JMB RetrofitsChris Nott
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By S3_Mat

Thread: Auxillary Water Pump?

1st Gear

Status

Auxillary Water Pump?

Ok so I've done a fair bit of searching which didn't bring back a conclusive answer and I wanted some more expert opinions on a probably that has only just been noticed after a private sale.

I have a 2006 S3 on 52k miles (Cambelt and internal water pump were changed at 41k as per the 5 year recommendation) and after some spirted driving after the engine is off there is a noise coming from the engine bay but is only audible for 10 - 15 seconds, not really enough time to get the bonnet up and investigate. Its reminiscent of the noise that came from my seat Ibiza Cupra 1.8T when the auxiliary water pump was on the way out.

Could anyone shed any light on if the 2.0 TFSI engines have a secondary pump? Are they any fairly easy job to do yourself? Also if they don't have an aux water pump does anyone has suggestions as to what this could be?

Any help would be appreciated. Apart from this the car is perfect and loving every minute of it.. i was blown away with the effortless speed even in standard form.

Mat

2. # ADS
    ADS

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3_Mat View Post
    Ok so I've done a fair bit of searching which didn't bring back a conclusive answer and I wanted some more expert opinions on a probably that has only just been noticed after a private sale.

I have a 2006 S3 on 52k miles (Cambelt and internal water pump were changed at 41k as per the 5 year recommendation) and after some spirted driving after the engine is off there is a noise coming from the engine bay but is only audible for 10 - 15 seconds, not really enough time to get the bonnet up and investigate. Its reminiscent of the noise that came from my seat Ibiza Cupra 1.8T when the auxiliary water pump was on the way out.

Could anyone shed any light on if the 2.0 TFSI engines have a secondary pump? Are they any fairly easy job to do yourself? Also if they don't have an aux water pump does anyone has suggestions as to what this could be?

Any help would be appreciated. Apart from this the car is perfect and loving every minute of it.. i was blown away with the effortless speed even in standard form.

Mat
    There is an electric secondary pump that will run after the engine has been turned off for a short time,to ensure coolant flows to the turbo.

1st Gear

Status
    I did think that was the case.. theres lots of threads on the 8L but none on the 8P so i wasnt sure. Cheers Alex.
    S3Alex likes this.

Rarely neutral

Status
    I did think that was the case.. theres lots of threads on the 8L but none on the 8P so i wasnt sure. Cheers Alex.
    No worries.....I know because mine leaked!

1st Gear

Status
    How much is the part do you recall?

Rarely neutral

Status
    How much is the part do you recall?
    Just a guess but I think about £50.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3Alex View Post
    Just a guess but I think about £50.
    your aux water pump will run when you shut the car off with a hot engine it gives off a quiet buzz to dissipate heat it is controlled by the ecu however your secondary air pump runs on a cold engine to heat your lambda's up