Internal Boot Release

ScottD3

I want your faulty electronics
Supporter
Reaction score
Website
wheelsnwires.blogspot.com
I was helping a mate replace his rear wiper motor and boot catch today and I noticed the boot release lever.

Why is there a boot release lever inside the boot?

The general thought or two in the office is A) You accidentally lock yourself in the boot or B) cause its a Audi, a well known gangster car and as well know gangsters like to carry people in the boot. Its to help people get out of the boot if they are kidnapped and wake up inside the boot.

That was our bit of fun in the office today.

What's your thoughts on the level or is there a proper Audi line for the lever?

In case someone has the fault as per your colleague & it fails to unlock.

I was helping a mate replace his rear wiper motor and boot catch today and I noticed the boot release lever.

Why is there a boot release lever inside the boot?

The general thought or two in the office is A) You accidentally lock yourself in the boot or B) cause its a Audi, a well known gangster car and as well know gangsters like to carry people in the boot. Its to help people get out of the boot if they are kidnapped and wake up inside the boot.

That was our bit of fun in the office today.

What's your thoughts on the level or is there a proper Audi line for the lever?

It's for all the above really, but mainly for if all other release mechanisms fail.

I used to build BMW Mini's, which have their hatch release ring installed under the rear seat squab. If you pull the rear seat squab up (subsequently unclipping it from the chasis) you'll see a little plastic ring attached to a cable, located centrally on the chasis, under where the seat was. I believe most, if not all modern cars, have this feature.

In addition, it makes it very handy for those building the car. It's one of the very first parts to be assembled on the car, after it's been through the paint shop. There are times, very early on in the assembly phase and throughout the rest of the build, where the tailgate needs to be opened and closed., hence why the latch gets fitted very early on, and the tailgate release cable gets fitted straight after. The actual lock and electrical systems are installed much later, so the monkeys need a way of opening the tailgate prior to that.

Last edited:
Reactions: CHEZ
In case someone has the fault as per your colleague & it fails to unlock.

It's for all the above really, but mainly for if all other release mechanisms fail.

I used to build BMW Mini's, which have their hatch release ring installed under the rear seat squab. If you pull the rear seat squab up (subsequently unclipping it from the chasis) you'll see a little plastic ring attached to a cable, located centrally on the chasis, under where the seat was. I believe most, if not all modern cars, have this feature.

O yeah they got a little popper to fire the boot.
Forgot all about that.

Shows how much attention I paid to it. lol