Flakey goodness

Zak0123

Reaction score
So my precious rotors have started to flake! No idea why, could be the pressure washer, could be AutoGlym's fault..

Anyways, a friend mentioned I should try get them warranty repaired by Audi. I thought this was ridiculous as I bought them off fleabay (from a BE S3) and wouldn't have a leg to stand on but he seemed to think it was worth a shot? What do you guys think?

If not might have to give N8 a shout very soon!

PEACE x

61 2011 A3

I imagine Audi will know that the car didn't come with them and if you bought them from Audi afterwards then they'd want to see an invoice.
I work for JCB and our systems are way behind car manufacturers, but even we can put in the serial number of a machine and see everything on the build ticket, so I'm sure they must be able to do something similar.
Personally I wouldn't even bother trying, but it's up to you. Just be prepared for them to say no.

What's the deal with rotors, I heard they're hard to get refurbed, is this true?
How are the rotors finished? Is the silver part painted or polished? If it's polished then does it have a lacquer over it to stop them corroding?
When I used to deal with a wheel refurb company they said polished or diamond cut wheels were a nightmare to deal with. They needed lacquering to stop them corroding, but the lacquer never stuck to the wheels very well as you couldn't key the surface. Were they just fobbing us off, or is this actually the case?

I wouldn't bother.

My Rotors have stood up really well so far after 18months.
Even around the minor curb rash they have not corroded.

Never used any cleaning products (other than the odd £5 handwash) and have started to pressure wash then without any drama yet.

Mate of mine bought a 2011 S3 BE last year that had refurbed wheels. It looked like they had been painted in a hyper silver type finish on the rotors rather than recut and laquered and TBH looked pretty good from a few feet away.

However when you compare directly against the OEM finish they are not quite as good.
Maybe the low cost option?

So my precious rotors have started to flake! No idea why, could be the pressure washer, could be AutoGlym's fault..

Anyways, a friend mentioned I should try get them warranty repaired by Audi. I thought this was ridiculous as I bought them off fleabay (from a BE S3) and wouldn't have a leg to stand on but he seemed to think it was worth a shot? What do you guys think?

If not might have to give N8 a shout very soon!

PEACE x

61 2011 A3

As soon as they punch in your Vin into Etka, click on nice little picture of the wheels, it tells them exactly what your factory wheels are.

So I think you'll be told to politely "DO 1".

But you may be lucky, as most warranty claims that involve paint etc will probably mean your Vin Number not going into the Etka system, and infact the car being handed over to a 3rd party company to do the work for them and Audi warranty simply pick up the bill.

They may go fishing for paint codes in Etka, then you'll probably be fudged, As you'll either get entire silver rotors come out the other end due to the factory alloy paint code....!

OR a jab in the side from Audi when they say errr hang on a minute.

But hey, you have nothing to lose. Try it.

As soon as they punch in your Vin into Etka, click on nice little picture of the wheels, it tells them exactly what your factory wheels are.

So I think you'll be told to politely "DO 1".

But you may be lucky, as most warranty claims that involve paint etc will probably mean your Vin Number not going into the Etka system, and infact the car being handed over to a 3rd party company to do the work for them and Audi warranty simply pick up the bill.

They may go fishing for paint codes in Etka, then you'll probably be fudged, As you'll either get entire silver rotors come out the other end due to the factory alloy paint code....!

OR a jab in the side from Audi when they say errr hang on a minute.

But hey, you have nothing to lose. Try it.

Not always the case with Etka
it normally only tells them the spec the car was built to when ordered ,but if someone then orders different wheels,nav etc at the dealers then they dont update the proper car info systems which like bmw etc normally do

Not always the case with Etka
it normally only tells them the spec the car was built to when ordered ,but if someone then orders different wheels,nav etc at the dealers then they dont update the proper car info systems which like bmw etc normally do

Yes i agree, if anything has been swapped around at the dealers then, no, it wont match obviously, but 9/10 that doesnt happen.

I work with Etka daily, its pretty rare that Etka shows different stuff to what its got, its usually pretty good.

Thanks for the feedback guys! Think il take your advice as I don't want to lie about the car really, looks like il be forking out for a rotor refurb in the next few months/after winter!