Knocking noise

emznjav

Reaction score
Hi peeps

Drove the car and getting some ratting kind of noise from the back sounds like its coming from the suspension. it happens when im going over potholes or sa bumpy road. I have checked the tools in the back and they are secure so its not that. Any ideas before I get it up on the ramp to have a look?

Car is A3 2.0 TDI s line btw.

Right took it on another drive and its like metallic rattle if that helps.

Ill get it on the ramp tomorrow at the local garage and let u guys know

I bet it's the plastic covers on the bottom of the rear strut. Both of mine rattled like a b!tch as the plastic tangs snap off easy.

Reactions: NHN
Yeap the stone guards are the usual on the 5dr A3 8P as Gooch states.

Yea sounds like the heat shield thingys ( technical term :p) behind the brake rotors. Both mine went on the back! Makes a horrible tinny rattle? I just cut them off!

Right it was a broken spring the small bit of coil had snapped off and it was banging with the metal. New spring ordered and supposed to be fitted for £100 on Tuesday. Is that a fair price?

may be better of buying 2 new springs and get fitted at same time, if one has gone you can bet the other will follow.
Dont know how it will sit with 1 new spring may be perched up one side/end.

Reactions: r15wne and T33_BKD
Hi peeps

Drove the car and getting some ratting kind of noise from the back sounds like its coming from the suspension. it happens when im going over potholes or sa bumpy road.

Car is A3 2.0 TDI s line btw.

I am having the exact same problem with my 2.0 tdi s-line, beggining to wonder whether if its a common fault. how much did you end up paying for the spring(s) in the end? only asking as my car is at the garages at the moment for the same fault (rattling on the rear right when going over potholes/bumpy roads) i wouldve thought it was a wishbone, but its beggining to sound like the springs!

Just an update for anyone with the same problem - I can confirm that a metal clanking/rattling noise from the rear of the car while driving over bumpy surfaces was also due to a broken spring on my a3 2.0 TDI. looking to get both springs replaced now, can anyone recommend any garages in London? got quoted £281.54 for parts+fitting.

Ask Damian@dpm for some decent aftermarket springs like Eibach pro's & get fitted all round as that's cheaper than audi's costs I reckon for whole new set.

Ask Damian@dpm for some decent aftermarket springs like Eibach pro's & get fitted all round as that's cheaper than audi's costs I reckon for whole new set.

DPM? and im not too keen on aftermarket springs to be honest as the OEM s line springs are hard enough! audi quoted £68.69 inc VAT for each spring.

Site sponsor & trust me I don't do the euro **** on ground, but we've been running eibach pro's on 2 cars now for years & they have been superb, Damian is the man to ask as he may suggest something else better & £300 plus fitting at audi will be £500 easily imho, I know he can sell parts cheaper & then you can find a local reliable garage to fit them for you.

Reactions: T33_BKD
Site sponsor & trust me I don't do the euro **** on ground, but we've been running eibach pro's on 2 cars now for years & they have been superb, Damian is the man to ask as he may suggest something else better & £300 plus fitting at audi will be £500 easily imho, I know he can sell parts cheaper & then you can find a local reliable garage to fit them for you.

lol im not a fan of **** on the ground either, only way ill switch to eibach is if it sits at the same ride height as an s-line with better ride quality. The £281 quote included two OEM s line springs including fitting at a local garage. If Damian can give me a good price i just might just give him a shout thanks

Ah there lies the mistake, you said parts "plus" fitting, not "& fitting" lol if you're happy with that then stump up, otherwise explore alternatives :)

I meant including! :blush: its £137 for parts & £144 for labour. but yes definately looking around for alternatives!

Thanks damian! will shocks need to be changed too as the car is on ~110k?

Just seen this.
I have the same rattle/knock from the drivers side rear. I can't get it to a garage until the new year, is there any way I can tell if the spring is broken without putting it on a ramp?

Yes, just Park with the drivers side over a pavement, get underneath the car and feel around the Base of the suspension, u should be able to just remove the broken piece.

Well I had a look on Sunday when I put the winter wheels on and could find anything wrong with the springs. I also parked it on level ground and measured the ride high, it's the same

So don't know what it could be.

I had a similar situation around a year ago. It turned out that a piece of plastic at the top of the damper had broken off which bounced and rattled up and down the shocker, which in turn knocked against the inner bodywork.

I had to replace it. Which meant two. :-(

P

I had a similar situation around a year ago. It turned out that a piece of plastic at the top of the damper had broken off which bounced and rattled up and down the shocker, which in turn knocked against the inner bodywork.

I had to replace it. Which meant two. :-(

P

Now I did notice that what looked like a shocker sleeve was high up on the right side and a lot lower on the NS.

Thanks

Last edited:
This is still driving me mad. I have been under the car today. The shockers are all OK. The only thing I can find that's loose and might be making the noise is a plastic tray that runs flat under the near side rear trailing arm, but it sounds like it's coming from the top of the wheel arch.

Could this be the source of the noise?

It sure can. The plastic tangs break off and then they rattle around. I just drilled a hole in mine through the rear arms and bolted it in with a small m6 bolt and washer. Hey presto banging stopped.

You could of course just rip them off !

It sure can. The plastic tangs break off and then they rattle around. I just drilled a hole in mine through the rear arms and bolted it in with a small m6 bolt and washer. Hey presto banging stopped.

You could of course just rip them off !

It's in for its MOT on Saturday so will ask if I can have a look when it's on the ramp

You don't need a ramp. Just put you hand behind the rear wheel and tap the plastic cover. If it moves then it will be the source of your noise. 10 minute job to solve.

You don't need a ramp. Just put you hand behind the rear wheel and tap the plastic cover. If it moves then it will be the source of your noise. 10 minute job to solve.

Yes if I tap it it moves up and down.
It looks like a under suspension tray, it goes from under the shocker mount towards the front of the car.

There is your problem then. Trust me I have had both go on mine and for the amount of movement in them they don't have make a racket. I like you thought my shockers were goosed but they were fine.

There is your problem then. Trust me I have had both go on mine and for the amount of movement in them they don't have make a racket. I like you thought my shockers were goosed but they were fine.

Thanks

I will have a look on Saturday and see if I can fix it or order a new one 👍👍