Which lowering springs to go for?

You sure it is the wheel rubbing and not the belly tray on the square speed bumps? You shouldn't be rubbing unless you haven't removed the arch screw.

Hope it's not the belly pan - defo the wheel arches or the inner lining.

Its the Audi a3 sport edition non s line so it's dropped already by 10mm. Just really strange all of this rubbing. Either will remove the inner rear lining or look at replacing the rear shock absorbers.

Jesus, removing the arch linings is quite drastic. You shouldn't be getting any rubbing, you can remove the arch lining screw to see if that helps first.

Also, looking at the before ride height I don't see how that would rub unless you are carting around a grand piano. Perhaps its a different issue.

You have a side on shot of the new stance?

Will take some more pictures today and have it upby the evening. The only thing that is in the back of the car is a spare wheel which shouldn't cause that much.

If I remove the lining, am I exposing anything which could rust easily or cause damage to the paintwork?

Will take some more pictures today and have it upby the evening. The only thing that is in the back of the car is a spare wheel which shouldn't cause that much.

If I remove the lining, am I exposing anything which could rust easily or cause damage to the paintwork?

I have a sport too with the same springs, had 2 people in the back of the car last week and no rubbing.

I cant picture what is behind it, but by removing the wheel arch lining you will get water and dirt spray up where its not supposed to be. Start with removing the screw, if it still rubs you have a problem that you look into further, possibly the shocks, i'm not sure hopefully others on here can help further. But removing the arch lining is like putting a sticker over the check engine light, just ignoring a problem.

Take a look at this thread, looks like this guy had the same problem of rubbing when it clearly shouldn't be.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...hen-there-5-people-sit-back-my-a3-s-back.html

I have the 07 sport back and i went for the H&R 55mm drop on the 18" wheels...

I have a sport too with the same springs, had 2 people in the back of the car last week and no rubbing.

I cant picture what is behind it, but by removing the wheel arch lining you will get water and dirt spray up where its not supposed to be. Start with removing the screw, if it still rubs you have a problem that you look into further, possibly the shocks, i'm not sure hopefully others on here can help further. But removing the arch lining is like putting a sticker over the check engine light, just ignoring a problem.

Take a look at this thread, looks like this guy had the same problem of rubbing when it clearly shouldn't be.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...hen-there-5-people-sit-back-my-a3-s-back.html

great advise so far with the above. Thanks.

Wherw snouts is the screw?

I havent had any problems with rubbing at the back? i had a full car last night and no rubbing at all. The one thing i do have a problem with sometimes is the front under guard catching the top of some speed bumps... but it doesn't really bother me.

I havent had any problems with rubbing at the back? i had a full car last night and no rubbing at all. The one thing i do have a problem with sometimes is the front under guard catching the top of some speed bumps... but it doesn't really bother me.

its just so strange! My Audi looks identical (minus the colour) to yours and it just rubs with no one in the car.

Am due to go away next weekend with a full car and slightly worried about this one :(

Hope it's not the belly pan - defo the wheel arches or the inner lining.

Its the Audi a3 sport edition non s line so it's dropped already by 10mm. Just really strange all of this rubbing. Either will remove the inner rear lining or look at replacing the rear shock absorbers.

not the belly pan, the protective plastic tray under the engine, mine rubs when going over speed bumps and I've got a sport with H&Rs on 18s 225/40/18 tyres, I've removed the two screws as mentioned many times in this thread.

Also, don't waste your time looking at the rear shock obsorbers, it's not them, the springs prevent the vehicle from sagging when shocks fail, If the rear end was bouncy then I'd look into them.

not the belly pan, the protective plastic tray under the engine, mine rubs when going over speed bumps and I've got a sport with H&Rs on 18s 225/40/18 tyres, I've removed the two screws as mentioned many times in this thread.

Also, don't waste your time looking at the rear shock obsorbers, it's not them, the springs prevent the vehicle from sagging when shocks fail, If the rear end was bouncy then I'd look into them.

Excellent. Found the screw so will remove it later

Screw has been removed and so far it is looking good....seeing as half the screw was black in colour and the other half was smoooooth ;)

would upgrading the rear dampers benefit in any way? - still having a lot of rubbing with 4 people in the car

i still struggle to see how, the arch will sit in line with the top of the alloy on mine with the same offset and tyres as you and i get no problems at all

i still struggle to see how, the arch will sit in line with the top of the alloy on mine with the same offset and tyres as you and i get no problems at all

this is what is confusing the crap out of me! im now just thinking either get rid of the 18s or just try new shocks?

this is what is confusing the crap out of me! im now just thinking either get rid of the 18s or just try new shocks?

It's not your shocks, I've already said this. Shocks don't control the height of the vehicle just the rebound of any movement in the spring otherwise the vehicle will just bounce once going over a bump.

Who fitted the springs?

It's not your shocks, I've already said this. Shocks don't control the height of the vehicle just the rebound of any movement in the spring otherwise the vehicle will just bounce once going over a bump.

Who fitted the springs?

just a local garage

Mine is on genuine S Line wheels (RS6) 18" x 7.5" and no where near rubbing.

225/40/18 should not rub on an ET45 8" wide wheel.

In the photo you posted, they tyre does seem to have quite a high side wall but not the best of photos. You got any better pictures to show the tyre to arch gap?

Is it FWD or Quattro and did you get the correct springs if Quattro?

Who fitted the springs?

Hi Chris

I have been in the car. When driving on good/flat roads there is so rubbing at all. Its when he go fast around corners and on country and rubbish lanes.

The tyre is rubbing on the inner lining of the arch and not on the body work.

Hope this helps

just got a feeling the offset of the wheels are insane and im just going to wave goodbye to these :(

Do like those wheels, have you got a mate with some other VAG fitment wheels you can try on the back to check first.

Do like those wheels, have you got a mate with some other VAG fitment wheels you can try on the back to check first.

in short no. Jonse has some BBS 18" but would have to bribe him with either lots of love or beer

As aleady advised, speak to Damien at DPM Performance on here. Brilliant service when I got my coilovers.

well any number below 45 will stick out of the arch, any number above 45 will tuck in the arch.

Considering the standard alloys are ET 56 or something and they don't rub.

im wanting an alloy like the speedline which is a bit different to the standard OEM alloys out there - what offeset are your BBS?

Find some genuine speed lines would be my advise if you get rubbing like you say you are they would then be et 56 which would tuck and stop your rubbing on the archliners, my LM's are et45, the same as your current alloys "apparently" however i have no rubbing even when the back of the car is all but touching the floor

Find some genuine speed lines would be my advise if you get rubbing like you say you are they would then be et 56 which would tuck and stop your rubbing on the archliners, my LM's are et45, the same as your current alloys "apparently" however i have no rubbing even when the back of the car is all but touching the floor

this all just so strange! i've put my wheels up on ebay and going to replace them with some speedlines

Photo 1
Photo 2

heres a better picture of what is going on

Please please please, for Pete's sake, get some genuine Audi wheels this time, if it says "style" "look" "copies" etc etc etc without saying they are Genuine BBS Speedlines don't buy them, you'll be in the same situation as before. My Dare LP560s are ET 43 with 225/40/18 tyres so I don't know why you are rubbing as I'm not.

Please please please, for Pete's sake, get some genuine Audi wheels this time, if it says "style" "look" "copies" etc etc etc without saying they are Genuine BBS Speedlines don't buy them, you'll be in the same situation as before. My Dare LP560s are ET 43 with 225/40/18 tyres so I don't know why you are rubbing as I'm not.

True, I'm running 20" rotors and 225/30/20 and they don't rub either - ET 45.

That being said, there isn't a lot of tyre left to rub!

yea, i bet your current alloys are ET38, i can tell that by those pics by the paint on the tyre, the sidewall of your tyre doesnt tuck like et45's can due to being stuck out of the arch by 7mm compared to mine.

ensure alloys are ET45 or above and youll be fine