S3 MPG gone up

brads

Reaction score
Hi, has anyone else noticed that the On board computer has displayed an increased MPG. I am doing the same journey but it has on up by about 3 - 4 MPG recently?

Thanks

This could be for so many reasons but I'll hazard a guess or two:

1. Whenever I drive slower the MPG goes up, could this be the mysterious cause? :laugh:

2. It's the summer holidays and there is less traffic, this usually means more MPG...if you drive at a similar speed.

3. Your other half has been driving the car.

4. None of the above.

Tell us some more details and someone might be able to help.

I might not be the best person to give advice on MPG...

Reactions: sliced, S. and Jonse
The 'slashed zero' is the German symbol for average. If you notice the instantaneous mpg screen doesn't have the symbol.

Average in German is Durchschnitt which literally translates as 'cut through' hence the symbol. You learn something new every day!

That MPG was from a wet trackday - it was 7 mpg in the dry morning session measured by brim to brim method rather than DIS. The RS3 is much better than that most of the time - about 27mpg average.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: tally2425
It means average and the 1 means for that trip. Mines gone down with less traffic... maybe I'm driving faster! 218 miles to my previous tank of fuel. That's from full to the top of the red.

Reactions: tally2425
It means average and the 1 means for that trip. Mines gone down with less traffic... maybe I'm driving faster! 218 miles to my previous tank of fuel. That's from full to the top of the red.

I have also noticed on another screen it says '2'? what does that mean?

trip 2?

as MBK said in the hols and roads quieter you drive smoother so mpg will be better! been using better fuel recently maybe? coasting alot more?

Its exactly the same commute, not combined MPG just on each journey. I now average between 32-35 when previous it was always 30-31 if taking it easy. 8 mile journey on A / B roads at 06.30 though. Could there be something faulty?

Thanks

Tbh my mpg seems worse since the weather has been warm!

Tbh my mpg seems worse since the weather has been warm!

Air con working harder?

OP, there's nothing wrong with the car if you're getting more MPG. You're probably more chilled out in the warmer weather and as mentioned, there are less cars on the road.

It's summer. The weathers warmer so it takes less time to warm up, which during warm up the car runs rich to help warm up quicker. Also people tend to drive a bit easier during the warm weather.

I normally averaged 31 on my route, turning Econ on I'm not getting upto 39 on my way to work in my S3

It's summer. The weathers warmer so it takes less time to warm up, which during warm up the car runs rich to help warm up quicker. Also people tend to drive a bit easier during the warm weather.

I normally averaged 31 on my route, turning Econ on I'm not getting upto 39 on my way to work in my S3

Jeez I'm on 26.9 av at the moment on my commute. As said above I do use the air con a lot, I hate being too hot

Jeez I'm on 26.9 av at the moment on my commute. As said above I do use the air con a lot, I hate being too hot

i only turn it off before my day shift or after a night as I'm driving at 5am which it's not then. But I get 31-32 on the way home at 6pm which is alot more traffic and AC on