• 1 Post By S3Alex
  • 1 Post By DeckedS3
  • 1 Post By tcardio

Thread: To supercharge or turbo it?!

Reverse Gear

Status

To supercharge or turbo it?!

Hi people.

Recently brought a 3.2 a3. Love it. I purposely brought the v6 over and s3 . FFirstly because of the awesome v6 noise. Secondly the low down torque. I don't care about the fuel economy ( my last car was an rx7 with 535hp atw and that struggled to get over 14mpg even on a run) so 22/26 mpg in this v6 is loads..

my grand plan has always been to FI this car. Now I'm undecided which route to go down.

Anyone on here with real world experience of this lump with FI. I'm interested in your opinions not just the garage that's trying to sell their kit.

my original desire was to supercharge it so its more linear power delivery and more refined. But I don't want a whining cat noise constant. From reading the rotrex charger is the quietest .

Help guys
    Mark

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    It's a costs a fortune from memory it's around 10000 to 12000 for either I would probably go turbo if I had the disposable cash.

Rarely neutral

Status
    As chiilout has said,the first thing is to work out if you have sufficient funds to do this properly,and also decide how much power you will want,now and later.

If you don't,the results are likely to be unsatisfactory.

The HGP 500bhp turbo conversion comes in at around £20k, and the 400bhp Rotrex supercharger kit is around £7k,and against the greater power,economy,and lower cost of the turbo,comes the instant boost of the supercharger.

A huge price differential,but also a lot of power difference as well.

You might want to have a chat with Steve Collier over on VAGOC,who's been doing a lot of work on his 3.2.

2nd Gear

Status
    it will depend what you can do your self and how good you are at fabricating ect !

you can buy parts and make all the bits up your self i know a guy thats built a mk1 caddy vr6 turbo and it wasent to much to do, i know its a different aplication but still you could build a good quality turbo kit for probably £4000 ish and you can pick up large garrets on ebay for bugger all that need a rebuild !

Reverse Gear

Status
    I'm only wanting to achieve 350/ 375 hp range. From reading this is the stage these dsg boxs are happy with. Who does rotrex charger kits.
    I contacted jbs I think it was and they have it on their site but don't offer it any more.
    Contacted trd they offer a charger kit but its not rotrex. And from you tube sounds a whiney supercharger. Anyone got this?

AUSmotive.com

Status
    Unless you're prepared for the high probability that, at some stage, it will breakdown and leave you stranded on the side of the road with even more money to spend I'd be inclined to sell it and buy something else that's easier to mod.

I say that based on a couple of guys I know went down a similar path with Mk4 R32s.

I know you probably won't want to do that, haha, so more power to you, figuratively and literally!
    AUSmotive.com // AUSringers.com

AUDI: MY10 S3 (8P3) / Nav+AMI / Sunroof / Blackout Grille / RS6 FBMFSW / PSS10s / Milltek TBE / APR HPFP / APR Stage 2+ tune

1st Gear

Status
    I would go supercharger, instant-ish response and little lag, good for 400hp, you really don't need any more. It might be better for the DSG too as the power and torque is more linear rather than a sudden surge of boost but again this depends on what turbocharger you go for.
    You might also be better off with an R36 swap, with a bit of tuning they are good for around 370hp.
    2008 A3 1.8t FSI Sportback S-Line - Avus Silver - Full spec.

3rd Gear

Status
    plenty of love on this side of the pond with HPA 20th anniversary turbo kit at 10K USD. This is the only kit I recommend. Marcel did a great job with this kit and over 10 cars have been seriously happy. With that said...just enjoy the 3.2 as is. If you need your side of the pond information than ask DeckedS3. He has experience with the supercharger. You may find a better reply from him over at Vagoc

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Mgharris2182 View Post
    I'm only wanting to achieve 350/ 375 hp range. From reading this is the stage these dsg boxs are happy with. Who does rotrex charger kits.
    I contacted jbs I think it was and they have it on their site but don't offer it any more.
    Contacted trd they offer a charger kit but its not rotrex. And from you tube sounds a whiney supercharger. Anyone got this?
    The DSG is good up to around 400bhp and 400lbs torque.....after that you need a clutch rebuild.

As before,speak to Decked and Steve Collier over on VAGOC who have more info.

5th Gear

Status
    About £6k for supercharger to get about 360bhp TRD supercharger my cuzin used was good on his a4 3.2v6 was wicked nice whining noise and power output was nice, twin turbo would be the superior option but will cost about £18K and is alot of work but well worth it for 600+ bhp
    A3 2.0TDI FWD sportback with GT1756 250.3bhp 336ft lb, forge boost hoses red, milltek decat system, BMC panel filter, golf gti edition 30 full front brakes brembo pads, black honeycomb grill, full oem s line kit + cupra r lip, LED side lights, OEM xenons, LED interior lighting, LED A8 number plate lights, boost gauge, alloy catch can with red hoses, FBSW, windows tinted, de-badged, now on air ride with chassis notch BBS CH

3rd Gear

Status
    Stay away from the supercharger..... I had a supercharger on my Mk4 r32 and I ended up ripping it off and sticking a hgp turbo on it. Wish I'd done that the first time round. Yes it costs more, but it works properly!

Meteor S3, APR Stage 3, APR HPFP, Milltek TBE, LOBA/Sach's Clutch, Bilstein PSS10's, H&R ARB, Gen4 Haldex PP, EVOM's DV & CAI, Forge TB with Pro-Alloy IC, BBS CK 19" My S3

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DeckedS3 View Post
    Stay away from the supercharger..... I had a supercharger on my Mk4 r32 and I ended up ripping it off and sticking a hgp turbo on it. Wish I'd done that the first time round. Yes it costs more, but it works properly!
    were you not impressed by supercharger ? How come ?
    A3 2.0TDI FWD sportback with GT1756 250.3bhp 336ft lb, forge boost hoses red, milltek decat system, BMC panel filter, golf gti edition 30 full front brakes brembo pads, black honeycomb grill, full oem s line kit + cupra r lip, LED side lights, OEM xenons, LED interior lighting, LED A8 number plate lights, boost gauge, alloy catch can with red hoses, FBSW, windows tinted, de-badged, now on air ride with chassis notch BBS CH

Reverse Gear

Status
    How come the charger was so bad decked?

The TRD charger kit was getting a fair few ticks at this stage. :-/

3rd Gear

Status
    I had the vf stage 2 kit. It slipped, belt came off and the power was debatable. And when the belt came off, it was dangerous. The car would shut off.... Try doing 70mph round a bend and halfway round everything turns off. The turbo was in another league. It drove awesome, felt connected and went like stink.
    S3Alex likes this.

Meteor S3, APR Stage 3, APR HPFP, Milltek TBE, LOBA/Sach's Clutch, Bilstein PSS10's, H&R ARB, Gen4 Haldex PP, EVOM's DV & CAI, Forge TB with Pro-Alloy IC, BBS CK 19" My S3

5th Gear

Status
    That is dangerous sure the right size belt was used because thats strange my mates audi worked very well with TRD supercharger, also th VF superchargers are supposed to be wicked pretty shocked to hear that, ABT do good products but very pricey, i paid £300 for ported intake manifold on mine by a ABT dealer in melbourne austrailia

3rd Gear

Status
    Like I said...pay attention to DeckedS3. He's been around the block a few times and his experience is well respected
    DeckedS3 likes this.

3rd Gear

Status
    The only supercharger kit that I know of on the 3.2 thats any good is the Rotrex unit. I've never been in one though.....

Reverse Gear

Status
    What experience do you have of the TRD kit mate? Tbh rotrex charger is the charger that appeals the most

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Mgharris2182 View Post
    What experience do you have of the TRD kit mate? Tbh rotrex charger is the charger that appeals the most
    I've only had the VF and everyone I know thats had one (after me) has had issues. My experience put me off supercharges for good.