The S3 - I know I Know - But anynews ???

• Thread starter imported_S_Line
  • Start date
I

imported_S_Line

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif Any news on the S3 ?

Been away for a couple of months, has there been any fixed in writting or snippets of info on the new S3 yet ?

No, no, no.

Will have to wait for the release of the S8, then S6, then followed by the S3 for next November..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TDI/ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I spoke to a salesman at Glasgow Audi last week about the upcoming S3.

He said it would definetely be a 2.0T, but had no idea how much BHP it would have......

But I rekon he was just guessing...

Starts to make sence now with the 2.0 Turbo FSi engine as REVO have it up near 300 BHP now.

Cant see it going much more than that, will be interesting to see how it drives compared with a 3.2 V6 though...very interesting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So we back at Next November now ?

ive seen talk (on here) of the DSG on a S3 ? would Audi do that ? or would it be a option ?

I clearly recall reading, over a year ago now, about a new S3 and RS3. The S3 was supposed to be based on the 3.2 V6 incorporating new FSI technology and producing 280ps. The new RS3 was predicted to be a heavily reworked version of the 3.2 incorporating both FSI and turbocharger, giving an appreciable 100bhp hike over the current 3.2 to 350ps, for a power-to-weight ratio of 225bhp/tonne and a 0-60 time in the region of 5 secs.

[ QUOTE ]
I clearly recall reading, over a year ago now, about a new S3 and RS3. .....................

[/ QUOTE ]

And we're all still waiting! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

How far into the original A3 run was the S3 announced? Could be a similar timeframe here.

[ QUOTE ]
I clearly recall reading, over a year ago now, about a new S3 and RS3. The S3 was supposed to be based on the 3.2 V6 incorporating new FSI technology and producing 280ps. The new RS3 was predicted to be a heavily reworked version of the 3.2 incorporating both FSI and turbocharger, giving an appreciable 100bhp hike over the current 3.2 to 350ps, for a power-to-weight ratio of 225bhp/tonne and a 0-60 time in the region of 5 secs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol. This was printed in Autocar around November 2003. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Was it really that long ago, blimey /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. So facts have probably changed completely since then. And still no sign of it. Hope it takes another two years - then it'll be brand new when I come to change my current A3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gifheheh

[ QUOTE ]
I spoke to a salesman at Glasgow Audi last week about the upcoming S3.

He said it would definetely be a 2.0T, but had no idea how much BHP it would have......

But I rekon he was just guessing...

[/ QUOTE ]

The guy probably has no idea..period!

Nobody know, and thats even if there IS an S3!

I personally think this...

Because the 2.0 Turbo isnt far off the 3.2 V6 Power, what will happen is the 3.2 V6 will be Dropped.

You wont be able to buy one, then after about 6 - 8 months the New S3 2.0 Turbo FSi will enter the scene.

With a lovely new Facelift and a outstanding bodykit, people will forget about the 3.2 V6.
Second Hand value s of the 3.2 will hold strong for many years to come, and the owners of 3.2 V6 will be pleased they made the right choice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yes the New S3 may be a bit lighter and faster, but its TORQUE that Talks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif not a BHP reading at 8000 rpm ! LOL !

But what do you guys think, have a look into your crystal balls.......

I think we will have to wait, and then wait some more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But the S3 will have more torque than the 3.2 v6.

It's not far off now and if 2.0T is remapped are well upto 300 lb/ft.

The 3.2 is upto 236 lb/ft.....

So the 2.0t will torque more no?

Dave

[ QUOTE ]
One down, press , two to go. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Two down, press , one to go. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Second Hand value s of the 3.2 will hold strong for many years to come, and the owners of 3.2 V6 will be pleased they made the right choice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

But what do you guys think, have a look into your crystal balls.......

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah right! When petrol is £10 a gallon, it must have hurt when it was nudging £5?

I suspect that if many of the 3.2 drivers had sampled the 2.0TDi first they would have realised that outrageous fun can be pretty thrifty (fuel economy wise).

maybe if tdi drivers had sampled the 3.2 first, they would be prepared to pay the fuel costs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

seriously though, I don't think the price of fuel is at the top of any car manufacturers priority list, especially audi when you look at the RS4 and upcoming S models - if people want the best performance they are going to pay for it.

LOL...Nah had the R32 with the same engine/drive train and still bought the Tdi /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

18mpg was a killer but then again I do have very heavy feet, even the wife could only manage low 20's in it (sh can average over 50mpg in the Audi!)

J.

[ QUOTE ]
maybe if tdi drivers had sampled the 3.2 first, they would be prepared to pay the fuel costs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have driven a couple of 3.2s, and liked them both, the fuel economy is laughable though - a TDi with a remap would be hard to leave behind though.....

The handling and the MPG in the 3.2 is what made me sell it. Awesome traction and big torque was good but the S3 will deliver on both these fronts.

The S3 needs to ride a whole lot better than any of the current A3's to make it stand up, even against the R32. I'm sure it will if history is anything to go by.

same reason I got rid of my scoob, it was a thirsty b&**er! The TDi has similar real world driving and over double the MPG....

shame it doesnt rev though

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I did, for 10 months.

Then thought stuff this, and went diesel. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I did, for 10 months.

Then thought stuff this, and went diesel. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought stuff this, and went GTI DSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

he-he, I knew that would get a response!!!!

i do love the 3.2 though and am willing to put up with the mpg (which isn't much less than my old S3 managed) I do agree however that i dont think it will last long. whatever the new S3 is i just hope they hurry up with it, this wait is becoming just plain ridiculous!!!

IMO they'll make the same mistake as VW did with the R32, and bring it out right at the end of the models life, just as pictures start hitting the press of the All new A3 and TT Sport brake.

I drove the 3.2 and the 2.0T back to back, didn't like the way the 3.2 dsg had me in 6th at such low speeds, also the extra weight of the 3.2 was very noticeable over the front, and the fuel consumption????? that was just plain scary

[ QUOTE ]
I drove the 3.2 and the 2.0T back to back, didn't like the way the 3.2 dsg had me in 6th at such low speeds

[/ QUOTE ]

That happens regardless, D is optimised for maximum efficiency whatever lump you have under the bonnet. Put it in S and i't a different story! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I also drove the 3.2 and 2.0T in succession a few months back.

The 2.0T I thought was pretty nippy, but you had to rev it; just pootling around it didn't feel particularly special but opening it up out of a roundabout onto a good stretch of dual carriageway felt pretty good.

The 3.2 though was noticeably stronger. Even though the car was heavier (due I presume to bigger engine and quattro, the 2.0 was fwd only) throttle response was sharper, acceleration off the line was fab, and having bags of torque means it "feels" like its tugging at the reigns. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

It was more sure-footed when powering around roundabouts and flat out in 2nd, 3rd, 4th just swayed me away from the 2.0T.

I'm very glad I did to be honest, and being a 3.2 you can't really grumble about economy. If you want economy, go for a lower powered car or a deisel!

My Brother had a Boxster S a while back, and although the Porsche was a quicker car, it wasn't that much quicker; and if you want it, you can have the same thrill factor in the Audi, which is only hampered by its extra weight - but for the practicality and boot its worth the sacrifice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I do mostly in-traffic in-town driving, my daily commute from home to office being only 12 miles round trip. Consequently my mpg is hovering around the 21 mark. But its no big deal, if I had a much larger distance to commute I might have been more concerned with mpg and stuck with the 2.0 but it would probably still balance out the same so what the hell, I just drive it sensibly most of the time and enjoy the odd surge "where appropriate".

Before I decided on the A3 I also considered the RX-8, which apparently has, for not quite as good performance, an average mpg around 17-18, so I'm better off than I might have been... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

What it comes down to is whether you care or not.
I did, so it was an issue for me, if it's not an issue then it's a cracking motor, don't get me wrong!

I wish i didn't care about the MPG, then i'd have an R32 DSG, but at the moment i can get as much fun out of a GTI and still keep my shallow pockets sweet!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

and thats what i did ! LOL !

if fuel is £ 10 a gallon id still have my 3.2 the oil burners just dont provide the exhaust note /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif LOL !

any way isnt this thread about the S3 ? cant see it being a TDI can you ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

I also tried the 2.0 T Golf GTi and it had terrible throttle response /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/book.gif

FuelPrices.gif

I don't use the 3.2 on a daily commute though, its only used as a Thrash/Fun Car

so taking this into mind if i had to use it on a daily basis, it would be a TDi.

We all use our cars for different things. This is why i don't care how many miles to the gallon it does

I have just spoken to HR Owen (big Audi dealers in London) and they have confirmed to me that the new S3 will be available from end of next year.

They say it will be a 2.0 turbo, delivering 255 BHP (not much more than the 3.2 is it?)

They also said the new TT will be out roughly the same time.

maybe they are aiming at the Modding Scene ?

255 isn't very good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif