Chris NottMonster Motorsport
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Which lowering springs to go for?

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chris.vincent3 View Post
    You sure it is the wheel rubbing and not the belly tray on the square speed bumps? You shouldn't be rubbing unless you haven't removed the arch screw.
    Hope it's not the belly pan - defo the wheel arches or the inner lining.

Its the Audi a3 sport edition non s line so it's dropped already by 10mm. Just really strange all of this rubbing. Either will remove the inner rear lining or look at replacing the rear shock absorbers.

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MTRL View Post
    Jesus, removing the arch linings is quite drastic. You shouldn't be getting any rubbing, you can remove the arch lining screw to see if that helps first.

Also, looking at the before ride height I don't see how that would rub unless you are carting around a grand piano. Perhaps its a different issue.

You have a side on shot of the new stance?
    Will take some more pictures today and have it upby the evening. The only thing that is in the back of the car is a spare wheel which shouldn't cause that much.

If I remove the lining, am I exposing anything which could rust easily or cause damage to the paintwork?

Split Grill!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by theo289 View Post
    Will take some more pictures today and have it upby the evening. The only thing that is in the back of the car is a spare wheel which shouldn't cause that much.

If I remove the lining, am I exposing anything which could rust easily or cause damage to the paintwork?
    I have a sport too with the same springs, had 2 people in the back of the car last week and no rubbing.

I cant picture what is behind it, but by removing the wheel arch lining you will get water and dirt spray up where its not supposed to be. Start with removing the screw, if it still rubs you have a problem that you look into further, possibly the shocks, i'm not sure hopefully others on here can help further. But removing the arch lining is like putting a sticker over the check engine light, just ignoring a problem.

Take a look at this thread, looks like this guy had the same problem of rubbing when it clearly shouldn't be.

driver side rear arch rubs when there is 5 people sit in the back of my a3 s back ??
    ....................I'll make a build thread one day.

living the dream

Status

My Social Networking

Follow C6 DRN On Twitter Add C6 DRN on Facebook Visit C6 DRN's Youtube Channel Visit C6 DRN's Instagram Channel
    I have the 07 sport back and i went for the H&R 55mm drop on the 18" wheels...

Audi S3 | DSG | Black Edition | Quattro | Heko Wind Deflectors | Heated Leather Seats | Bose | RNSE | Cruise Control | Sunroof | Electric Mirrors | Armrest | 6k Miles
    WAAAAAAP TSSSSS

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by C6 DRN View Post
    I have the 07 sport back and i went for the H&R 55mm drop on the 18" wheels...

Very smart! - silly question but does it rub at the back

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MTRL View Post
    I have a sport too with the same springs, had 2 people in the back of the car last week and no rubbing.

I cant picture what is behind it, but by removing the wheel arch lining you will get water and dirt spray up where its not supposed to be. Start with removing the screw, if it still rubs you have a problem that you look into further, possibly the shocks, i'm not sure hopefully others on here can help further. But removing the arch lining is like putting a sticker over the check engine light, just ignoring a problem.

Take a look at this thread, looks like this guy had the same problem of rubbing when it clearly shouldn't be.

driver side rear arch rubs when there is 5 people sit in the back of my a3 s back ??
    great advise so far with the above. Thanks.

Wherw snouts is the screw?

living the dream

Status

My Social Networking

Follow C6 DRN On Twitter Add C6 DRN on Facebook Visit C6 DRN's Youtube Channel Visit C6 DRN's Instagram Channel
    I havent had any problems with rubbing at the back? i had a full car last night and no rubbing at all. The one thing i do have a problem with sometimes is the front under guard catching the top of some speed bumps... but it doesn't really bother me.
    Audi S3 | DSG | Black Edition | Quattro | Heko Wind Deflectors | Heated Leather Seats | Bose | RNSE | Cruise Control | Sunroof | Electric Mirrors | Armrest | 6k Miles
    WAAAAAAP TSSSSS

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by C6 DRN View Post
    I havent had any problems with rubbing at the back? i had a full car last night and no rubbing at all. The one thing i do have a problem with sometimes is the front under guard catching the top of some speed bumps... but it doesn't really bother me.
    its just so strange! My Audi looks identical (minus the colour) to yours and it just rubs with no one in the car.

Am due to go away next weekend with a full car and slightly worried about this one

Split Grill!

Status
    great advise so far with the above. Thanks.

Wherw snouts is the screw?
    There is a pic on this thread that shows where it is, just where the bumper meets the panel.

Wheel arch rub with spacers on S3 8P3 (all else OEM)....Any solutions??
    ....................I'll make a build thread one day.

3rd Gear

Status
    Hope it's not the belly pan - defo the wheel arches or the inner lining.

Its the Audi a3 sport edition non s line so it's dropped already by 10mm. Just really strange all of this rubbing. Either will remove the inner rear lining or look at replacing the rear shock absorbers.
    not the belly pan, the protective plastic tray under the engine, mine rubs when going over speed bumps and I've got a sport with H&Rs on 18s 225/40/18 tyres, I've removed the two screws as mentioned many times in this thread.

Also, don't waste your time looking at the rear shock obsorbers, it's not them, the springs prevent the vehicle from sagging when shocks fail, If the rear end was bouncy then I'd look into them.

1st Gear

Status
    not the belly pan, the protective plastic tray under the engine, mine rubs when going over speed bumps and I've got a sport with H&Rs on 18s 225/40/18 tyres, I've removed the two screws as mentioned many times in this thread.

Also, don't waste your time looking at the rear shock obsorbers, it's not them, the springs prevent the vehicle from sagging when shocks fail, If the rear end was bouncy then I'd look into them.
    Excellent. Found the screw so will remove it later

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by BoutTime View Post
    Have you fitted spacers as they look fairly flush with the arches?
    Sorry for the late reply - no wheel spacers are fitted to the car

1st Gear

Status
    Screw has been removed and so far it is looking good....seeing as half the screw was black in colour and the other half was smoooooth

Neutral

Status
    Sorry for the late reply - no wheel spacers are fitted to the car
    Must be the offset then as they're an RS6 replica. Which is probably the reason for the rubbing.
    After 3 BMWs in over 13 years, I'm giving Audi a go.

1st Gear

Status
    would upgrading the rear dampers benefit in any way? - still having a lot of rubbing with 4 people in the car

5th Gear

Status
    i still struggle to see how, the arch will sit in line with the top of the alloy on mine with the same offset and tyres as you and i get no problems at all

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfworth View Post
    i still struggle to see how, the arch will sit in line with the top of the alloy on mine with the same offset and tyres as you and i get no problems at all
    this is what is confusing the crap out of me! im now just thinking either get rid of the 18s or just try new shocks?

3rd Gear

Status
    this is what is confusing the crap out of me! im now just thinking either get rid of the 18s or just try new shocks?
    It's not your shocks, I've already said this. Shocks don't control the height of the vehicle just the rebound of any movement in the spring otherwise the vehicle will just bounce once going over a bump.

Who fitted the springs?

5th Gear

Status
    I'd say it's ur alloys, simply because you had rubbing before you fitted springs.

1st Gear

Status
    It's not your shocks, I've already said this. Shocks don't control the height of the vehicle just the rebound of any movement in the spring otherwise the vehicle will just bounce once going over a bump.

Who fitted the springs?
    just a local garage

Neutral

Status
    Mine is on genuine S Line wheels (RS6) 18" x 7.5" and no where near rubbing.

225/40/18 should not rub on an ET45 8" wide wheel.

In the photo you posted, they tyre does seem to have quite a high side wall but not the best of photos. You got any better pictures to show the tyre to arch gap?

Is it FWD or Quattro and did you get the correct springs if Quattro?

2nd Gear

Status

Who fitted the springs?
    Hi Chris

I have been in the car. When driving on good/flat roads there is so rubbing at all. Its when he go fast around corners and on country and rubbish lanes.

The tyre is rubbing on the inner lining of the arch and not on the body work.

Hope this helps

1st Gear

Status
    just got a feeling the offset of the wheels are insane and im just going to wave goodbye to these

1st Gear

Status
    okay so ive just been sat down with Jonse and im going to sell the wheels as i think this is what the issue is and seeing as i provisioned £150 for new dampers (not even needed), im going to buy some split rim 18s:

NEW 18" S LINE X SPOKE STYLE ALLOYS IN SILVER, STUNNING RARE WHEEL et42, BM Autosport Ltd

let me know what you think

Neutral

Status
    Do like those wheels, have you got a mate with some other VAG fitment wheels you can try on the back to check first.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Mol View Post
    Do like those wheels, have you got a mate with some other VAG fitment wheels you can try on the back to check first.
    in short no. Jonse has some BBS 18" but would have to bribe him with either lots of love or beer

5th Gear

Status
    Et42?! They'll stick out even further and rub even more than your ET45's

1st Gear

Status
    Et42?! They'll stick out even further and rub even more than your ET45's
    What ET would be recommended?

Reverse Gear

Status
    Where can I buy the 55mm H&R springs from guys?

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan-uk View Post
    Where can I buy the 55mm H&R springs from guys?
    i bought mine from DPM Performance. You can also get them from Euro Parts (usually next day)

Reverse Gear

Status
    Ok no worries thank you

When I grow up, I want a 964!

Status

My Social Networking

Visit leeds2592's Instagram Channel
    As aleady advised, speak to Damien at DPM Performance on here. Brilliant service when I got my coilovers.
    Black 2007 2.0 FSI Sport
    2011 Glossy Black RNS-E |AP Coilovers | 18" 7 Spoke OEM BE Alloy Wheels | H&R Trak+ Spacers 8mm (Front) 12mm (Rear) | MY11 Rear Lights | S Line Spoiler | Retrofitted MFSW | Retrofitted Cruise Control | Interior LED Light Pack | OEM LED Numberplate Bulbs

5th Gear

Status
    What ET would be recommended?
    well any number below 45 will stick out of the arch, any number above 45 will tuck in the arch.

Considering the standard alloys are ET 56 or something and they don't rub.

1st Gear

Status
    well any number below 45 will stick out of the arch, any number above 45 will tuck in the arch.

Considering the standard alloys are ET 56 or something and they don't rub.
    im wanting an alloy like the speedline which is a bit different to the standard OEM alloys out there - what offeset are your BBS?

5th Gear

Status
    Find some genuine speed lines would be my advise if you get rubbing like you say you are they would then be et 56 which would tuck and stop your rubbing on the archliners, my LM's are et45, the same as your current alloys "apparently" however i have no rubbing even when the back of the car is all but touching the floor

1st Gear

Status
    Find some genuine speed lines would be my advise if you get rubbing like you say you are they would then be et 56 which would tuck and stop your rubbing on the archliners, my LM's are et45, the same as your current alloys "apparently" however i have no rubbing even when the back of the car is all but touching the floor
    this all just so strange! i've put my wheels up on ebay and going to replace them with some speedlines

1st Gear

Status
    photo 1.jpg
    photo 2.jpg

heres a better picture of what is going on

3rd Gear

Status
    Please please please, for Pete's sake, get some genuine Audi wheels this time, if it says "style" "look" "copies" etc etc etc without saying they are Genuine BBS Speedlines don't buy them, you'll be in the same situation as before. My Dare LP560s are ET 43 with 225/40/18 tyres so I don't know why you are rubbing as I'm not.

NME
    1st Gear

Status
    Please please please, for Pete's sake, get some genuine Audi wheels this time, if it says "style" "look" "copies" etc etc etc without saying they are Genuine BBS Speedlines don't buy them, you'll be in the same situation as before. My Dare LP560s are ET 43 with 225/40/18 tyres so I don't know why you are rubbing as I'm not.
    True, I'm running 20" rotors and 225/30/20 and they don't rub either - ET 45.

That being said, there isn't a lot of tyre left to rub!

5th Gear

Status
    yea, i bet your current alloys are ET38, i can tell that by those pics by the paint on the tyre, the sidewall of your tyre doesnt tuck like et45's can due to being stuck out of the arch by 7mm compared to mine.

ensure alloys are ET45 or above and youll be fine

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast