Engine Codes and 2.0 TFSi Cranks

15Degrees

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Whilst researching the differences between cranks for my race car I came across this little gem. So I thought I would post it here for you.

VWVortex.com - 2.0 TFSI vs. 1.8T crankshaft

Here is comparison between 2.0 TFSI crankshaft 06A 105 021 AR and 1.8 T crankshaft 06A 105 021. Both crankshafts are from transverse engines.

How to know which one is which - 2.0 TFSI is new, 1.8 T is used.

Both cranks are from Europe.

History - there are three part numbers for 2.0TFSI crankshaft : first was 06A105021E, than was this number replaced with 06A105021S, and finaly was this number replaced with 06A105021AR.

Units are in milimeters.

My findings are - that crankshafts are identical, only difference is tooth gear wheel for oil pump ! 2.0 TFSI has 21 tooths, 1.8 T has 19 tooths. Part number for 2.0 TFSI tooth gear wheel is 06B 105 209 and for 1.8T is 06A 105 209.

Here in Europe we can buy 06A 105 209 tooth gear wheel for around 20 USD. Both cranks have the same diameter where this tooth gear is attached - so no problem at all for a swap. 2.0 TFSI crankshaft is a lot stronger (on one photo a pointed out this difference) and it weights 1kg more that 1.8T crankshaft.

I can only speculate that first crankshaft for 2.0 FSI was 06A 105 021 E and in VW Tech documents there is a text that 2.0 TFSI crankshaft is reinforced over 2.0 FSI crank and I think that first 2.0 TFSI were using 06A 105 021 S crankshaft and maybe 06A 105 021 S is stronger than 06A 105 021 E. And I speculate that maybe 06A 105 021 S and 06A 105 021 AR are identicly reinforced.

Engine codes

VWVortex.com - AXX Vs BWA 2.0 TFSI

I read this in your readers ride, and don;t understand it.
It says the cranks are identical, which I'm pretty sure isn;t the case.
Am I reading it wrong?

I read this in your readers ride, and don;t understand it.
It says the cranks are identical, which I'm pretty sure isn;t the case.
Am I reading it wrong?

This is what he states. I would want to do my own measurements to verify them.

"My findings are - that crankshafts are identical, only difference is tooth gear wheel for oil pump ! 2.0 TFSI has 21 tooths, 1.8 T has 19 tooths. Part number for 2.0 TFSI tooth gear wheel is 06B 105 209 and for 1.8T is 06A 105 209."

I would add that the other difference is that the 2.0 is stronger and thicker and heavier.

This is what he states. I would want to do my own measurements to verify them.

"My findings are - that crankshafts are identical, only difference is tooth gear wheel for oil pump ! 2.0 TFSI has 21 tooths, 1.8 T has 19 tooths. Part number for 2.0 TFSI tooth gear wheel is 06B 105 209 and for 1.8T is 06A 105 209."

I would add that the other difference is that the 2.0 is stronger and thicker and heavier.

Is he just ignoring the fact that they have different stroke (sorry if thats the wrong terminology)

Is he just ignoring the fact that they have different stroke (sorry if thats the wrong terminology)

Depends if the stroke is on the crank journal or the rod length. It's much easier for a manufacturer to alter rod length to change stroke between motors than it is to make a complete new crank. They try as best they can to utilize the same parts in as many motors as they can to cut down on production costs.

Looking at his pictures the webs and journals do appear to be exactly the same but I would want to measure them myself and not rely on my eye.

Depends if the stroke is on the crank journal or the rod length. It's much easier for a manufacturer to alter rod length to change stroke between motors than it is to make a complete new crank. They try as best they can to utilize the same parts in as many motors as they can to cut down on production costs.

Looking at his pictures the webs and journals do appear to be exactly the same but I would want to measure them myself and not rely on my eye.

I'm currently looking into stroking my 1.8t and anyone who does this changes to the TFSi crank (or 2.0 cast crank from the earlier engine). I've automatically assumed its different, otherwise, why bother changing. I might be wrong. I'm sure someone will come along soon to confirm.