Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By mjr901
  • 1 Post By nluk100
  • 2 Post By kwistof
  • 1 Post By NHN
  • 1 Post By turbonutz
  • 1 Post By c_w
  • 1 Post By grr666

Thread: Is it dangerous while driving a car with different speed rating tyres on motorway?

Neutral

Status

Is it dangerous while driving a car with different speed rating tyres on motorway?

I came to change my NSF Tyre in a blackcircle garage and a careful technician told me that my car is running with 3 different speed ratings. The default speed rating should be H. However, I noticed that my OSF is W and NSR is V and the rest are H. I am wondering if it will have some potential danger while driving it on Motorway although I will never reach the speed of H. I have heard of that the different speed rating means different sidewall construction and handling. The higher the speed rating, the stronger the sidewall and the better handling.

BTW, my tyre size is by default is 205 55 R16 H(91)

Cheers,

2. # ADS
    ADS

S3 Pollution Plus+ Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1314 View Post
    I came to change my NSF Tyre in a blackcircle garage and a careful technician told me that my car is running with 3 different speed ratings. The default speed rating should be H. However, I noticed that my OSF is W and NSR is V and the rest are H. I am wondering if it will have some potential danger while driving it on Motorway although I will never reach the speed of H. I have heard of that the different speed rating means different sidewall construction and handling. The higher the speed rating, the stronger the sidewall and the better handling.

BTW, my tyre size is by default is 205 55 R16 H(91)

Cheers,
    H=131mph

V=149mph

W=168mph

So if you stay below 131mph which is likely... then you won't have a problem.

Usually 'XL' is for a re-inforced sidewall, but it wouldn't surprise me if the higher rated tyres are stiffer.

In the grand scheme of things, I'd use them until they're worn and then replace all the same for peace of mind.

As long as the tyre is E marked your all safe and legal.
    NHN, adam1314 and TonyH38 like this.
    2012 Ibis Black Edition S-tronic S3, 3 Door, Shark Stage 2, MTC Intake Kit, Powerflex Fast Road Dogbone Mount, Full Non Res Milltek Exhaust, Forge Development Intercooler + DV system,
    340bhp Mikes Ibis BE 2012 S3...

Neutral

Status
    Thanks a lot. I would definitely replace the W and V rating tyres to H rating tyres when they are worn in future.

2nd Gear

Status
    Are the tread patterns the same as this is likely to be of greater concern if you were to have to brake suddenly?
    adam1314 likes this.

Neutral

Status
    The tread patterns should be different. I have got one Bridgestone ER300 H rating, one Bridgestone T001 H rating, one Pirelli P7 V rating and one Rapid P609 W rating. The Rapid P609 W rating was replaced by a private garage where I bought my car and requested a new tyre.

I would recommend anyone who goes to buy a 2nd hand car to ask discount for the worn existing tyres. Never ask a garage to change it for you. They will usually supply you the bad tyres.
    Last edited by adam1314; 31st July 2013 at 15:02.

6th Gear

Status
    Just out of interest what happens if you go over the limit of the speed rate of the tyres ?
    Her 2011 Limited Edition A4 Dynamik 2.0 Tfsi quattro 211 BHP Saloon & Mine 2013 Bmw 535D M Sport 313 Bhp 630nm.
    ***Audi's In The Park***The Biggest Audi Event In Europe 10th August 2014*** http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audis-park-aitp-2014/221933-audis-park-2014-show-10th-august-billing-aquadrome.html
    Reputation given for the best answer.

Neutral

Status
    Most people will never have a chance to test that

South East Events Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow kwistof On Twitter Visit kwistof's Youtube Channel Visit kwistof's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Audi Dynamik View Post
    Just out of interest what happens if you go over the limit of the speed rate of the tyres ?
    Some pretty useful information here regarding your question.....Understanding tire speed ratings - The Globe and Mail
    Audi Dynamik and adam1314 like this.
    2000 S3 APY

18" BBS RSII with Michelin PS3s, 20mm H&R adapters, Relentless 3" DP and Sports cat, B5 V1 induction kit, cone filter+heat shield, Forge 007P, Awesome GTI SMF, AP coilovers, Facelift rear lights, Full Powerflex poly bush kit, R32 Rear ARB, SAI delete, N249 by-pass, Upgraded Engine mounts with Polytek, Stage 1 CC at Badger 5.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    TBH unless you drive like a complete tosspot, you should be fine, do as 901 states, drive them until worn & swap for same imho.
    adam1314 likes this.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

2nd Gear

Status
    driving like a toss pot when i had 3 diffrent tyres on ma 4 corners (before getting falkens) a felt the handling was a bit sketchy, but normal driving was fine for me
    adam1314 likes this.

c_w
    5th Gear

Status
    You don't say whether they're 3 different tyre brands/makes as well as the different speed rating. However if the H is your normal rating then going higher rated is no problem at all.

But the idael is to have the same tyre (brand etc) all round, or at thevery least on the same axle.
    adam1314 likes this.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by c_w View Post
    You don't say whether they're 3 different tyre brands/makes as well as the different speed rating. However if the H is your normal rating then going higher rated is no problem at all.

But the idael is to have the same tyre (brand etc) all round, or at thevery least on the same axle.
    Thank you for your comments.

I 've got two Bridgestone at H rating (ER300 and T001), one Pirelli at V rating and one rapid p609 at W rating, the value tyre changed by the garage when I told them the tread is almost worn off. Next time I will ask for some discount and change a better brand tyre.

1st Gear

Status
    Personally I wouldn't do it, when I bought my van all the tyres
    were different makes, speed ratings and worse still load ratings.
    One was a proper commercial van tyre and the others were
    car tyres.
    My van doesn't have ABS and one day soon after buying it
    I was following someone alongwho suddenly decided without warning
    or signal that they were going to stop at the petrol station via the entrance
    which they had all but passedforcing me in turn to brake as suddenly as they
    did. My (empty) van stopped facing the wrong way as I did a small stab of
    the steering to the right toavoid his rear end as I braked and that was the result.
    Roads were very lightly damp

Now have 4 new matching tyres.
    Recently I had similar incident where a taxi decided to slam his brakes on because
    someone flagged him down, but on 4 matching tyres the van stayed straight
    in almost identical conditions and also when empty. It's at times like this when
    your ABS (if you have it)is making up for the fact that all tyres heat up at different rates,
    grip in the wet and dry at different levels and have harder or softer rubber
    compounds. (Different Grip point/slip point)
    In day to day driving you'll be fine, but anything spirited or a sudden
    emergency avoidance or manouvre and your ABS/TCS may not be able to contain
    the differences between the tyres and you may well end up in the hedge.
    In all honesty, I'd say the faster you are going the more likely this is.
    What do you do when a lorry pulls out of lane 1 on you without warning?
    Last edited by grr666; 1st August 2013 at 10:35.
    adam1314 likes this.
    2009 S3 3 door. Phantom Black metallic.
    RNS-E, Tints, Piano Black inlays, Auto Lights and Wipers, Bluetooth, MFBSW,
    White Alcantara, LED numberplate lights, Black Optic Grille, Yellow Foglamps,
    K&N panelfilter, Colourmatched mirrors, S3 footplate,
    More to come....

Neutral

Status
    Many thanks for your time to explain how the brake may not work efficiently in emergency. Really appreciated. All I do is drive slowly and keep a distance with the car in front me. Will change the other two tyre to H when they wear out.

cheers,
    Adam