Big difference between Ebony black and Phantom black paint?

Big Pumpa

Reaction score
Evening fellas

Just wondering if there's a difference between ebony and phantom black paint as I've just bought an S3 bumper in phantom black for my A3 facelift conversion but my car is ebony black. Will the bumper need to be sprayed to match the car, as I believe they stopped ebony black paint after 8P1?

Also would an S3 black optics grill look good against Ebony black? Ive seen previous posts about it looking 'naff' against ebony black A3s but cant see how this would be??

Last edited:
believe that ebony black is a solid black , phantom black is pearlescent black (metallic)
so a big difference

Ebony black is also a metallic paint thats where im confused. Its Brilliant Black that is the more 'solid' colour

The s3 black optics on a black car will just give it that blacked out murder look. Not a big fan of it as I think the grill is what makes it stand out
audi_a3_hatchback_special_editions_s3_quattro_black_edition_3dr_96088511443786054.jpg

mine is the ebony black colour (or was before i wrapped it green). I bought a second hand s3 rear bumper that was phantom black. There was a big difference imo. The ebony black looks a shade grey and the phantom black is purely jet black and much nicer . I had my back bumper sprayed ebony black . . .

also check out some pics on my modifications thread. i used a black optics grill on my ebony black s3 bumper. >>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/176904-my-a3-modifications-facelift.html