ESP/ESC safety features

57mab57

Reaction score
I recently bought an A3 TDI (140) 2012 reg and I am new to this site. I am confused over the safety (ESP/ESC) features and wonder if anyone can clarify things for me.

The sales brochure says 'ESP and it is including ABS, EBD, ASR and EDL'. The handbook/manual is less clear (it has *'s in a few places!). It calls it a 'ESC' and I interpret the manual as EDL up to 100km/h AND, since it is a FWD, electronic limited slip differential when cornering. I assume ASR is switchable off via the ESC button, and the rest, whatever they are, remain active when ASR if off. Is this correct? Can anyone help as to what all these functions actually do, or point me to a useful article that does?

thanks

Welcome to audi-sport.net. Where are you located? Any pics of the car? Im sure someone will be along shortly to advise you. Have a read in the faqs threads, see if there is anything in there. enjoy the forum. :) x

I recently bought an A3 TDI (140) 2012 reg and I am new to this site. I am confused over the safety (ESP/ESC) features and wonder if anyone can clarify things for me.

The sales brochure says 'ESP and it is including ABS, EBD, ASR and EDL'. The handbook/manual is less clear (it has *'s in a few places!). It calls it a 'ESC' and I interpret the manual as EDL up to 100km/h AND, since it is a FWD, electronic limited slip differential when cornering. I assume ASR is switchable off via the ESC button, and the rest, whatever they are, remain active when ASR if off. Is this correct? Can anyone help as to what all these functions actually do, or point me to a useful article that does?

thanks

http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/TND393-D.PDF

There u go have a read through that as it will answer everything u need ...
Google is your friend :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Trying to get out of a junction quickly and the ESP cutting in is very annoying. I find it cuts in way too sharply, so I always turn mine off as soon as I get in the car now.

Can't say iv noticed any difference as iv never turned it off lol :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

ESP = ESC. They are an "umbrella" terminology, for a host of other technologies, eg: ABS, EDL, ASR/TCS, EBD etc.

ie: ABS one part of the technology that encompasses ESP.

You are correct in stating that when you press the ESP OFF button, it only de-activates some features of ESP, not all of them. In you car it will disable ASR/TCS, but not ABS, EDL or EBD.