Anybody got this clutch and flywheel combination?

T3KT0N1K

Reaction score
Found this on eBay and, while I'm booked in for a Sachs and Loba single mass combo on Wednesday, It's quite pricey at £1300. I don't know how much AmD Tuning Essex are selling the Sachs and Loba kit to me for, so I need to find that out. But I figure this could be a cheaper option.

But what really interests me is the claim that the eBay kit in question is silent. I mean, if I can get a silent kit (compared to my Sachs and Loba gear that's gonna produce chatter in neutral), then I'd much rather go for that.

I want the tough and responsive single mass flywheel goodness, but I absolutely don't want the chatter. Principally because if I ever sell my S3 (and I probably will in a year or two), then the potential buyer is likely to run a mile when they hear it.

What do you guys think?

are you going for serious power in your S3 and we've done loads of Audi clutches at work and single mass conversions are quiet noisy infact most cars not just Audi's we've also been advised and witnessed single mass conversions are no good for box and can mash up internals

Where do you work?

A few of the big modders on this forum gave me advice about upgrading with the Sachs and Loba kit, when I asked for help, following the stage 1 upgrade I had done on my S3 at the GTi International a few weeks back. Reason being is that I smoked my clutch a little on the quarter mile straight after having a Stage 1 Revo remap, Revo intake and Forge recirc dump valve installed. Yes, I know it was stupid. What can I say; I had friends with me and peer pressure's a *****.

So anyways, the whole chatter thing does have me a little unnerved, even though manny people have told me that the kit will be absolutely fine. AmD Tuning seem to be well know for performing this particular upgrade on my particular model of car, with great an lasting results. But I'm a techie and I can't help but think that...

1. Chatter suggests rough wear from balancing issues
2. Rough wear is bad
3. This £1300 quid upgrade isn't gonna last :/

I just want a strong, lightened clutch and flywheel combo that can withstand ample torture from 300-400 horses.

Thats not the sachs racing clutch though, just a normal replacement to work with the SMF. So you can't really compare them, the Sachs Racing clutch is pretty much that price on its own.

Also, I would (and did) go DMF. It's a road car, you want the nicities and they last just fine stage 1/2/2+ with a sachs racing clutch and luk dmf.

Reduced flywheel spin up/down times + slightly lighter car = increased performance. Isn't that right?

It's not so much the horsepower it's the torque that causes clutch spin you can get torque limiter put on it mine is fine with stage 1 map if I remember rightly 2.0tdi clutch and plate fits straight in and they have a higher torque capability

are you going for serious power in your S3 and we've done loads of Audi clutches at work and single mass conversions are quiet noisy infact most cars not just Audi's we've also been advised and witnessed single mass conversions are no good for box and can mash up internals

An SMF setup IS noisy at idle but not under load.

I know mine is a single example,but having run an SMF(a Spec Stg3+) setup for 20 000 miles at around 500bhp/480lbs,it hasn't trashed the gearbox yet.
Several of my mates running similar sorts of torque and clutch setups also haven't managed to lunch their gearboxes,so of course,we all may be lucky.

The real issue is that if you go for a big uplift in torque,then an SMF setup becomes a neccessity,as the other options are limited to 400-440lbs.
So,your question re serious torque,is the right one......if you can get away with a DMF,then it makes sense to do so,although you will no doubt be aware of the problems caused by wonky DMFs.

Tbh I'm not going to bother with anything over stage 2+ on my S3 I only brought it to get the boy racer out of me for a year and fancied having a hot hatch for a while I like my diesels especially the 3.0tdi audi's but back to the point I totally agree with you if your going for serious power smf is a must for torque capability I'd love to push mine stage 3+ but can't warrant the money for the time I keep my cars

Tbh I'm not going to bother with anything over stage 2+ on my S3 I only brought it to get the boy racer out of me for a year and fancied having a hot hatch for a while I like my diesels especially the 3.0tdi audi's but back to the point I totally agree with you if your going for serious power smf is a must for torque capability I'd love to push mine stage 3+ but can't warrant the money for the time I keep my cars

I think that making a decision on what you want early on is the best way to avoid unnecessary expense if you can stick to it!

I just kept adding more and kept the car.

I think the biggest risk to the gearbox isn't an SMF but the extra torque from things like a big turbo build.

The fact that some of us run up to 500lbs through it without it exploding is testament to the box seeming reasonably strong.