Main beam on a Xenon fitted car

Karcsi

Reaction score
A bit crap aren't they? The ones on my father's A4 provide a way fuller beam. Mine seem to have a hole in the middle, or just not very good at all. Athe H7 Osrams Silver Star / Philips 50+ just as good replacements for the main beam as they are for the dipped? Considering getting them from powerbulbs.co.uk with a pair of matching side lights for the Xenons.

Oh, and are the PIAA Extreme H7 worth the additional £40? Who sells these, as I cannot see them on the powerbulbs site? Cheers.

I can only talk from exeprience about Philips blue vision and Osram Silverstars. The blue visions were better than standard bulbs in my Volvo but they wore out in less than a year(driving lights are on all the time though), the Silverstars were slightly brighter and seem to have lasted much longer so far. I didnt get the PIAA bulbs as the review I read stated that they werent any better than some of the other higher powered bulbs and are manufactured in china by the same factory as some of the others in the review(other makes inc philips, osram, halfords own, lucas etc although i cant remember which are made were). They summed the PIAAs up saying that your only paying for the name really. Silverstars got the editors choice though.

Cheers Dandle. I've ordered the Osrams, with free Phillips Blue side lights, and 10% off thanks to the promotional code Eeef posted some time ago. Cheers Eeef. Should be here by the wkend.

You have to more careful how you word this now - the 2006 MY Xenon equipped cars have bi-Xenons that provide a Xenon light main beam as well as dip - and they ain't that bad!

Ok. May be I should have a signature, and then it would be clear that I ain't talking about Xenon Plus. Then again if I was I would have said Xenon Plus.

Bit peeved that Audi took their time introducing Xenon for main beam, as BMW have been for years.

Audi seem to have skipped mentioning anthing about the Bi Xenon stuff - even the price list avoids it.

Hence i had no idea I could have them on my 2006 sportback, which has normal xenons and rubbish orangy yellow main beams that don't make a great deal of difference. My wife's Peugeot 106 seems to have a better full beam! No comparison with the xenon dipped though.

Xenon plus has only been added to the configurator the dealer uses in the last month or so. The first car i ordered in Sept it stated xenon on the options sheet the dealer printed after it was ordered. The new car ordered at the begining of this month states xenon plus on the same sheet. The brochure still only states normal xenon though.

Does anyone know how to replace the side-lights on the Xenon's? I had a look and the bulb is really hard to get at, the mainbeam buld is difficult enough!!

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone know how to replace the side-lights on the Xenon's? I had a look and the bulb is really hard to get at, the mainbeam buld is difficult enough!!

[/ QUOTE ]
I've done it. It's not too difficult - have a search in this forum under sidelights and you should find the posts.

Interested about the Osram main beams though - I've got Xenon lighting and also think the main beams are weak.

Not really to do a true retrofit(assuming you have halogen lights) you would need the rear suspension sensors that tell the lights how high to set the beam. Also totally new light units with the HID ballasts and im not sure how hard the wiring would be to set up for the high/low beam and also driving lights which come with xenon plus. I believe the light units alone are over £600 each, so I would price it roughly at around £16-1800 just for the parts. If you already have xenons then maybe £1400 ish as the light units still need changing as they have a high/low beam shutter to change the light from the xenon tube.