Tyre advice needed ...

tiptonjuk

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a slow puncture, and I think that the tyre might need replacing, due to the object sticking in the side wall of the tyre.

The tyres in question are Continental Contactsport 2's, with a size of 225/40 r18 92y.

I have got a price of £125 fully fitted with balancing and valve, but that's in Berkshire.

I now live in Crewe, so was wondering if anyone in cheshire knows of somewhere that does these tyres at a similiar or cheaper price?

Cheers

Just looked at www.blackcircles.com and they are quoting £135.48 for the same tyres again fully fitted etc. They can arranging fitting at a local tyre centre.

All sorted, National tyres in Crewe beat my best quote of £125 but £2, so they have changed the tyre, and done a fantastic job. A nail had gone into the edge, so it couldn't be repaired.

For future reference, Event Tyres in Trafford Park will cover Cheshire.

The prices are excellent and their service is second to none. I've used them several times and they will always match a price if you find it cheaper. (their prices include free fitting anywhere)

http://www.event-tyres.co.uk/

I've just got 4 new michy pilot sport 2's... amazing tyres, totally transformed the car... £105 all in too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I'm undecided between the Pilot Sport 2's or the Pirelli P Zero Nero's.

Where did you get the Pilots MIke_P?

I've got PS2s from the factory, and whilst they grip like yesterdays hedgehog, they're a tad noisy.

Are they an improvement noise wise on what you had previously?

Eeef -

I thought PS2's were a medium aftermarket tyre? Fairly soft and good for less than 5k miles?

Thats what I want to buy, so if they are OEM I won't be purchasing.

OEM = good steady mileage, all round average grip and good MPG (i.e. hard).

I've pzero nero and they aint half sticky. dont know about mileage but a quiet ride and much better than the primacys

Personally I think you'd do hard to beat them for grip (F1s & Toyos will be the only ones I suspect) My fronts lasted just over 10K before I moved them to the back with about 3mm left on them.

I've not seen a particularly good review for the F1's. Lots for the PS2's though. Toyo seem to do good trackday specials (i.e. scary wet road tyres)

Garthy - were your Nero's OE fitment?

Mine came from the factory with pzero's fitted and they wheren;t all that. Not overly quiet but they where quite soft so reasonable grip. But they also felt like the side walls where quite soft as well. I managed around 12K out of the fronts.

I've replaced them with the F1's and the front end has come alive and feels a lot more responsive. Noise wise there not bad at all but I still have the pzero's on the back.

J.

Nero's or Rosso's, J? My SB has Rosso's as factory fit and they're a bit cack compared to the F1 GSD3s I had on my 4mo in the same size. I'll be fitting a set of the F1s again when the time comes, probably my favourite all round tyre although I haven't had chance to try PS2s.

Has anyone changed their tyres using the maintenance plan?? I've bin told to goto National Tyres but I want to know what I'm gonna end up getting. I've got Pirelli P Zero's on at the moment... but I want either Pilot Sport 2's or F1 GSD3's. What do you think the chances are??? What have you guys experienced when replacing using the Maintenance plan?

I mean don't get me wrong I don't care if I need to replace them every other month cos I pay £42 pcm into the Maintenance Plan so... P zero's will be fine again, just don't want to end up with some sh!t that's not grippy, etc....

If its anything like a lease / contract hire maintenance scheme, they will only allow certain mega-mileage tyres, regardless of what the OE was.

You might not even get P Zero's again............Theres a few people on here with maintained cars who have said that OE tyres like F1's and Rossos were not allowed to be like for like replaced.......

Call national and ask?

[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone changed their tyres using the maintenance plan?? I've bin told to goto National Tyres but I want to know what I'm gonna end up getting. I've got Pirelli P Zero's on at the moment... but I want either Pilot Sport 2's or F1 GSD3's. What do you think the chances are??? What have you guys experienced when replacing using the Maintenance plan?

[/ QUOTE ]

I asked my dealer when I was buying my car if I could choose which tyres I wanted fitted under the tyre maintenance plan and was told they will only fit what came with the car originally. I didn't bother with the plan after that as F1 GSD3s will be going our car as there is pretty much no other tyre that touches them for both wet/dry grip and tyre noise. Anyone that has had any of the P-zeros fitted needs to try these tyres they are in a totally different class.

Just spoke to National Tyres and they said they have to Phone VW finance and they make the call on what tyres Nation Tyres fit. This isn't sounding good... Come on guys there must be someone who's experienced changing tyres on the Maintenance plan...? What happened, what tyres did you get??? Would it be better to just buy my own tyres and just use the plan for Services and Exhausts, etc... even tho I'd love a Miltek!!

[ QUOTE ]
Just spoke to National Tyres and they said they have to Phone VW finance and they make the call on what tyres Nation Tyres fit. This isn't sounding good... Come on guys there must be someone who's experienced changing tyres on the Maintenance plan...? What happened, what tyres did you get??? Would it be better to just buy my own tyres and just use the plan for Services and Exhausts, etc... even tho I'd love a Miltek!!

[/ QUOTE ]

A Kwik-fit fitter told me a couple of years ago when I knackered a Pirelli Rosso on one of my 9-5 Aeros and they struggled to get a replacement matching tyre that the reson was that none of the leasing companies would allow replacement Rossos because of lousy wear characteristics.

The problem with all maintenance plans and even a lease car to some extent is that someone else is making all the decisions and those decisions are usually based on costs rather than anything else.

The only way to have complete freedom to choice everything is to own the car youself and pay for all your servicing, tyres etc yourself as well. That way you decide when to change things, what to use, what add-ons to have and ultimately when to change the car itself.

Personally I have always chosen to own my own car and when appropriate, claim an allowance for using it for work.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My A4 was on full maintenance and I had no choice in tyres.They also eeked out every last mile from the tyre.I would have replaced long before they allowed me to.
My car ended up with four different tyres,albeit of the same make.
(two different Pirelli's on the front and two different Michelins on the back)

It really looked stupid. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif

The procedure went like this;

1/Phone finance,be told which garage to go to.
2/Go to garage,they phone finance and ask for approval reference.
3/Garage monkey would go through a few choices from his filthy computer screen and be told which tyre to fit.

My involvement ?...nil....

No maintenance for me this time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yes.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wilko, I posted on another thread about this. I am on full maintenance plan and got a nail in my rear nearside tyre. Both tyres were at 3mm so I kindly persuaded the National guy to say they were 2mm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif He phoned up and they ok'd the change. Tyres fitted were conti's. I have conti's on my car anyway so no problem. But, he said that unless it's quattro and fitted with anything other than Conti's, then it's cont's what you will get. That's all that Audi will approve !.

Miket - neros were my choice, car came with mich primacy. I wanted a better tyre, had f1 on last a3 but thought i'd try the nero.

Hey guys, i'm after some Good year Eagle F1 GS-D3. Dimensions 225/35/R19... cheapest i've found so far is £141 per wheel. Can any of you's do any better using the sites you've found?

I've been looking all day and it looks like that's the cheapest price. Could use some help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks in advance, cheers!

After much research and many phone calls, I've just fitted a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE050A's.

picture

They are awesome, and £104 each fitted and balanced while I was at work. The car feels like its lost about 500kilos! It steers so much more quickly and lightly than the crap standard Dunlops and you can feel every white line and ripple through the steering wheel. A little more noisy, but its a nicer noise and thats ok as it helps me to keep the speed down. And they have a rim protector side wall too.

Was going to go for the F1-GSD3, but spoke to someone with an Impreza who said he had just put a set on and found they were very vague near the limit and lacked the response and outright grip of the PS2 and RE050A (althought RE050 has more dry lateral grip and quicker steering response than the PS2). From reviews I didn't think the PS2 justified the extra £20 quid each.

The Potenzas look great too. Would recommend! (also much better at putting down the 260bhp/300lbft from the Revo upgrade)

£104 ea for RE050's fitted? Damn thats cheap. They're awesome tyres too... who was the supplier and fitter?

Event tyres at Trafford in Manchester. 0870 240 7787

I think they wanted £109 to start but managed to get £5 off haggling. Told them I'd been offered £105 elsewhere.

I replaced the yokohama's that came on Claires car with those tyres. Not bad tyres did a track day at goodwood in her car with them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif, wear rates not brilliant though and they are awful in the snow/ice which isn't really a problem in this country though.

Saying that last year when we had snow I reversed claires car off the driveway and managed to get stuck straddling both sides of the road as it had snowed and then frozen. That combined with ever such a slight decline meant I was stuck against the pavement... Damn those pesky yoko's so the bridge's are better

I'm suprised to hear your friend saying the F1's are vague near the limit. One of the better aspects of the F1 is the adjustability with the throttle at the limit with them, they are very progressive and allow you to steer the car with the throttle. I've had them on several pwerful FWD cars along with my R32 and A3. I've driven them on a 330coupe as well as a 4.2 S4 and they have performed brilliantly on all of them.

Perhaps they just don't suit the Scooby's setup?

J.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm suprised to hear your friend saying the F1's are vague near the limit. One of the better aspects of the F1 is the adjustability with the throttle at the limit with them, they are very progressive and allow you to steer the car with the throttle. I've had them on several pwerful FWD cars along with my R32 and A3. I've driven them on a 330coupe as well as a 4.2 S4 and they have performed brilliantly on all of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree,I've also had F1's on several cars and found them extremely confidence-inspiring,especially in wet conditions.(important in Scotland)
No sudden loss of grip or vagueness at all.
Just plenty of warning and a progressive loss of grip,easily controlled with the steering and throttle.

I prefer tyres that offer less ultimate grip,but more feedback,to tyres that grip like glue then let go with no warning.

I think the terms 'vague' and 'progressive' can be interpreted in a very similar way depending how you look at them? A car that is sliding in a progressive manner may feel vague in its responses?

The RE050 scored higher on steering feel too, which can't be a bad thing given audi's usually numb setups!

I also wanted to try something different! Not heard of these tyres on an A3.

[ QUOTE ]
I think the terms 'vague' and 'progressive' can be interpreted in a very similar way depending how you look at them? A car that is sliding in a progressive manner may feel vague in its responses?

[/ QUOTE ]

Possibly,but I wouldn't personally confuse the two.

Vague suggests a lack of feedback,which shouldn't necessarily come with a loss of grip.

I see what you mean. I hadn't thought of it in that way.....

I'm going to Milton Keynes next week, so i'll be able to try plenty of roundabout grip-limit tests!

[ QUOTE ]

I agree,I've also had F1's on several cars and found them extremely confidence-inspiring,especially in wet conditions.(important in Scotland)
No sudden loss of grip or vagueness at all.
Just plenty of warning and a progressive loss of grip,easily controlled with the steering and throttle.

I prefer tyres that offer less ultimate grip,but more feedback,to tyres that grip like glue then let go with no warning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bowfer, crack open the beer, we agree /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

If there's a trade off to be made, i'd rather have more feedback over outright grip

[ QUOTE ]
If there's a trade off to be made, i'd rather have more feedback over outright grip

[/ QUOTE ]

On a bike yes, as you've little chance to gather it up after losing grip (got the scars for that one)

A car gives you plenty of time to think about plan B, so maybe out-right grip can provide more day to day benefits? especially on a front wheel drive where your biggest problem is maintaining traction.

I can see the benefits of excellent feedback whilst trying to balance power-oversteer on a rear/4 wheel drive sports car (hardly day to day), but on a front wheel drive with audi-numb steering? I'm not so sure.

Nobody ever got anywhere quicker in a front wheel drive by sliding around the place.

beg to differ, drive any FWD car and approach the limits of grip with the rear wheels (My type R civic did quite nicely!) and you don't have much time at all to think about plan b.

FWD cars can oversteer quite easily (Without stability control of course)

In these cases, suddenly loosing grip is not a good thing

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

On a bike yes, as you've little chance to gather it up after losing grip (got the scars for that one)

A car gives you plenty of time to think about plan B, so maybe out-right grip can provide more day to day benefits? especially on a front wheel drive where your biggest problem is maintaining traction.

I can see the benefits of excellent feedback whilst trying to balance power-oversteer on a rear/4 wheel drive sports car (hardly day to day), but on a front wheel drive with audi-numb steering? I'm not so sure.

Nobody ever got anywhere quicker in a front wheel drive by sliding around the place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ideally,you want the most grip you can have,but only if the change from 'grip to slip' is progressive,easy to feel and control.
I've had tyres that grip better than the F1's,but they gave less feel in the process,so (in the wet anyway) you ended up taking it easier.

As you say,it becomes even more important on a bike.When I raced,Michelins gave the most grip,but they would spit you off without warning when they reached their limits,so only a handful of blokes were good (lucky?) enough to use them.
Everyone else used Pirellis,which offered less grip but more feedback and warning of 'impending doom'. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
When I raced,Michelins gave the most grip,but they would spit you off without warning when they reached their limits,so only a handful of blokes were good (lucky?) enough to use them.
Everyone else used Pirellis,which offered less grip but more feedback and warning of 'impending doom'. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Should that be mad enough to use them? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

A sharp civic or a focus maybe, but its pretty hard to do it in an A3.

You're right in that you don't really want Pilot Club-Sport type of warm dry track gggggriipppp then no-grip, but thats not really what we're talking about.

Even the worst tyres I've ever used (Dunlop SP9090) which gripped then suddenly slid and rumbled round even the mildest of roundabouts were manageable, but still impossible to induce A3 oversteer without the handbrake or jabbing footbrake.

I'm very impressed so far with the RE050A (it does rate higher then the GSD for Grip, response and stability, but thats not real world stuff), It would be nice if another A3 on here had tried them out.

Anyone?

agreed - i was jsut saying, if there was a trade off to be made then that's what I'd prefer myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif