Possible nox sensor fault?

sobrien1990

Reaction score
Hi all having a bit of an issue with my A3.
its an 04 petrol 2.0l fsi

The problem.

Currently the engine light is on so i gave it a scan and it came up with three fault codes.

p1031 Intake manifold air control valve position sensor - specification not attained

p1032
Nitrogen oxides (NOx) sensor - signal too high

p1033
Nitrogen oxides (NOx) sensor - signal too low

ive only scanned it with a cheap ebay lead so don't trust the codes 100%

The car seems to be driving normally no noticeable loss of power or erratic rpm
however occasionally the car will loose all power and go into limp mode turn ignition off re start the car and the problem goes away.

could a fault with the intake valve be causing the nox sensor faults?
is it worth having the intake valve removed and cleaned or just replace it to rule it out ?
are the nox sensors easy to get to so i could give them a quick resistance check and check the wiring?

I would admit i haven't done that much research yet and don't know my way around the a3 too well yet hopefully one of you guys have come across the same or similar issue in the past

Thanks in advance

Sam

That looks like a bit of cut/pasting going on there lol.

Quite possibly the intake flap is faulty & the 2 sensors are faulty, but strange both sensors go at same time, which may question if its a wiring issue, checked all fuses yes?

Thanks for the reply

i hadn't checked the fuses but just checked them and they are fine

could anyone point out the location of the sensors ?
and is it possible to test them maybe a resistance check ?

Im going to look at replacing the sensor has anyone had one replaced how much should i expect to pay at a local garage?

could anyone recommend a good place to buy one from? had a look on ebay doesn't seem to be a lot on there will try the local motor factors tomorrow see if they can help.

im assuming its a fairly easy component to change

Hi Sobrien, did you have much luck with this? I have an 04 2.0 FSI as well. I had a p1031 a couple of months ago that only happen on cold starts. It went away after replacing the battery that was very old and struggling to start the car in the winter.

A few days ago I started having a p2203: NOx sensor circuit high bank 1.

So far it has gone into limp mode once doing 70mph on the motorway (EPC and ESP came on together with the EML). Slowed down and stopped and the engine was idling very roughly. Restarted the car and it is now running fine but the p2203 error remains.

Any ideas?

Thanks