Alarm Horn Issue

Aidy06

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi, upon scanning my car with VCDS I've found this fault...

01134 - Alarm Horn (H12)

Checked fuses and they all seem fine, checked alarm horn via output test in VCDS and no sound. I've enabled the chirp when I lock and unlock my car but they're really low volume, you can only just hear them so I'm guessing this is tied in with this fault. Question is has anybody had this problem before and managed to solve it? I know I'm looking at replacing the alarm horn but where is it and how easy/hard is it to change?

Thanks

Hi mate! the Alarm horn is behind the O\S wheel arch liner - so it does seem a little quiet at the best of times.

Have you tripped the Alarm (set with window down and wave arm inside after 1 minute) to see if it actually sounds?

Hi mate! the Alarm horn is behind the O\S wheel arch liner - so it does seem a little quiet at the best of times.

Have you tripped the Alarm (set with window down and wave arm inside after 1 minute) to see if it actually sounds?

Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes I have tried that and the alarm does not sound at all, I've done a few tests and I can't get the alarm to sound. Thinking it will need replacing but wouldn't know where to start

Connect it to your horn through a relay and diode and then youl be able it hear it if it ever goes off
Does that work with this car?

Did a similar mod on a previous car, but IIRC there was a post last year that claimed it wasn't possible on the A3??? :sos:

When the alarm is activated it will send a signal which used to go to the old beeper. Say that signal is only 5v. which isnt really enough for the horn. But if you send it to a relay it will act like a on off switch from the 12v from the battery direct to the horn.

And the diode will only allow the current to flow in 1 direction so when you press the horn under normal driving it will stop any from traveling back up the system.

Reactions: Aidy06
When the alarm is activated it will send a signal which used to go to the old beeper. Say that signal is only 5v. which isnt really enough for the horn. But if you send it to a relay it will act like a on off switch from the 12v from the battery direct to the horn.

And the diode will only allow the current to flow in 1 direction so when you press the horn under normal driving it will stop any from traveling back up the system.

Hmm, sounds interesting. Maybe something to look into if the actual alarm horn is to much hassle sorting out

Well either way you have to access the rear panel to get to the signal wire. But with the horn at least youl be able to here it. I used to park my car under my bedroom window and someone hit it one night and even with my windows open I still didn't wake up.