Monster MotorsportChris Nott
    Split Grill!

Status

Have I just shafted myself?

Hi guys,

I changed my suspension last weekend, and in the process of putting the drive shaft back in place it looks like I messed up and didn't put it back correctly.

When I took the car for a test drive around the block and I noticed a rubbing sound when i pulled to the left, but only under power. On turning back on to my road, there was a big bang and the drivers side drive shaft had disengaged.

Took it apart to find this:

The end of the drive shaft has completely split off by the looks of it.

The rest of it is sitting in there somewhere:

So I brought what I thought was the right one, £50 delivered which I was happy enough with. Turns out its the wrong one and will have to return it.

I'm trying to find the right now part but am struggling to find one. Been off the road for two weeks now

My question is.....is this a dealer only part? Please don't tell me its a dealer only part. Something tells me i'm not going to get away with fixing this for £50, don't want to have to cancel my holiday plans if its around £200-£300 which i bloody suspect it will be.

Anyone any idea of the price?

Thoughts?

....................I'll make a build thread one day.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Pushing the limits..

Status

My Social Networking

Add Sevv on Facebook
    well to answer your question its not a dealer only part if you go on ECS's website you find the different brand as for the CV boots and that they do recommend the dealer however i think they are 23 to 27 pounds as for the CV bearing thats another story i think they range between 80 to 200 pounds on the ECS website , however as you live in the UK might be even cheaper for the bearing that is

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hi, the pics are a bit un-clear but it looks like its just dislocated off of the cv circlip . The clip either sits on the end of the driveshaft or in the cv its self. As long as the spines aren't damaged it should go back together. You will get this part non genuine. Should be around £60 mark, but like i say it should go back together.

Split Grill!

Status
    Just been out to did out the bit that has sheered off:

Sorry, I have been a bit unclear. I think what I did was disturb the CV joint from the end of the drive shaft and when put it all back together, I didn't slot them together tight enough.

That bit should be on the end of the drive shaft with space enough to fit the circlip around, then should have been slotted back into the CV joint but it looks it slipped out and this end bit stayed in and got snapped off. To clarify, I need the whole drive shaft I reckon.....unless the end part can be replaced?
    Last edited by MTRL; 15th July 2013 at 21:08.

4th Gear

Status
    Nope, new/second hand shaft required I'm afraid. It appears to have sheared off at the circlip groove for some reason. I'm thinking the shaft could have possibly, as you said, become dislodged when the suspension was dismantled and caused more stress on the splined section and hence failed.

Forgive me if I've missed this but, What engine & gearbox is fitted to the vehicle? What year is the vehicle?

Engine code/gearbox code can be found inside the first page of your service book or under the boot carpet on a sticker.
    2008 E92 BMW 335i M-sport
    1990 Golf GTi w/ a 20v heart BUILD THREAD
    Full VCDS

2006 A3 2.0T quattro S-line R.I.P. You will be missed.

** Breaking - 8L 1997 Audi A3 1.8T. **

Split Grill!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis583 View Post
    Nope, new/second hand shaft required I'm afraid. It appears to have sheared off at the circlip groove for some reason. I'm thinking the shaft could have possibly, as you said, become dislodged when the suspension was dismantled and caused more stress on the splined section and hence failed.

Forgive me if I've missed this but, What engine & gearbox is fitted to the vehicle? What year is the vehicle?

Engine code/gearbox code can be found inside the first page of your service book or under the boot carpet on a sticker.
    Either of these?

8P0 863 463 c 87A
    T55.5AAB.E87A

Its a 2005 2.0 FSI 3 door