My A3 2.0Tdi is too slow - Remap advice needed

spandexx

Reaction score
So, it seems to be the hot topic at the moment; the REVO remap. Can we please have some more clear details as to where the remap is up to?

I don't give a rat’s *** what figures the remap is putting out; I just want my 2.0Tdi manual to be a lot quicker, because - to be frank - it is too ****** slow!

I know, I know, you lot bang on as though it is a sports engine, but it is not - most new cars can hit 60 in under 10 seconds and that is all the 2.0tdi can do. It has nice torque, but for real world overtaking I still find it a bit weak. Climb into a REAL sports car and you will know what I mean.

So what I want is the power when I am feeling like a blat, a standard remap for servicing and when I come to hand the car back to my employer and a handy little box of tricks that can perform this switching task quickly and easily.

The REVO unit sounds like the one I need but I have not found any clear information as to if and when a 2.0Tdi manual version will be available.

Anyone got any reliable, clear info?

Cheers.

If you wanted a sports car you should have bought a sports car.

The 2.0TDI is not a sports car and never will be. But it is a great car to drive unless, of course, all you are interested in is how fast it goes.

Perhaps you should enquire if Audi will sell you one of their new 5.5 litre 12 cylinder bi-turbo engines from their new LeMan R10. Perhaps that will be fast enough for you.

Like J says the manual version is already available.

But the switching units are not ready until Jan 06 apparently. (I am eagerly awaiting one)

Call Doug at Revo HQ. He is very helpful indeed and can recommend a dealer etc of you don't want to go to Daventry.

tel 01327 301901

Some cautious thoughts - sounds like you have a manual? So you are used to changing gear a lot too?

Well I'm living with a REVO remap right now - performance isn't an issue /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif.

You get more power than either you (this isn't an ability comment) or the chassis can comfortably handle. Because of the engines power characteristics everything happens over a 3000 rpm rev range i.e. it idles at aboout 850 and max power is just under 4000rpm.

So what happens if you say have a REVO Remap? Well the engine speed spins up much faster so you will end up having to change gear faster (much, much faster /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif).

Traction becomes another issue - accelerating hard on a damp road can see the ESP light flickering away at 50mph as all that torque challenges the tires for grip.

If you want a quick TDi then this is the way to go - Gizze has driven MikeP's car and will vouch for the experience I'm sure.

I'd challenge the view that at Diesel can't offer a sporty experience - sure you can't rip across a 6000rpm power curve but you can sure make quick progress. You just do it in a different way.

I'm not going to go on about the outrageous power boost that my TDi got from Stealth Racing's REVO map load - except I'd love you to do the same to see if mine was a one off or the order of the day.

It isn't a sports car.you're right,but I know exactly what he means about "real world overtaking".
I got stuck behind an F reg Golf Gti the other night,bouncing magnificently on it's knackered back shocks.
When it came to a decent straight I pulled out to overtake.
Unfortunately,the **** in the smoky Gti put his foot down at the same time,and I REALLY struggled to get past.
At the start of the overtaking move,I was probably doing around 30mph and by the time I squeezed past the knackered Gti,I was doing around 70mph.
Of course,the change from 3rd to 4th was what really killed the overtake,but more power would have definitely helped.

If I'm forced to keep my car (we already have an A4 1.8T Cabriolet sitting redundant,so that doesn't help) then I will probably ask the MD if I can chip the A3.

The SPS1 switch for the TDi is available now, I'm using one!

Revo were reprogramming the SPS1 when I was there a couple of weeks ago, so there is a stock of them available.

The dealers can switch the code using a laptop as well.

[ QUOTE ]
It isn't a sports car.you're right,but I know exactly what he means about "real world overtaking".
I got stuck behind an F reg Golf Gti the other night,bouncing magnificently on it's knackered back shocks.
Unfortunately,the **** in the smoky Gti put his foot down at the same time,and I REALLY struggled to get past.
At the start of the overtaking move,I was probably doing around 30mph and by the time I squeezed past the knackered Gti,I was doing around 70mph.
Of course,the change from 3rd to 4th was what really killed the overtake,but more power would have definitely helped.

If I'm forced to keep my car (we already have an A4 1.8T Cabriolet sitting redundant,so that doesn't help) then I will probably ask the MD if I can chip the A3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brilliant Bowfer I like the description of the kackered GTI lots - instant image in my twisted little mind. As a DSG driver you get all the advantages going with remap - the box is just busier shifting gears and you drive around on a near never ending wall of grunt....truly, truly huge grin territory.

It is a company car, 90% of the time I need economy, a comfy ride, a relaxing interior, economy, a good stereo, economy, quality and a calm drive so it is great for the job at hand. That is why I did not opt for a 'sports' car as it would be useless for most of its life – I did consider a Civic Type R but I knew I would resent it very quickly.
But I do want a sporty car 10% of the time, without limitless cash a £500 unit to turn my dull company car into a 'sportier' more aggressive car seems to be just the ticket.
As I said above, the tone of this forum indicates the 2.0Tdi is a fire-breathing-sports-diesel when it is simply a better-than-most-but-still-mundane-diesel. Many of you do put it on a pedestal it does not deserve but don’t bite my head off for being honest with my metal.

[ QUOTE ]
The SPS1 switch for the TDi is available now, I'm using one!

Revo were reprogramming the SPS1 when I was there a couple of weeks ago, so there is a stock of them available.

The dealers can switch the code using a laptop as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't have to buy the switch when you get the remap done either - which reduces the initial cost by £150+VAT. I'm going to buy the said switch in January - kinder to the cash flow that way.

The switch is exactly what is says it is - it simply allows you to revert to the factory map when you feel like it. I was under the notion that the maps were swapped between the switch and the car (wrong again - becoming a habit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif) where in fact the switch just turns the revised map on and off with both sets of code remaining in the ECU.

MikeT cheers for the info.
MikeP can you point me in the direction of a dealer that will sell me this unit / fiddle with my motor?

Cheers.

[ QUOTE ]

So why dont they just give you a simple program for your laptop to swap back and forth...

[/ QUOTE ]

The cable that the REVO dealers use for uploading the remaps (between a laptop PC and the ODBC port) onto your car is rather clever. Effectively the cable holds 'credits' are consumed as the new map is transferred across. The dealer can only get more 'credits' to do more maps by buying them from REVO. Clever, damned clever!

So works slightly differently than a simple upload.

Can the switch be linked to my insurance company,so I only pay for the premium on the remap when I use it ?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pay-as-you-go remaps,now there's an idea...

Actually,maybe Audi themselves could do something as standard.

The DSG has a 'kick down' style throttle,so why not make the 'kick down' boost the power by,say,40bhp as long as you keep it pressed ?

Hey presto,normal car for 99% of the time and a nice wee boost when you need it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
As I said above, the tone of this forum indicates the 2.0Tdi is a fire-breathing-sports-diesel when it is simply a better-than-most-but-still-mundane-diesel. Many of you do put it on a pedestal it does not deserve but don’t bite my head off for being honest with my metal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair comment, it is still and oil burning, soot chucking, tractor. The addition of the Revo remap will eliminate the 'Mundane' bit though....BIG TIME!

MikeP,

I'm from Portugal, so I can I get Revo remap on my 2.0 TDi?
Maybe the only way is if I am the dealer of Revo in Portugal, no? :p

[ QUOTE ]
MikeT cheers for the info.
MikeP can you point me in the direction of a dealer that will sell me this unit / fiddle with my motor?

Cheers.

[/ QUOTE ]

spandexx

The closest dealers to Macc are

Votex
West St
Congleton, Cheshire CW121JR
UK
Phone: 01260297579

or

Prosport
Unit 18
Heaton Mersey Ind. Est.
Battersea Road
Heaton Mersey, Stockport SK4 3EA
UK
Phone: 0161 432 9999

[ QUOTE ]
MikeP,

I'm from Portugal, so I can I get Revo remap on my 2.0 TDi?
Maybe the only way is if I am the dealer of Revo in Portugal, no? :p

[/ QUOTE ]

ShaHeed

The dealer in Portugal is:

Power E Speed
Av 25 de Novembio
Ribeira de Baixo
Porto de Mos2480
Portugal
Phone: 351 244491455

Mike P - you are kidding?

Pro-sport in Heaton Mersey?

That's 0.4 miles from my house and I've never heard of them!

Better than driving 200 miles round trip to Daventry!

MikeP,

what kind of options (stages) are available already for 2.0 TDi Manual gear? Do you have power curves? I assume that mapping is done with original air filter and exhaust, is it? Can it be done for specific changes in 2.0 TDi?

There may be a 2 stage option available fairly soon as the production map for the TDi is much heavier on the fuel consumption than the original map developed on my car.

Kev at Revo is suggesting we may put my original code as the std Revo perfomance map and the new one as the stage 2 more aggresive map. The power curves for both map have been published here and on the Revo site I think. It's all done with the original induction and exhaust system.

No, it can't be done for specific changes, e.g. different CAI or exhaust, there's not much point as the ecu will adapt for it anyway!

Old thread it may be, but this is EXACTLY what happened to me this afternoon. It was a peugeot 106, foot down into 3rd and it seemed to take an age to get to 70mph. Ok it's not slow as such but I would like quite a bit more power when overtaking. I would say the 140 is quite slow for overtaking!

I tend to put mine in 4th as soon as im up to 30mph, lot easy and pulls away nicely if you need to..........

Agreed. 40mph from 30mph means that you get a lump of torque just at the point you're pulling out to overtake, straight round, no problems.

It's not an overtaking weapon, like some cars, but I've never had problems. 35-80 in 4th is perfect for most roads.

If you need it quicker, perhaps you need to reassess your choice of overtaking spots.