Last night was not a good night...

powerplay

Grrrr
Reaction score
Not the best thing you want to see when you get back to your car in the evening... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

ohdear.jpg

... and I don't mean the tartan rug (which I borrowed btw!)

Oh no! That's awfull.

Did they take anything from the car? Any collateral damage? (apart from the busted window of course)

Nothing was stolen, there was nothing on show in the car - they decided to leave my windscreen demister sponge alone!

Seems like it was just malicious. Looked at it this morning and it's a right mess! Fragments absolutely everywhere, and still the stone on the back seat that was lobbed through the window.

Have already contacted insco and am booked in to Autoglass for a temporary fix until they get the right piece of glass in, hopefully tomorrow.

I am a little concerned over the door paintwork, seems to be a number of very fine scratches where bits of glass have fallen. Not sure if these can be sorted or not?

Thats crap! You really do need to break all the fingers. Some ScatchX are Meguairs stage 1 might get them out.

[ QUOTE ]
Not the best thing you want to see when you get back to your car in the evening... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

... and I don't mean the tartan rug (which I borrowed btw!)

[/ QUOTE ]

That is really bad news, at least you were not in the car when the rock arrived.

Sorry to see that - hopefully a new window and a clean up will bring it back to new again. Had it twice myself in car parks. Gutting but at least it can be easily repaired.

Many insurance companies cover directly attributable scratches to the paintwork from the broken glass as part of the claim for the window (e.g. included within your £50 or £60 glass xs, rather than part of the £250 normal accidental damage xs I have). So you might be able to sort them out too if needs be. The policy should explain in detail what they will cover.

Man thats not good....

Jealousy probably, little /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif have no idea of common decency

b@stards... they even turned your steering wheel upside down.

Man, feel for you though. Having your car broken into feels so personal.

gutted for you hope it sorts out with touching up the paint

was this outside your house ?

if so i would be carefull..

its a way fo them testing if the alarm is loud enough to wake you or anyone else...

then when the cars been fixed with the new window they steal the car...

[ QUOTE ]
was this outside your house ?

if so i would be carefull..

its a way fo them testing if the alarm is loud enough to wake you or anyone else...

then when the cars been fixed with the new window they steal the car...

[/ QUOTE ]
Good point. Did the alarm go off?

[ QUOTE ]
Good point. Did the alarm go off?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well its ironically funny you should mention that. In a word, NO. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

Which is the reason why I was back into the dealer today, after visiting Autoglass for them to fit a temporary perspex covering until the right glass comes into stock, hopefully tomorrow.

I had left the car parked in a carpark, along with other cars, just off a main road and I was in a nearby building not 30 feet away. I came back to the car after half an hour to find window smashed, glass everywhere and stone lying on back seat.

And the "alarm" never sounded, the car unlocked and flashed the indicators as normal when I unplipped it.

As it happens, the car is booked in to local Audi dealer on Thursday to have the drivers side mirror slow-folding/sticking problem sorted out, along with investigating creaking steering and sqeaking rear suspension. And now they're adding to the list the alarm.

Ya know I read somewhere, can't think where, that Audi were renouned for their quality and attention to detail. This owner is yet to be convinced /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

My alarm goes off again and again even if I leave a window open by a couple of inches and somebody walks past?

I've never actually heard my alarm. I must set it off one day at least to hear what it sounds like.

One my previous 8L A3 my alarm went off in the middle of the night whilst the car was in my garage. I used the remote to switch it off and checked all was OK. Could not see any reason for the alarm to sound.

When I got in the car the next day and looked at the rear-view mirror it was missing. A few days earlier I had a new windscreen fitted and the mirror had come unstuck. The movement of the mirror falling off had been picked up by the ultra-sonic and set off the alarm

Come to think of it nor have I, better set it off to make sure that it gets me out of bed when it goes off!

Out with the baseball bat and macheti!

Perhaps a garage would be a better bet. A baseball bat and macheti will only get you arrested for causing injuries to some poor little car thief. You must remember who's side the police and courts are on and it's not yours!

I left the window partially open outside the offy last week, walked out and saw the indicators flashing and the horn sounding, my stomach just sank till I realised what i'd done.

Didn't hear it from inside the small shop with the door wide open though.

[ QUOTE ]
Didn't hear it from inside the small shop with the door wide open though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah the factory fit alarm is more like an old boy whistling on the back porch than an alarm.

I've had mine go off a couple of times when forgetting to turn off the interior sensors and leaving the kids in the car, yet I didn't hear it.

I think the amount of noise an alarm can make is covered by EU 'type approval' regulations. A lot of people get fed-up with hearing car alarms which seem to go off for all sorts of silly reasons. I think that is why the EU decided to make manufactirers limit the noise output.

Further to my earlier post the noise output from a car alarm is limited by EU Regulations to 120dB.

So is it the general concensus that the alarm *may* have sounded but was too pussy to be heard? If so its a bit useless, I was only inside about 25 feet away and really could have done with being alarmed!

Surely if it had sounded there must have been something to indicate on my return the alarm *had* sounded, like indicators still blinking or something.

I plipped the car and it unlocked as normal as if nothing had happened!

Anyway, dealer is taking a look tomorrow.

During summer I left the front windows down half an inch in our office car park to keep our Sportback cool, and when I came back the hazards were flashing. I would guess that this means the alarm had gone off earlier on. Didn't hear it go off because I'm on the other side of the building.

Our director has an A4 convertible and I've seen his hazards flashing as well, so it must be a feature of Audi security systems. Does anyone know this for sure, and also, any tips for the best way for testing the alarm?

Yes, the Audi alarm does not sound like an alarm at all, more like a lorry reversing or a clock radio with a pillow over it. Worse than useless as they have a tendency to go off in the middle of the night and barely annoy the neighbours.

To test it just sit still in the car, blip it, wait about 60 seconds then move around to set it off.

[ QUOTE ]
I think tha audi alarm is about 12dB!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Bit like the horn then!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gifh

Some of you may recall I had the same problem 3 weeks after receiving my new Sportback - some scrote put the driver's window through and managed to find my (hidden) TomTom GPS.

The windscreen company (whoever RAC bought) did a rubbish job - the perspex temp window was almost useless and I had to have them out 3 times to install the glass window properly (first time they brought the wrong glass and the second time the window actually dropped off the mounting into the door frame!) On the 3rd time I took it into the repair shop but when I drove off I found that the window would not auto up/down, I had to hold the button ... so I was back again 2 mins later (so maybe 4 attempts then).

Every so often my window still gets stuck but I've learnt to open the door and slam it shut. The top of the window still gets coated in tape "sticky" from where the perspec temp window was secured.

I'm just glad this is a company car.

Re the alarm volume - two of my neighbours heard the alarm but they thought it was a truck or taxi reversing (we live in a cul de sac so it's not uncommon).

Since the window was put through I've noticed the LED for the alarm system no longer works.

Will get all the niggles worked out at the service but just thought I'd supply a couple of pointers for anyone in the same unfortunate position.

Well I decided to test the alarm, via the sitting in the car and locking it method.

Managed to set the alarm off. The indicators sounded, and what I thought was a mouse in the boot seemed to have a sneezing fit.

Pathetic. How is that ever Thatham approved??

If the alarm made a lot of noise it would probably NOT get Thatcham approval. The noise level is limited to 120dB by law. Far too many alarms going off for no real reason and causing general annoyance is why the law now limits the noise level of car alarms.

Generally no one takes any notice of a car alarm anyway. Most people just think its another fause alarm.

120db should be kinda loud though, shouldn't it? The alarm I heard was totally pointless.

If I'd actually heard my car alarm go off when parked outside, I'd damn sure have taken notice!!!

Maybe, but by the time the alarm goes off the damage has already been done. The most important part of a Thatcham 1 alarm system is the multi-point immobilsier circuits which stop the car from being started and driven away.

If you do see the 'little darlings' creating the damage what do you do. Chase them and risk getting beaten up. Even if you catch them, the police will either not be interested or charge you with attacking them.

[ QUOTE ]
If you do see the 'little darlings' creating the damage what do you do. Chase them and risk getting beaten up. Even if you catch them, the police will either not be interested or charge you with attacking them.

[/ QUOTE ]

<sigh> Sadly yes, you're unfortunately correct. </sigh>

[ QUOTE ]
120db should be kinda loud though, shouldn't it? The alarm I heard was totally pointless.

If I'd actually heard my car alarm go off when parked outside, I'd damn sure have taken notice!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
I think that's all the alarm is good for - alerting the owner of the vehicle. I've certainly never heard of a member of the public reacting to an alarm by calling the police - unless of course, it's causing a nuisance ...

I think that's all the alarm is good for - alerting the owner of the vehicle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Precisely my point. In this instance it did not even manage to do that - if it ever sounded at all of course, still to be resolved...

Perhaps what is needed is an alarm system that, rather than make a noise and annoy everyone else, it just rings the owners mobile phone.

There are a few of these on the market these days, i made one a few years ago that you could text to see what state various things are in (Lights onn/off, doors locked/open alarm on off etc)