Playing Ipod through dock on S3

Mackie1990

Reaction score
I have a 57 plate S3 with RNS(i think) and an ipod dock in the glovebox.

when i plug my ipod into the dock i can control it through the headunit but it doesnt play the music through the car speakers, just through the phone.

can anyone help me as to why this is and how to fix it?

Thanks.

I know newer Iphones/Ipods had issues charging, but not audio playing, I wonder if you have a wiring issue or simply apple have now moved the audio paths to different pins or messed with IOS, are you pushing them into the adapter proper & also do they charge?

This was what some used to get charging on the older ipod docks like yours:

Scosche Passport Charging Adapter for the iPod Nano 4G: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

But, yours is an audio issue, that may have the charging problem aswell, but that's another thing to look at.

Ipone does not charge when connected to the dock. Only thing its does is allow you the play/pause and change the song on the iphone. It only plays the music through the iphone speakers and not the car speakers.

When you're playing music through the iPhone, make sure it is set to use the dock and not the iPhone. Should be a little square with a triangle in it.

Granter there isn't much room in the dock to check but I think that could be the issue...

Any 30-pin iPod or iPhone (including your 4s) will play audio through the RNS-E iPod dock. Do the check Cruiser 89 suggested and make sure the iPod/iPhone is securely docked. The pin/s that supply audio from the iPhone are to the left end of the connector (as you look at the face of the iPhone) and so, if the iPhone/iPod is skewed in the doc a little, it won't be able to route sound through the car.

Another good tip is to ensure the connector on the iPhone/iPod is clean. Over time, fluff and various other particulates build up in the connector which can cause one of those iPod cables that phsyical clips in to the device to get stuck. I fitted a Pioneer app radio to my old Mk4 Golf GTi a few months back and ended up with my iPhone attached to my car for four days, because I couldn't physically remove the cable! So watch out for that.
Use a toothbrush or wire brush to clean the connector. You may also wanna order an iPhone/iPod cable extension (male to female) off ebay for £3-4. It's a much more convenient way to connect the device, as yours will no doubt wriggle out of the dock when you go over bumps in the road, because you probably won't have a caddy to hold it in there nice and snug.

Hope this helps.

Should it automatically change from iphone to play through the dock? Or do you need to change something in the settings?

I know that when I have a Bluetooth headset connected to my iPhone, an icon appears to the right of the volume slider in the iPod app, that allows you to choose whether to route sound through the headset or the iPhone. The same is probably true for any connected device through which you would route sound externally. But I cannot verify this, as I've never owned a dock. Never the less, iOS on any iPod/iPhone/iPad will automatically switch to the external source once it's connected, so your problem is most likely that it is not connected correctly.

Managed to get my ipod playing. Iphone is still not working. Comes up with the yellow triangle with the exclamation mark in the middle.
Now the ipods working i'll just use that an keep updating it. Cheers for your help guys. Much appreciated.

Managed to get my ipod playing. Iphone is still not working. Comes up with the yellow triangle with the exclamation mark in the middle.
Now the ipods working i'll just use that an keep updating it. Cheers for your help guys. Much appreciated.

You can ignore the warning message. It simple highlights, albeit generally, that the connected device isn't compatible. This can be for various reasons. For example, in this case, it has detected that there is no power supplied by the connected device. It'll still be able to route sound through the car.

One of three things is most likely causing your issue...

1. Your phone's connector is clogged with gunk and is either...
a. Causing poor connectivity on the pins or
b. is so clogged that the male connector in the dock doesn't even fit in the female connector of the phone
2. Your phone isn't secure in the dock because of the lack/poor design of the Audi cradle for that device model
3. The male connector in the dock has become damaged. This is often caused by users either leaving a heavy device connected without a cradle thus, placing excessive leverage on the connector, pulling it down and breaking pins.

Just buy a 30-pin iPod extension lead from eBay. £4ish is worth it.

^^ Are you sure them extension cables carry audio signal? Ones I have researched do not carry audio

I bought this a couple of weeks back and can assure you that it handles audio just fine.