Monster MotorsportSky Insurance
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By tdi-man
  • 1 Post By @udi A3

Thread: 2.0 TDI 140, 54' A3 Start up woes, wont crank all the way.

Neutral

Status

2.0 TDI 140, 54' A3 Start up woes, wont crank all the way.

Hey guys, I have an intermittent problem. I went out to my car at 2.00PM earlier, lovely toasty weather, and turned the key in my car described in title as 2.0 TDI 140, 54' A3, it took me 4 turns of the key to start it, when its going its lovely no problems, for comparison I finished work at 8.30PM today, same day, and it started slightly on a longer crank, but first time.

The first 3 times though, feel like incomplete cranks, I turn the key all the way and it makes that typical start up fail crank noise we all know, then maybe it cranks a bit further the next time, on the 3rd it just cranks and immediately stops, then boom it starts fine on try number 4?

I'm no mechanic so this stuff is all a bit alien to me, I understand there's garages to see etc, but maybe someone has some ideas.

Thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

Reverse Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add Matt_Storm on Facebook
    I had this on the same car if there is lots of white smoke and chugging it could be a porous head otherwise check the fuel filter it may need changing.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Storm View Post
    I had this on the same car if there is lots of white smoke and chugging it could be a porous head otherwise check the fuel filter it may need changing.
    Is it only when hot or cold as it could be glow plugs, duff battery or coolant temp sensor if you could get a scan done that would point you in a direction

Neutral

Status
    Hi guys, as far as i can see and remember there has been no smokey issues, and weather wise, its hard to say as its an alien 24 degrees at the minute, I would say the car has probably been cool and done this too.

I shall look at getting a scan!

6th Gear

Status
    some A3 start better when cold then once warm will take a few cranks to turn that's how they work ...

mine did this so I had the hot start map put in car.. never missed a beat since.

but always change fuel filter ever 6 months any way. and use fuel cleaner ever now and then

get battery checked as well as timing
    Kieronboz likes this.
    Full Leather / heated Seats / 18" Speedlines / AP coilover kit / R32 Rear 310mm Brakes / window Tints / Auto lights / Xenons / Cruise control / R32 Front 345mm Brakes / Full milltek system / Led side lights / Bose / brushed aluminium inlays / panal filter / Full Egr delete / custom map with hot start fix / Hybrid Turbo / Sachs Racing clutch / 10mm Rear spacers / 10mm Front spacers / A5 LED number plate bulbs /

233 bhp - 309 ft lb - 419 nm

6th Gear

Status
    reading your description sounds like a flat battery/iffy starter / iffy wiring to the battery or starter. if the battery and starter were good it would crank over and over.
    Kieronboz likes this.
    '02 TDi 130 Sport: Mods to date: BXP 160 conversion, EGR delete, Decat, Helix SMF fast road clutch, 312mm front rotors, full DIS , CC, Xenons.
    VCDS fully registered and happy to help.
    *Need a Spare Key or Remote? SKC retrieval? Clock/ECU swap or milage correction? I am fully insured to work on your vehicle! Offering a good deal and quality service to ASN members Nationwide!*

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by @udi A3 View Post
    reading your description sounds like a flat battery/iffy starter / iffy wiring to the battery or starter. if the battery and starter were good it would crank over and over.
    i'd be checking these first too

The glow plugs won't actually work over 9deg C of the engine coolant temperature even though the light comes on for a few seconds.

I also have had the hot start map and have had no problems since but I don't think this is the cause of your problem, I'd say as above battery, starter and/or wiring

iirc they don't like starting below a cranking speed of approx 830rpm so all the above could play a part in this. The cranking speed can be checked with VCDS by measuring the engine speed whilst turning the key if you unplug the main big round wiring loom into the top of the engine (just behind the fuel lift pump) then remove the fault code that'll appear due to removing the loom!
    54 8P2 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI BKD - Shark stage 1 - EGR delete - Dolphin Grey