Turbo replacement decisions

Tommy53

Reaction score
Very soon i am doing a few big (costly) jobs on my car one of which is the turbo.

I quite like the sound of putting in a bigger turbo but i dont really know where to start looking. When people say a hybrid turbo, is that just a bigger turbo or a similar one with different components? For example, do people put the 170bhp turbo in the 140's or wont it fit.

Will i end up paying alot more for one of these uprated turbos? at the minute midlands have quoted £370 ish for a refurbed OEM with 2 years guarantee.

Just a thought but does adding a bigger turbo create more wear on the old clutch i have in?

Any information on this would be helpful thanks!

Very soon i am doing a few big (costly) jobs on my car one of which is the turbo.

I quite like the sound of putting in a bigger turbo but i dont really know where to start looking. When people say a hybrid turbo, is that just a bigger turbo or a similar one with different components? For example, do people put the 170bhp turbo in the 140's or wont it fit.

Will i end up paying alot more for one of these uprated turbos? at the minute midlands have quoted £370 ish for a refurbed OEM with 2 years guarantee.

Just a thought but does adding a bigger turbo create more wear on the old clutch i have in?

Any information on this would be helpful thanks!

Bigger turbos will cost more as they are physically bigger for one and the process of just chucking a turbo on isn't that simple.

You need mapping to suit the bigger turbo for example, which isn't cheap at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
perhaps i should stay with standard just for less hassle. thanks for the input and yes we will see what he says!

There seem to be numerous companies offering hybrid turbos for the TDI's. I've just put up a similar post as I'm thinking of going up to a stage 2. Darkside Developments do what appears to be a decent 'budget package' for a new turbo/map and from what I've read seem to come recommended.

I know little on the subject though so will watch both threads and see what comes of them. All I know is the more I read, the more the costs spiral!!

can you put a link of your thread in here mate so i can track both also? and thanks, i shall have a look at this package! Nothing is cheap on cars is it!

Here is the link to the thread I've started...

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...many-people-running-stage-2-more-140-tdi.html

And here is the package I mentioned...

Darkside 1.9 & 2.0 TDI Budget Turbo Kit inc Fitting and Mapping - Darkside Developments

I think my clutch is on the way out (although yet to be properly diagnosed) so that's a cost I need to add on regardless. Clutches seem to be a bit hit and miss with stage 2 from what I've read...some people say they've uprated, some people seem to manage on the standard. It's bound to put more stress on the clutch so maybe it's just a case of luck and the currect condition as to whether yours lasts the distance or not?!

Your best option is as already mentioned is a hybrid turbo. However as mentioned again you'll need a remap. What hasn't been mentioned is if you're going to the hassle of a hybrid you are best to upgrading your exhaust system from turbo back and you'll need an upgraded clutch such as a Sachs clutch to cope with the extra torque around 400lbft. Your standard air intake is more than capable as well as the intercooler however if you find a hole in your pocket you could upgrade these too, to a lets say a forced induction kit and a forged front mount intercooler.

Bigger the turbo the more fun you have ;-)

All sounds abit dear for me at the minute, think ill give it a miss and upgrade in the future! And stop tempting me, my wallets light enough as it is at the minute haha! Costing me £800 just in parts for turbo and head gasket replacement :-|

I got my Turbo Dynamics hybrid for £500 then fitting + stage 2 remap from amd = £800 totalling £1300 for 200bhp... ive heard anything about 210bhp then things need uprating like the clutch.

Id like to get the turbo back exhaust but thats another £900 :( then £700-800 new clutch, hoses, injectors etc etc for 260bhp EXPENSIVE!

Reactions: Tommy53
Stock intercooler isnt as good as everyone says it is so twintercooler would be good as well im getting one later this year

It's all very very expensive isn't !! Hope to get all that done one day :)

Second hand turbo i would still recon it just to be on the safe side as dried oil and other bit of Debry could be in turbo charger also never know how long its been sitting in the garage or box etc

I'm getting it from midlands turbos myself so it'll be like new and has two years guarantees. Heard good things about this company too