Anyone with an 8P 1.6 FSI on here?

JohnE

2005 A3 Sport 1.6 FSI
Reaction score
Care to reply or PM? Would like to compare notes on a few faults with mine.

Tried that, no response so now trying a different tack, like altering the words in a google search :)

If no one replied in an open thread, what makes you think they will go to the hassle of creating a new PM.

What faults are you experiencing?

Reactions: JamesS4cab
Faults -
Clutch judder esp in reverse and esp when cold.
Weird jerky throttle response on a constant throttle - eg constant 35mph in 4th gear or in slow moving traffic - it's impossible to make smooth progress in a traffic jam in 1st/2nd gear without slipping the clutch.
Intermittent minor misfire at idle - can't see any pattern - happens hot/cold long/short trips all weathers.

Car has done 84K with FSH - has had the cam chain changed under warranty when younger (I assume for the rattle of death - which it still does very occasionally, again with no apparent pattern).

Last edited:
Isn't the biggest problem the fact that it feels like there isnt a turbo fitted??................... Thats certainly the case with my wifes one.

Isn't the biggest problem the fact that it feels like there isnt a turbo fitted??................... Thats certainly the case with my wifes one.
It is gutless, but not as gutless as that - I'm fairly sure we established your wife's 1.6 is the 8v not the FSI, since it has a cambelt.

Faults -
Clutch judder esp in reverse and esp when cold.
Weird jerky throttle response on a constant throttle - eg constant 35mph in 4th gear or in slow moving traffic - it's impossible to make smooth progress in a traffic jam in 1st/2nd gear without slipping the clutch.
Intermittent minor misfire at idle - can't see any pattern - happens hot/cold long/short trips all weathers.

Car has done 84K with FSH - has had the cam chain changed under warranty when younger (I assume for the rattle of death - which it still does very occasionally, again with no apparent pattern).

-Clutch judder happens on mine too, not really a fault more of a characteristic, not too bothered about it, just got to be abit more carefull when its cold.

- not sure about making smooth progress issue, maybe try cleaning the throttle body.

- misfire at idle, happens on mine to, but is more noticable when holding the car on the foot brake. probably something i should look into.

Hope this puts your mind at ease.

Reactions: JohnE
It is gutless, but not as gutless as that - I'm fairly sure we established your wife's 1.6 is the 8v not the FSI, since it has a cambelt.

FM you have a good memory!! Maybe i just need to shed a few lbs to make it go faster. Or if anyone is selling 8 valves, then do please let me know as we are thinking of selling up.

-Clutch judder happens on mine too, not really a fault more of a characteristic, not too bothered about it, just got to be abit more carefull when its cold.

- not sure about making smooth progress issue, maybe try cleaning the throttle body.

- misfire at idle, happens on mine to, but is more noticable when holding the car on the foot brake. probably something i should look into.

Hope this puts your mind at ease.

i get clutch judder too in mine, mostly in reverse though, won't bother about it till it starts slipping in other gears lol

as for the jerky throttle response, could be a problem with your coil packs but don't quote me on that, as I've changes mine twice, mine is an 05 plate with 61k on the clock.

I have a 1.6FSI
The judder in reverse also happens with mine but not an issue TBH
Slow traffic at 5-10MPH is a PITA 1st gear power surges so not smooth and 2nd gear riding the clutch can't be good.
Mine is rapid though ;)

I have a 1.6FSI
The judder in reverse also happens with mine but not an issue TBH
Slow traffic at 5-10MPH is a PITA 1st gear power surges so not smooth and 2nd gear riding the clutch can't be good.
Mine is rapid though ;)

that 1st gear power surge is a killer glad its not just mine that does it lol.

How did you manage to get yours rapid lol
mine feels a bit sluggish these days

1.6 FSI brothers and sisters - thanks a million. Glad to know it's not just mine or my crap driving. That said, having had a Polo, bay window type 2, 1.8 passat and 2.8 VR6 Passat, this has by far the best seats and by far the worst everything else

[Edit] Actually the climate control is wonderful - the type 2 had no heating.

Last edited:
Check your spark plugs or better yet, for peace of mind, change them.

If you are still experiencing problems with misfires, change the coil packs.

Clutch - do these come with a dual mass flywheel? Could be on its way out or the release bearing causing the judder.

Throttle body, remove and clean.

Thanks Boydie - I changed the plugs and it made no difference - considering how common the misfire is (on other's cars) and how it doesn't seem to affect anything else I'm not mad keen to shell out for a set of coil packs.

I was wondering if this model has DMF - but again, everyone else's seems as bad so given the replacement cost (esp if it is DMF), the same applies.

I will do the throttle body though - that has to be worth a go.

Cheers.

Guilt 1.6Fsi owner.
1st gear power surge is a nightmare. I live in city centre Edinburgh and town driving is terrible.
Misfiring is the coilpack- changed mine last year and all good.
I currently have ESP/ABS lights on when going past 50-60MPH - I believe this is to do with the speed sensor in a front wheel bearing although will need to look out.