Volks AutosBadger5
    1st Gear

Status

Glow plug change at VW

I've had an intermittent fault on a glow plug since I had the car. The car is coming up to 93,000 miles so they could probably do with a change. I'm lucky enough to work with someone who's other half works at VW so I asked for a quote on the change of all four plugs. I've been quoted £88 which when I look at the cost of plugs seems a bargain as I'm pretty much getting the labour free. I know this is something you can tackle yourself but I'd have to buy a torque wrench and I've read of some people cocking it up so for peace of mind £88 doesn't seem to bad. What have you guys payed in the past or do you do your own?

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    Get them to do it, that way the parts are guaranteed for 2yrs & labour for 1yr should anything go wrong.
    TDI PD170 S-Line Sportback... 191.2bhp & 290lb/ft torque @ standard with an iffy turbo! No idea with the new one or Shark Stage 1 remap installed, DPF off Stage 1 ready to go, Suspension & wheels to be fitted... Still....

5th Gear

Status
    Sounds like good deal. go for it mate....

Enthusiast

Status
    The intermittent glow plug fault might be caused by faulty injector loom. That is if you have a BKD engine.
    VCDS USER

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SAiLO View Post
    The intermittent glow plug fault might be caused by faulty injector loom. That is if you have a BKD engine.
    It's a 1.9 tdie so don't know if that's a BKD or not and I won't know if its cured the fault until I hook it up to VCDS but the car feels smoother and more forgiving a low revs. Probably the placebo effect but I'm pleased so far.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Stol1975 View Post
    It's a 1.9 tdie so don't know if that's a BKD or not and I won't know if its cured the fault until I hook it up to VCDS but the car feels smoother and more forgiving a low revs. Probably the placebo effect but I'm pleased so far.
    What was the actual fault because your glow plugs only come into play to start the car however a glow plug light illuminating could actually be an indication of a faulty brake light switch well It was on cars around the mk4 golf era.

1st Gear

Status
    No lights showing just a fault stored on vcds. Can't really remember what it was and my laptop broke so I can't hook it up with my vcds
    Well I got a good price, the car is not far off 100k and it will soon be the winter lol so job done. Just goes to show that you can convince yourself the car feels better when in reality there's probably no change. Just makes you feel better for spending the £££'s

Audi Retrofitter

Status
    North, East, South, West London & Dartford in Kent

My Social Networking

Visit Ash187's Instagram Channel
    That's a really good price! Where abouts is this garage? Also is that just one glow plug changed at that price or all 4?
    Your laptop broke? I have a nice small 12" laptop that I'm selling which I used to run VCDS on, got myself a mac now so don't need it!
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI
    Dark Headlining, Bose, Alcantara Leather, Interior Lights Pack

MODS:
    S3 facelift,
    RS3 Grill, 19" RS6, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, S3 brakes, US Centre Console, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash187 View Post
    That's a really good price! Where abouts is this garage? Also is that just one glow plug changed at that price or all 4?
    Your laptop broke? I have a nice small 12" laptop that I'm selling which I used to run VCDS on, got myself a mac now so don't need it!
    Yes it was for all four. I got it done at mates rates at Stratford VW.

Audi Retrofitter

Status

My Social Networking

Is that Stratford in London?
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI

MODS:
    S3 facelift,
    RS3 Grill, 19" RS6, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, S3 brakes, US Centre Console, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

1st Gear

Status
    Stratford upon Avon. Outside of London no one had knew there was a stratford there until the Olympics!

Audi Retrofitter

Status

My Social Networking

Oh well, i work down the road from the London Stratford (5 mins) so thats why i was asking.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI

MODS:
    S3 facelift,