First Oil Change Audi S3 Sportback?

Louay

Reaction score
Spoke to my Audi dealer and they said 2 years from purchase for an oil change on the long life service plan for a 62 plate S3 Sportback or when the service light appears on the dash? any one no specifics or what is healthy? car to date has 700miles on clock since end of Oct 2012.

any thoughts?

thanks

I think the long service schedule is maybe just about ok if you have a stock setup but if its mapped at all,you need to change the oil at least every 10 000 miles.

The colour of long life oil at 20 000 miles has to be seen to be believed.

As above 10k would be my maximum, no way would I leave any car to 20k, even less for an S3 :)

I think the long service schedule is maybe just about ok if you have a stock setup but if its mapped at all,you need to change the oil at least every 10 000 miles.

The colour of long life oil at 20 000 miles has to be seen to be believed.

thanks Alex, does time play a factor in this too? they said 2 years from purchase of 10,000 miles whichever comes first, does this sound about right? a year since purchase only doing sunday driving would be perhaps a little premature?

thanks Alex, does time play a factor in this too? they said 2 years from purchase of 10,000 miles whichever comes first, does this sound about right? a year since purchase only doing sunday driving would be perhaps a little premature?

There are a lot of factors such as how hard you drive,lots of short journeys etc etc but I think that 10 000 miles is sensible and changing the oil more often than the schedule won't hurt.

There are a lot of factors such as how hard you drive,lots of short journeys etc etc but I think that 10 000 miles is sensible and changing the oil more often than the schedule won't hurt.

so an oil change in October this year would not be necessary?

every 5k buddy would be perfect costs about £90 all in if you have a friend who could do it for you. I go once with that and then after 5k I do service with audi.

every 5k buddy would be perfect costs about £90 all in if you have a friend who could do it for you. I go once with that and then after 5k I do service with audi.

and if i dont drive 5k by this october, a year since purchased from new? presumably the oil does or doesn't age with time?

and if i dont drive 5k by this october, a year since purchased from new? presumably the oil does or doesn't age with time?

The oil should be ok at 5000 miles but change it regularly and way ahead of Audis schedule.

thanks for your help guys.....a shot of my racing blue mica S3 Sportback with rails, (sorry yet to blur plates out so only a side shot) more to follow.... 405948 10151427143492293 1140743677 n

I disagree with most of the above. My car is stage 1 remapped and I change my oil when the very clever system developed by Audi tells me to.

It's been shown on here before that the long life service indicator varies massively dependant on how you drive. Short daily trips = more frequent oil changes. I seem to remember the figures given in one thread varied from about 5,000 miles all the way to over 15,000 miles. That in itself tells me that the system works.

Yep, changing it more often won't do any harm, but I reckon it's a waste of money.

Reactions: SPARTAN91 and A3Kent
Agree with the above. You'd think Audi would know when the engine needs an oil service. Putting oil in the car when it doesn't need it is a waste of money, espeically with the price of oil these days.

Agree with the above. You'd think Audi would know when the engine needs an oil service. Putting oil in the car when it doesn't need it is a waste of money, espeically with the price of oil these days.

Not forgetting if anything Audi will want to do oil services more frequently to increase their profits and business with the extra/more frequent work.

Reactions: A3Kent
This one and my last S3 were/are on long life service regimes but neither have got even as far as 10K without the service indicator coming on.
Both Stage1 and lots of town driving though.

Not forgetting if anything Audi will want to do oil services more frequently to increase their profits and business with the extra/more frequent work.

A big attraction for joe bloggs is not having to service the car so the manufacturers eek out service intervals as much as possible to make it more attractive as a buyer, especially for fleet useage which is a massive market who want to keep running costs low.

How many people have failed turbos on the TDI, these things should last the lifetime of the engine but an 18,000mile+ service interval is just too long IMO for such a sensitive (as in oil purity/quality) component and why they are almost seen as an 80k component which is daft to me.

Oil degrades with age once it's out of sealed container so change it annually as a minimum IMO. If I had an S3 I'd do it every 5/6k as someone else has said they do.

My current Sportback is my fourth 8P and I have used the long life service interval on all of them and never had any problems at all. I have just had the first service on my current one at 18.5k and 18 months which is much the same as the other three. The long-life used has been specifically designed to last longer than normal oil which is one reason why it costs more.

I generally keep my cars for around three years and 35-40k miles which means I just have to pay for two services. To me changing the oil more often would be a total waste of money.

Spoke to my Audi dealer and they said 2 years from purchase for an oil change on the long life service plan for a 62 plate S3 Sportback or when the service light appears on the dash? any one no specifics or what is healthy? car to date has 700miles on clock since end of Oct 2012.

any thoughts?

thanks
I think you should only change the oil if it's been subject to moisture whilst it's been sitting! If not, I'd go with what the dealer\computer recommends.

My current Sportback is my fourth 8P and I have used the long life service interval on all of them and never had any problems at all. I have just had the first service on my current one at 18.5k and 18 months which is much the same as the other three. The long-life used has been specifically designed to last longer than normal oil which is one reason why it costs more.

I generally keep my cars for around three years and 35-40k miles which means I just have to pay for two services. To me changing the oil more often would be a total waste of money.

For a car in warranty and very low miles like that, it's fine and you're not likely to see problems at this miles. But it depends how long you're keeping the car I suppose and how a car oil changed every 20k compares to one with twice or more changes in longer term (ie well in to 3 figures).

It costs me less than £40 for an oil change with full sythentic VAG505 oil doing it myself so no big deal to change it twice yearly.