Long(ish) brake pedal...

DarkBunny

Reaction score
Just picked up my new Audi (well new to me!) and I've noticed that it's got quite a long brake pedal (meaning that I've got to push it down some considerable distance to get full pressure).

Is this a normal thing for these cars? I've driven a company A3 (2010 model) and it bites and stops immediately.

It's been serviced the other week and MOT'd, so brakes are fine - just long.

Advice gratefully received,
Cheers

Sounds like possible air in the slave cylinder.

A3s don't have slave cylinders, well I suppose the calipers are the equivalent of that. Unless some have rear drum brakes(?).

FWIW the two 170s seem to have more travel than the 140 TDI I had. The brakes work really well but there is dead travel despite being fully bled a few times.

my daughters 2004 1.6 and the 2010 im useing dont have to push the pedal to far

You could try and bleed them starting with the rear passenger side then drivers rear then front passenger and lastly the drivers however if it was air generally your brakes would be spongy as your callipers adjust as the pads wear you shouldn't really notice any difference unless they are really worn .
Is fluid level ok also and is your clutch ok ?

You could try and bleed them starting with the rear passenger side then drivers rear then front passenger and lastly the drivers however if it was air generally your brakes would be spongy as your callipers adjust as the pads wear you shouldn't really notice any difference unless they are really worn .
Is fluid level ok also and is your clutch ok ?

Fluid level and clutch is fine. Looking at the service history, the brake fluid box hasn't been ticked at all - its only done 51k but it's 6 years old...

Checked with dealer and been quoted £60 for full fluid change - may just do that to cross it off the list!

Fluid level and clutch is fine. Looking at the service history, the brake fluid box hasn't been ticked at all - its only done 51k but it's 6 years old...

Checked with dealer and been quoted £60 for full fluid change - may just do that to cross it off the list!

I would get it done by them if u don't know anyone to do it for u.
60 quid isn't too bad I think.
Just out of interest when was the discs and pads changed?
Personally I was getting the discs and pads changed I'd change the fluid at the same time :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

More of a peace of mind to change the fluid then if ur planning to keep the car :)
Audi recommend its changed every 2 years ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2