Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Gfermer
  • 1 Post By Sidhu88
  • 2 Post By veeeight

Thread: What psi do you run?

2nd Gear

Status

What psi do you run?

Maybe seems like a silly post but just wondering what psi people run in there tyres checked my door panel and it reckons I should have 42psi in front and 33 in back I have 59 plate 3 door s3 with 225/40 18 inch tyres just thought it seemed pretty high I've only put 35 psi in them just now scared to put to much in but also don't want to not have enough as I've just put 4 new eagle f1 tyres on oh and it's only usually myself and passenger in car thanks
    KrAzY K likes this.

2. # ADS
    ADS

S3 Pollution Plus+ Edition

Status
    42 front. 40 rear. 225/40 R18. for me.
    2012 Ibis Black Edition S-tronic S3, 3 Door, Shark Stage 2, MTC Intake Kit, Powerflex Fast Road Dogbone Mount, Full Non Res Milltek Exhaust, Forge Development Intercooler + DV system,
    340bhp Mikes Ibis BE 2012 S3...

2nd Gear

Status
    Thanks ill go and put more in tomorrow

3rd Gear

Status
    39 front and 33rear. Mine says I should have 39/42 front and 30 back, with 3people in the car. I think 30 is too low and 42 is too high (my personal opinion obviously)

5th Gear

Status
    34 front 30 rear, 225 40 18

4th Gear

Status
    38 all round 225/40/18
    NHN likes this.
    2006 Audi A3 2.0 TDI S-Line 8P2 PD170 - Dolphin Grey Metallic - The problem child
    1994 VW Golf VR6 - Mystic Blue - The money thief
    VCDS User

3rd Gear

Status
    I've always run 32psi all round and it sticks like s**t to a blanket.

2nd Gear

Status
    38 Front, 35 Back
    225/40/18
    2005 Audi A3 2.0 TDI DSG S-line (8p1)
    Mods: 18" Gloss Black RS4's - 8p2 S-line Front Bumper - Black Grill - A5 LED Number Plate lights - LED Sidelights - Euro Style Plates - EGR Delete - RTech Custom Remap - Hot Start Issue Fix
    Pipeline: Lowering, Wheel Refurb, Coming Home Lights

2007 VW Golf 2.0 GT TDI 140 (Wife's)
    Mods: 18" Charlestons

4th Gear

Status
    36 all round for me, even wear so far ....
    Audi A4 BE 2.0 TDI 177 Quattro

Enthusiast

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbieWebs View Post
    36 all round for me, even wear so far ....
    I got 31 front / 30 rear 2.0tdi SE
    Doesn't ride feel stiff with 36?
    VCDS USER

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    36-38.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SAiLO View Post
    I got 31 front / 30 rear 2.0tdi SE
    Doesn't ride feel stiff with 36?
    No m8 not with 18's could probably go to 38 and still feel fine.
    Don't know where audi get their figures of 40+ but I'm weary of putting that much into them.
    Must admit its a grey area and probably preference what u pump them up to
    Audi A4 BE 2.0 TDI 177 Quattro

In awe of VCDS

Status
    I just go with what Audi say on the sticker in the door shut. As I generally only have just me and my wife in the car, I went with the pressures for up to 3 people and 1 suitcase (?). 42 at the front, 36 at the rear in my 225/40x18's. It feels fine, I'm not getting any unusual wear and I get around 60mpg on my 10 mile drive at 60mph on the M1.
    Being a diesel, I always assumed the pressures were so high because of the weight of the diesel lump. Although whether that's still true for modern diesels I'm not sure.

20130807_075237.jpg

Surely running much more than a few psi below the amount on the sticker will affect the mpg?

Michellin reckon that 7psi under the recommended amount is dangerously underinflated. (I think they may be exagerating slightly though).
    Check your tyre pressures at least once a month | Care Guide | | Learn and Share | MICHELIN

The AA also say that 8psi underinflated will cost you 10% in mpg. About 5 or 6 mpg in a diesel. Again, this is probably debatable though.

I wish I knew more about tyres, there's so much conflicting information. It sounds like most people on here are running less than what Audi recommend and not experiencing any issues.
    Now: 2010 A3 SB S-Line Black Edition 2.0TDi 140CR. Panther Black
    Retro'd: Black S-Line badges | Private Plate | Come home lights activated | Fogs as corning lights activated | Hill hold assist activated | TPMS (via VCDS) activated | 3.5" s/s tailpipe | LED interior lighting.

Gone: 2007 A3 SB Sport TDI 140. Dolphin Grey

2nd Gear

Status
    I just go with the sticker, seems fine to me...

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by danb986 View Post
    I just go with what Audi say on the sticker in the door shut. As I generally only have just me and my wife in the car, I went with the pressures for up to 3 people and 1 suitcase (?). 42 at the front, 36 at the rear in my 225/40x18's. It feels fine, I'm not getting any unusual wear and I get around 60mpg on my 10 mile drive at 60mph on the M1.
    Being a diesel, I always assumed the pressures were so high because of the weight of the diesel lump. Although whether that's still true for modern diesels I'm not sure.

20130807_075237.jpg

Surely running much more than a few psi below the amount on the sticker will affect the mpg?

Michellin reckon that 7psi under the recommended amount is dangerously underinflated. (I think they may be exagerating slightly though).
    Check your tyre pressures at least once a month | Care Guide | | Learn and Share | MICHELIN

The AA also say that 8psi underinflated will cost you 10% in mpg. About 5 or 6 mpg in a diesel. Again, this is probably debatable though.

I wish I knew more about tyres, there's so much conflicting information. It sounds like most people on here are running less than what Audi recommend and not experiencing any issues.
    Pay attention to the amount of people it has with the suggested PSI. My car only has me in it 90% of the time and i don't weigh much.

So as an example, it suggests with 3 people and suitcase to run 42 front and 36 rear. Im running 38 all round, I should realistically drop a few psi on the rear but i've never had any problems with it as it is for as long as i've had these tyres and im coming upto 12k on them i think.

I think what should really determine ur psi aside from weight is driving style, i think a higher pressure may prove for lower rolling resistance and a lower pressure for more resistance but maybe better grip because the tyre can compress more into the ground under load. (opinion not fact) What i'd suggest is trying different psi's to see what suits u, trial and error until u find what works
    Last edited by Sidhu88; 7th August 2013 at 15:41.
    2006 Audi A3 2.0 TDI S-Line 8P2 PD170 - Dolphin Grey Metallic - The problem child
    1994 VW Golf VR6 - Mystic Blue - The money thief
    VCDS User

In awe of VCDS

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidhu88 View Post
    Pay attention to the amount of people it has with the suggested PSI. My car only has me in it 90% of the time and i don't weigh much.

So as an example, it suggests with 3 people and suitcase to run 42 front and 36 rear. Im running 38 all round, I should realistically drop a few psi on the rear but i've never had any problems with it as it is for as long as i've had these tyres and im coming upto 12k on them i think.

I think what should really determine ur psi aside from weight is driving style, i think a higher pressure may prove for lower rolling resistance and a lower pressure for more resistance but maybe better grip because the tyre can compress more into the ground under load. (opinion not fact) What i'd suggest is trying different psi's to see what suits u, trial and error until u find what works
    Thanks, that makes a lot of sense.
    Now: 2010 A3 SB S-Line Black Edition 2.0TDi 140CR. Panther Black
    Retro'd: Black S-Line badges | Private Plate | Come home lights activated | Fogs as corning lights activated | Hill hold assist activated | TPMS (via VCDS) activated | 3.5" s/s tailpipe | LED interior lighting.

Gone: 2007 A3 SB Sport TDI 140. Dolphin Grey

5th Gear

Status
    Note that if you have XL rated tyres fitted - these have re-enforced sidewalls, and have to run at a higher pressure than non-XL rated tyres.

An XL tyre fitment as standard makes sense on a S3. With a low profile tyre, there isn't much of a sidewall. An XL tyre has reinforced sidewalls to cope with the additional lateral cornering dynamics, and enables the tyre to run at a higher inflation pressure to cope.
    A non XL 88Y tyre, whilst having a lower static loading, hasn't got reinforced sidewalls!

Interestingly, a XL tyre inflated to the same pressure as a non XL tyre has a lower load capacity. A XL tyre must be inflated to, and run at a higher pressure than a non XL tyre to achieve the same load capacity. This explains why recent 8P's run at 42psi on the front.

Also:

The manufacturer recommended pressure will not necessary tie in with your objectives
    Theirs is a compromise figure, for all round workability in a variety of different situations (eg: load, mpg etc).
    If you are seeking maximum grip, for example, then a variance of pressure by a few psi will yield the results you are looking for (grip), at the expense of something else (wear).

More info on tyre pressures on A3/S3:
    Best Tyre Pressure for S3?
    Lima and danb986 like this.

S3 8V 3DR DSG ACC ABS ADS AMI ASR ASS DAB DBW DIS DRL EBA EBD EDL EGR EPB EPS ESP GPS LED MFSW MMI PDC PSF RAC SDXC TFSI CO2 EEC OTR WTF OMG

AUSmotive.com

Status
    Usually 40psi all round (225/40/18).
    AUSmotive.com // AUSringers.com

AUDI: MY10 S3 (8P3) / Nav+AMI / Sunroof / Blackout Grille / RS6 FBMFSW / PSS10s / Milltek TBE / APR HPFP / APR Stage 2+ tune

Neutral

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Richard Peters On Twitter
    Having seen this thread I thought I'd check mine (recently purchased the car). 44 at the front! Given its usually just me in the car I should maybe reduce that a little!
    Ibis White Black Edition Sportback