• 1 Post By Boon
  • 1 Post By NHN
  • 1 Post By J8TT X
  • 1 Post By TDI140

Thread: A3 2.0Ltr TDI Sport, splutter start and sounds like it has a dump valve

Reverse Gear

Status

A3 2.0Ltr TDI Sport, splutter start and sounds like it has a dump valve

Hi, Just aquired a 2005 A3 140 TDI Sport. Very spluttery start, sometimes takes a few turns before it does start, seems to be worse when the engine is warm. Also, the cars turbo is very vocal, especially in low gear, even with my foot off the throttle it's wining away. Put the foot down and in the lower gears it sounds like it's got a dump valve. I'm pretty sure it hasn't. Any suggestions??

2. # ADS
    ADS

6+1 Gears

Status
    For the warm start issue, there is a fix. Any decent tuner should know about it. There is a problem with a injection map at warm start.
    For the second problem, check all the hoses, especially between the intercooler and the turbo. You may be loosing boost due to a split hose or bad seal.
    Does it pull properly when floored?
    DSG | Vienna Leather | Bose Sound | MFSW | Interior Lights Pack | Light & Rain Sensors | Auto Dimming Mirror Mods: LED RNS-e | FL LED Tail Lights | Bi-Xenons | Illuminated Speaker Grilles | Tinted windows | Chrome Switches | Chrome Paddles&Commands | RS4 Start Button | Cruise Control | S3 Pedals | S3 Roof Spoiler | 18" BBS CH | H&R Spacers 10/15 mm | Bilstein B16 PSS10 | H&R 26/24 ARBs | TT Arms | S3 Front Brakes+DS2500+Tarox F2000 | HEL Brake Lines | VNT20 | EGR&Cooler Delete | Custom Remap

1st Gear

Status
    Warm start issue could also be down to starter motor on its way out
    Kathryn1809 likes this.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by T8DPR View Post
    Warm start issue could also be down to starter motor on its way out
    The hot start remap is the 'fix'

I'd suggest getting someone who knows about turbos to look at it, they whine when they have had enough. Could get away with a nice clean up but normally it's better to buy new. But don't be too alarmed, mine has whined for over two years so some just do!

Hoses amiss would produce lots of (normally black) smoke

Also a quick scan from someone with VCDS could shed some light on it
    Kathryn1809 likes this.
    54 8P2 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI BKD - Shark stage 1 - EGR delete - Dolphin Grey

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    There is an ecu update on say bkd 8P 2.0 tdi's that looks at addressing some issues around what's been advised above iirc, audi would do this normally unless you want to remap it, but you need a tuner who knows what they're talking about with this issue & remapping with a possible worn turbo may not be wise, get someone to look at it properly to put your mind at ease.

Ask martymcfly if he knows any good indys up there or ask your local dealer to check if your ecu has an update.
    Kathryn1809 likes this.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    There is an ecu update on say bkd 8P 2.0 tdi's that looks at addressing some issues around what's been advised above iirc, audi would do this normally unless you want to remap it, but you need a tuner who knows what they're talking about with this issue & remapping with a possible worn turbo may not be wise, get someone to look at it properly to put your mind at ease.

Ask martymcfly if he knows any good indys up there or ask your local dealer to check if your ecu has an update.
    I have the same issue with the warm starts.
    I asked my local Audi dealers about any ECU updates and they just looked at me blankly and said there haven't heard of any?!!

Spoke to a local tuner (R-tech) and they knew all about the fix, so I'm getting it remapped with the warm start fix next week.
    Kathryn1809 likes this.
    2005 Audi A3 2.0 TDI DSG S-line (8p1)
    Mods: 18" Gloss Black RS4's - 8p2 S-line Front Bumper - Black Grill - A5 LED Number Plate lights - LED Sidelights - Euro Style Plates - EGR Delete - RTech Custom Remap - Hot Start Issue Fix
    Pipeline: Lowering, Wheel Refurb, Coming Home Lights

2007 VW Golf 2.0 GT TDI 140 (Wife's)
    Mods: 18" Charlestons

5th Gear

Status
    Dump valve is most likey boost hose not on properly or split whine is possibly turbo bearings so could blow up any day or could last years to come, not starting i had that issue and was a temp sensor on the engine mate replaced it not had the problem since about £80 cant say i know where it fits as i wasnt present when work was done
    Kathryn1809 likes this.
    A3 2.0TDI FWD sportback with GT1756 225bhp 351ft lb, forge boost hoses red, milltek decat system, BMC panel filter, golf gti edition 30 full front brakes brembo pads, black honeycomb grill, full oem s line kit + cupra r lip, LED side lights, OEM xenons, LED interior lighting, LED A8 number plate lights, boost gauge, alloy catch can with red hoses, FBSW, windows tinted, de-badged, now on air ride with chassis notch

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by J8TT X View Post
    I have the same issue with the warm starts.
    I asked my local Audi dealers about any ECU updates and they just looked at me blankly and said there haven't heard of any?!!

Spoke to a local tuner (R-tech) and they knew all about the fix, so I'm getting it remapped with the warm start fix next week.
    That's because they don't know shxt on the service desk, an actual audi tech needs to check your ecu fw version, then check on the TPI's for an update, mine was done aswell for other issues, but this is one to check.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
    For the warm start issue, there is a fix. Any decent tuner should know about it. There is a problem with a injection map at warm start.
    For the second problem, check all the hoses, especially between the intercooler and the turbo. You may be loosing boost due to a split hose or bad seal.
    Does it pull properly when floored?
    Yes, well maybe, I've had two occasions while doing about 50, sunk the foot to overtake and not much happening, but all other times, no problems, just flies. Still got warranty, will stick it back to the garage with a copy of the notes on here, hopefully they'll get it seen to without too much hassle. Thanks for you help!