Aggghh!! HELP Cruise control (again)

davsmith64

Reaction score
Ok, Ive fitted a stalk & recoded the ecu & steering wheel., however the cruise control is still not working..
part numbers are,
Stalk - 8PO 963 613
Steering ECU - 1K0 953 549 AH

When i do tests in VAGCOM its showing all the functions are working on the stalk apart from the set button.

Anyone any Ideas?
Thanks
Dave

I think you use one of the other functions to Set. Have a play while you're driving.
I had one retro-fitted to my last car and it was the same!

Certain steering modules don't work as per the stalk labelling, so you need to either pull towards you or up to enable cruise, cant recall of top of my head as I don't tend to fit the older module types tbh.

Your steering module is totalling fine to work in the correct manner, have fitted many to the AH module and works correct.
Does the resume function record on VCDS when you pull the stalk forward?
You could have a faulty stalk.

Can you see the ECU cruise control byte bits changing when you operate the stalk?

ECU Measurement block 006 or near to that iirc

Ive tried pulling the stalk towards me and up. Tried it every way possible but still its not working. Dont get the cruise light on cluster either. But the stalk is from a earlier a3 8p (2003) my car is a 2007.

You have not answered my question mate, when you pull the stalk to the resume position, does it register in VCDS?

Also try, to recode the engine module again "11463". Once coding has been accepted, log out of the module, turn ignition off and take key out for "at least" 30 seconds and try again.

Last edited:
did the engine accept the cruise coding in the first place? also have you cleared all faults from the steering control module, the steering assist and the ABS module? i have found that can stop the cruise from activating when you code the engine.
dome loads of cruise installs and never had any fail on me

This was the same thing that happened to me afew weeks ago and it turned out to be what Danny recommended. Log in 11463 and then log out, switch off and shut down and then restart and bingo it worked so worth a try.

You have not answered my question mate, when you pull the stalk to the resume position, does it register in VCDS?

I answered the question in my first post.. everything registers apart from the SET button. I will try recode the engine again.

Yes all faults are cleared and the control unit accepted the coding. I just dont understand why its not working.

EDIT..
Recoded again as u said to try. Still not working. I disabled it and then enabled with 30 sec wait and controller closed each time

Last edited:
Ok. In group 006 measuring blocks (engine)
Stalk pushed back in off position - 00000000
Stalk pulled one notch to on - 10000001
Stalk pulled to resume - 10100001
Stalk pushed up - 10001001
Stalk pushed down - 10000101
Stalk to cancel position - 10000011
This is how the stalks registering.

Now the pedal monitoring

Car stood ticking over
no brake pressed - 00101000
Brake pressed - 00101011
Car hasnt got a clutch switch so nothing changes when clutch pressed.

I'm not and expert but what about the set button, on the end does that register?

I have the same steering module as you, with a newer stalk assembly, I don't know the part number. Dannykn9 fitted it for me.
Maybe the steering module is not backwards compatible with older stalks. Just a wild stab in the dark.

Last edited:

Now the pedal monitoring

Car stood ticking over
no brake pressed - 00101000
Brake pressed - 00101011
Car hasnt got a clutch switch so nothing changes when clutch pressed.

Sorry but all cars have a clutch switch - unless it's dsg (obviously ! )

All those measuring block codes appear ok for your stalk. The 1K0 module works differently and whilst you're driving you need to pull the stalk towards you and push down to set CC. The 'set' button does not work at all with your module.

The 1K0 module works differently and whilst you're driving you need to pull the stalk towards you and push down to set CC. The 'set' button does not work at all with your module.

Mike is this with the older style stalk?
As said I have a 1K0 module with a new stalk and the 'set' button works.

What suffix is your 1K0 module ?

Address 16: Steering wheel Labels: 1K0-953-549-MY8.lbl
Part No SW: 1K0 953 549 AH HW: 1K0 953 549 AH
Component: J0527 036 0070
Coding: 0000042
Shop #: WSC 06314 000 00000
VCID: 78F9B3140B3DAAD818B

No fault code found.

I had 1K0 module suffix AF before mfsw change to 8P0 suffix 'F'. Worked perfectly with alternative mode i.e. pull towards and down to set.

'SET' button did not work at all.

Maybe your stalk is not compatible with that steering module ( however I doubt it ) !!

Mike Coxy who I fitted cruise for has a 1K0 AH module which I believe is the only 1K0 module that works correctly with the cruise stalk. Trust me, I fitted many a many cruise jobs and many a times with a 1K0 AH module and have worked 100% of the time.

As the OP states the the resume registers properly, then in my eyes he has a faulty stalk, because the resume also works alternatively with other 1K0 modules.

The only difference with his stalk is purely the stalk diagram, nothing more.

Dave, do yourself a favour and take back the stalk where you got it, as 99% it is faulty.
You can also check the functions of the stalk in steering module 16, Measurung blocks, group 004.
check that one then report back, it will tell you exactly what is being activated when you play around with the stalk.

I would also check you haven't bent any pins when reassembling the parts, this has happened before to others & caused something's to cease functioning, speculative but one to check, as I've not had 1 faulty cruise stalk.

Very valued point Nige, and quite a possibility.

Reactions: NHN
Sorry but all cars have a clutch switch - unless it's dsg (obviously ! )

All those measuring block codes appear ok for your stalk. The 1K0 module works differently and whilst you're driving you need to pull the stalk towards you and push down to set CC. The 'set' button does not work at all with your module.

Sorry but u are 100% wrong.. the car doesn't have a clutch switch.. I gave already checked. Had all the panels off underneith the collumn. All it has is a hall sensor. Not a clutch switch. I'm a mechanic by trade and this is baffling me. Alao if u read further up, ive tried all combinations. stated above by another member, I may have a faulty stalk. Will check the measuring blocks in steering and report back. Thanks

I think you need to go back to basics & check each system starting from steering cu, fixings, connections, any bent pins, continuity on wiring & check all measuring values with vcds & possibly test on another a3 or grab other parts to test on your car, also that hall sender has been known to go faulty as per another member I advised about his & replaced which fixed the issues.

Right ok I have a feeling about something, but can you do as requested & test with measuring blocks if module 16 & 01 are seeing all the stalks functions, so on/off, resume, set, speed up/down, as this could go on forever without total clarification with these things 1st.

If its showing these changes in both modules including set function, then do this.

Disconnect battery for 2 minutes, reconnect, login to module 01, what is shown in the component field, is there a G or 2 G's?

If it has 1 or 2 G's, then go into coding II & type in the cruise deactivation code, make sure it is confirmed as a good login.

Then turn ignition of & take key out, wait 1 minute, don't do anything before this minute.

Then go into coding II & type in the cruise activation code, make sure it is confirmed as a good login.

Then turn ignition of & take key out, wait 1 minute, don't do anything before this minute.

Then test drive & see if cruise now works.

Helpful link:

Checking Cruise Control using Measuring Values - Ross-Tech Wiki