Audi A3 8P 04MY 2.0FSI Manual fluid under bumper / on drive

gazza_p

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've recently spent a fortune getting the beast serviced and all seemed kind of OK...

Firstly, since it's had 4 new uridium (I think thats what they were called?) spark plugs, the idle isn't so great at lights when warm, although having read some stuff here, i take it it might be coils that are the issue here... not so worried about that...

The bit thats concerning me is there seems to be a red / pink fluid that seems to be coming down from the front off side bumper. It doesn't smell of anything and looks a bit oily. Is this power steering fluid? A bit green on Audi's but there is a pinky fluid in a reservoir at the top right that looks like it has lost some fluid (looks low).

Anyone seen this? Can I get underneath and fix do you think or is this a back to the garage jobby? Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,
Gaz.

ImageThis is the reservoir

Thats the coolant mate, sure you ain't got a loose clip on a hose or something? It shouldn't be oily though.

thanks Aky20 - I'll check when it gets light. It could be the hose connecting to the radiator then if its
coming from there I guess?

the car isn't clean underneath the bumper so I could be getting residue off it making it seem thick perhaps. Paper is under there now to catch anything for tomorrow. Thanks for the steer!

Yeah most likely to be a loose jubilee clip to the radiator or the radiator itself.

When was the cam belt water pump changed on the car as it could be the pump leaking, but you haven't noticed the temperature shoot up or the coolant level significantly drop?

Leaky radiators are a very common fault , just had mine replaced it wasn't expensive it leaked right at the bottom corner and collected under the bumper sometimes dumping it on my drive

Leaky radiators are a very common fault , just had mine replaced it wasn't expensive it leaked right at the bottom corner and collected under the bumper sometimes dumping it on my drive

You need to get it on a ramp to see it with the engine guard off.. You'll see a white residue around the corner if it is indeed leaking

Thanks AKY - According to the service schedule it was done 1 year ago at 74,000 miles.

I couldn't see anything lose underneath but the car was on the floor... I've asked a mate for a lend of a trolley jack and some axel stands so I can have a proper look on Saturday. Is the pump connected at the bottom of the timing belt? I haven't noticed the temperature increasing but the coolant level has definitely dropped.

OVRA - thanks mate. Will have a look at that, great advice. How much was your rad?

Pump is driven off the Cambelt within the plastic cambelt covers. Check hoses and rad for signs of leaks. Sometimes they can leak out of the drain point on the rad.