Low Idle on Cold Start & Squeaky Clutch (Maybe)

Ga1050

Reaction score
Hi all.

Well I have 2 problems here, both have come about recently.

The first is, when I start the car cold in the morning it starts on the button but idles VERY low for 3-4 seconds then just seems to 'pop' up to normal revs. After this initial tantrum all seems is fine. It did previously idle quite erratically all the time, so I disconnected one of those plug n play boxes it had hooked up when I bought it, which helped a lot. Having said that it does still idle funny occasionally - just not as bad or often as before. Not sure if these could be linked or just coincidence they are both idle issues?!

Next problem is again on initial start up/when the car is cold and this one is a squeaky-type noice when releasing the clutch. Definitely most noticable when pulling off in 1st gear but not unheard of to happen changing gears as well.

Both of these problems generally disappear when the car is warmed up or even if it's been a warm day and been sat outside work for a good 7-8 hours of non-use. I've just been out in it on my lunch...started ok, idled ok and no noise when pulling off.

Any advice/suggestions appreciated. It's probably going to need a mechanics touch at some point but would be nice to have an idea what might be going on.

EDIT: Oops, it'd probably help to know the car is a 2004 2l TDI.

Cheers,
Gary.

If the issue gets better with the tuning box removed, there lies your problem for 1, 2nd could be clutch or flywheel related given the age of the car.

If the issue gets better with the tuning box removed, there lies your problem for 1, 2nd could be clutch or flywheel related given the age of the car.

Thanks for the reply. I feared it may be clutch or flywheel related. Not cheap jobs!!

As for the starting/idle issues I'm not sure the box is entirely to blame. I removed the box a good few months ago (and not reinstalled). The rough/irratic idle calmed down but hasn't completely gone. However, the starting issue with the idle has only recently started, so I wouldn't have thought it was directly related to the old box. The only reason I thought they may be indirectly related is that they are both idle problems. I know NOTHING of mechanics but thought maybe if it'd have been somehow fuel related this could be my starting issue and have been made worse by those dodgy boxes just chucking in more fuel? This is a complete guess though so feel free to mock my lack of knowledge