Hydrodipping DIY - Pics

JoeDeeJay

Reaction score
Hey there, just thought I'd share with you guys my project of the day!

I bought the black abs plastic grill badges off eBay, with having a black car I thought it blended in too much so thought I'd have a dabble at Hydrodipping in Carbon Fibre

Materials needed/used

Masking Tape
Scissors
Sand Paper
Plastic Primer
Base Coat (I used Nimbus Grey)
Clear Lacquer
Hydrodip Film
Hydrodip Activator Spray
Tank/Tub begin enough and deep enough to completely submerge the dipped part

Plenty of guides on youtube and google that I followed but here are a few pics I took along the way

Before Lacquer

After lacquer

I'll get a pic of it on the car later on tomorrow after Ive left the lacquer to competely set. What are peoples initial thoughts? I probably spent tops of £35 for everything and have plenty of film + paint left to do other tiddly bits should I want to

What are peoples thoughts? Yay or nay? Personally think it looks better than the gloss black badge I had on

I was quoted £30 by a company to do my front/rear badge so thought Id have a punt at it myself. Glad I did, I still have a good 80cm worth of carbon film to play with. Not really sure what else I could do mind you lol :)

Looks good dude, I'm a fan of Carbon and Black together.

Maybe do the lower grey splitter in middle of the front bumper Carbon if you've got enough?

Could do the surround plastic on the wing mirror rather than the caps themselves, wouldnt be as in your face then.

Like the idea of the front splitter too, wouldnt even need to give it a base coat it as its already titanium in colour, although finding a tank big enough to submerge it in might be a task

How about the bath?

I'm new to this stuff, is it removable if you don't like it, or is it pretty final?

It isnt removable like a vinyl. I did a few trial runs first on my old audi badge, I did manage to strip it off with some mild thinners but I wouldnt recommend doing that on any plastic as it will just melt/bubble