Unkown rattle

lewis1

Reaction score
Hi I have a 2006 S Line 3 door with 97,000 Miles, since picked up the car there has been a metallic rattle which is quite loud from underneath the car. It occurs when going over rough ground and bumps. Jacked car on axle stands today and nothing is loose underneath (heat shields, brackets etc.). It is like a 'tingling'/hollow sound as if something is loose. Has anyone had this problem as I would like to get to the bottom of it...i have people looking around when driving past. It sounds as if coming from the rear of the car.

Brake disc backing plate? They do tend to come loose and flap around

I had a play with that and all tight, checked as much as i could on axel stands underneath and nothing making that loose rattling sound i could find, can't have a clue what it could be

Very strange! Sounds exactly like a backing plate to me, did you manage to check the coil springs too?

Ill have a closer look tomorrow at the backing plate...as for the springs I have fitted coilovers last week and nothing untoward showed up. Had noise before and after

I can't view the video unfortunately but check above the back box there is heat shielding that sounds metallicy when loose.

Did you ever find the problem with this ? I have quite a big rattle going over bumps and its not any of the heatshields or backplates. sounds like a bag of spanners are in the boot lol

Check a coil spring hasn't broken off just a little and its sat just in the arm of the suspension. If the noise is from the rear I'd certainly give that a look but it'll need jacking up or a nice garage that will put it on a ramp for ya.

good luck

Reactions: T33_BKD
Did you ever find the problem with this ? I have quite a big rattle going over bumps and its not any of the heatshields or backplates. sounds like a bag of spanners are in the boot lol

Check the rear shockers, there is a metal collar on the bump stop and they have a habit of working their way loose and rattling against the shocker :)

I had this exact problem on my 06 3dr s line, it was a piece of the coil spring which had broken off and was resting on the arm of the suspension (as mentioned). seems like alot of people had this issue so i'd start by checking there.

Well done troops took the rear wheel off and searched to find a lovely curly C laying in the suspension arm..... looks like a common fault across the range eh, ours is a 8p 3 door TFSI Quattro am I correct in thinking its lower as standard ? need to try some independents for spring prices now.

Reactions: T33_BKD and Walts2782
Have just had exactly the same problem with my 56 plate S Line 2.0Tdi. Done just over 82,000 miles. Am waiting a quote from the local Audi dealer as I can't seem to get S Line springs from anyone else. Has anyone out there had any success getting these elsewhere or is it a search on EBay or Gumtree ?