What the hell just happened to my car?!

StewMang

Reaction score
Hi all

I've got a 2003 2.0 TDI Sport, just put my foot down on a slip road and there was a loud pop sound accompanied by a large plume of smoke out of the exhaust and massive loss of power. The car now also sounds really loud similar to if there was a hole in the exhaust or something, I've just about managed to limp home in it. What's it likely to be? The turbo?

Cheers

1st of all, check the oil level, if its ok, then a boost hose has come of & needs pushing home.

If the oil is non existent, which driving it home was a massive mistake, then Turbo more than likely has gone, don't turn car on or drive it full stop.

Hi all

I've got a 2003 2.0 TDI Sport, just put my foot down on a slip road and there was a loud pop sound accompanied by a large plume of smoke out of the exhaust and massive loss of power. The car now also sounds really loud similar to if there was a hole in the exhaust or something, I've just about managed to limp home in it. What's it likely to be? The turbo?

Cheers

Check for blown turbo intercooler hoses before you get your blood pressure up it could be a cheap fix hopefully

Oil level is fine so guessing it's the popped hose, I really hope it is. You've made me feel a LOT better :)

Apologies for the complete noob question but can I push the hose back on myself from the engine bay or does it need raising?

Thanks for your help.

Yea had this a few years back, turn out to be the jubilee clip came loose and the pipe popped off the intercooler... Cheap fix mate.

Yea had this a few years back, turn out to be the jubilee clip came loose and the pipe popped off the intercooler... Cheap fix mate.

Hope so mate, I just had two new tyres put on this week which weren't cheap so really could do without any garage bills this month. On the plus side, I phoned the RAC last week to cancel my renewal as it was a rip off but haven't got round to sorting other cover out yet. Turns out my RAC cover expires tomorrow, was fully expecting it to have ran out today.

Definitely sounds like an intercooler hose popped off. Was there lots of black smoke out the back?
Mine popped off drivers side hose behind the foglight.

Definitely sounds like an intercooler hose popped off. Was there lots of black smoke out the back?
Mine popped off drivers side hose behind the foglight.

Yeah lots of black smoke and immediate loss of power.

Yeap hose it is imho, if black smoke.

If you look under the fogfight you'll find 2 or 3 screws holding that part of the undertray on. Undo them, also 3 or 4 screws in the arch liner at the 1 and 3 I click position when looking at the wheel from the side. Once the screws are out the tray simply slides out the way and gives you full access to the hose suspected to have gone.
Mine had come apart on the metal clip part and was only out a fraction but enough to cause issues.

I kept outing it back on only for it to keep blowing so i ended up buying a new turbo hose. Wasn't mega money though. Hope it helps.

If you look under the fogfight you'll find 2 or 3 screws holding that part of the undertray on. Undo them, also 3 or 4 screws in the arch liner at the 1 and 3 I click position when looking at the wheel from the side. Once the screws are out the tray simply slides out the way and gives you full access to the hose suspected to have gone.
Mine had come apart on the metal clip part and was only out a fraction but enough to cause issues.

I kept outing it back on only for it to keep blowing so i ended up buying a new turbo hose. Wasn't mega money though. Hope it helps.

Cheers mate that's spot on, will take a look once this storm has blown over!

Well, I called the RAC out as I couldn't even find a screwdriver that'd fit so figured I'd get my money's worth. He looked around the engine bay with his torch for a while then asked me to start the engine and keep blipping the revs. He said he'd expect to hear a sucking sound if a pipe had come off but couldn't. He said the inlet manifold sounded a bit 'tinny' though.

He had a feel around in the engine bay and then tried reaching round under where I mentioned you'd said yours had popped off behind the foglights. He didn't unscrew anything though and didn't check the passenger side. He then hooked up his fault code reader and it came up with P0299 'Turbo charger underboost'. He said as there was black smoke that's what happens when the turbo goes and that I'd have to take it to a garage to have a full boost test done.

Could he actually have spotted a loose pipe doing this? I'm thinking I'll have a look myself when it's light tomorrow, particularly as you mention yours was only out a bit. Did you have to raise your car to get where I need to look?

Cheers

Just look tomorrow, no point over analysing it now fella.

Yeah you're right, I'm just pointlessly fretting now thinking it's more serious.

Exactly the same thing you've described happened to me in my golf gttdi and I'm sorry to say it was the turbo. I pulled out of a junction, accelerated then bang, loss of power and loads of black smoke. I hope its not the case with yours but I wouldn't turn the engine on at all until its in a garage. I got mine recovered from where it went 'pop' and when they had a look at it they said I was lucky it wasn't a lot worse as parts of the blown turbo had nearly been sucked into the engine and could have done more damage. Good luck :thumbsup:

It's the intercooler pipe! I can see it clear as day now there's some light and I knew where to look from the guidance on here. It's popped right off down on the passenger side.

There's not a cat's chance in hell that RAC man last night didn't spot it either last night as he was looking down there with his torch and there's a massive great pipe sat there connected to fresh air, he just couldn't be ***** to get under the car and fix it. Problem I've got is I haven't got the right torx head tool to get the tray off. I can just about reach it from the engine bay but not sure I can get both hands down there to reconnect it. I've a good mind to call the RAC again and ask them to do the job properly!

Reactions: _Zerocool_
if its came of you will prob need a new one.

Where abouts are you located?
You can try popping it back on but if its clean off it probably damaged the clip as it pulled itself apart. Might need a whole new boost pipe but they aren't overly expensive. Glad you found it. Exactly what I said it would be only due to what happened in my experience.

Get new horse shoe clips yours are probable knackered