DSG Lost Drive / Gear

MrLapou

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced, or know of this gearbox 'glitch' ???
My car is one of the first DSG cars in the UK.....Jan 2003 2.0TDi SE

Took car out of garage, drove 150m to end of road, to give way at junction....
Slowly easing out...then without drama, noise etc, car lost drive although lever was in D. Prodded accelerator...to no joy...

Moved lever to P N R and D but nothing. Engine idling like normal, applied a little throttle , but the car did not move...

Luckily, it stopped on a slight incline and managed to let the car roll back into the side road...

Sat there for a while and moved the lever through the gears...Nothing.

Switched engine off then back on...if by magic....drive / gears now work. Drove another 20 miles through a mix of B roads and town.
All worked as back to normal...

It's worrying as, if it happened at a critical junction perhaps the out come would not have been so uneventful...

I have heard of this before but only on a TT. May be worth looking into the TT forum here on Audi-Sport.net or the TT-Forum on www.tt-forum.co.uk

sounds like a software glitch ?
Maybe the Audi Dealer can Upgrade the DSG software for you, like people upgrade from Windows 2000 up to Windows XP ?

Someone posted a while back that there was a 'protection' in place that if you held the brake down at the same time as the juice it cut the power to protect the gearbox/clutch.

Sure you weren't just touching the brake a little bit?

No was not touching the brake.... It seems after reading other postings that this is a known problem....

Booked in for Tuesday. Receptionist seemed awfully concerned about the problem (did not give to much away)..I suspect, like others have mentioned on here, Audi know about the problem.....

Will provide further update after Tuesdays visit.

[ QUOTE ]
Someone posted a while back that there was a 'protection' in place that if you held the brake down at the same time as the juice it cut the power to protect the gearbox/clutch.

Sure you weren't just touching the brake a little bit?

[/ QUOTE ]

it only cuts the power slightly not totaly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Audi put it on test, checked whatever they do, to report no errors found..They wanted a mechanic to take it home and do a cold start in the morning..... NO Chance. told then to leave at garage and do a cold start from there in the morning which will be the same, since car is always garage at my home overnight....

So far the fault has not reocurred...

why not agree to mechanic take it home and test ? its the only way a fault can be found ?

Hehe I agreed to that once before for a similar cold start check-up with my previous 206 180...

I checked the computer when I got the car back... an extra 70 miles on the clock and avg mpg from its usual 28-ish down to 18... I never managed to get the average that low! Must have been driven to within an inch of its life!

So, never again. If a cold start test is required, it can certainly be done at the garage.