Volks AutosMonster Motorsport
Results 1 to 7 of 7
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hp88

Thread: Cam Belt, Tensioner... Water Pump?

  1. #1
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    25

    Cam Belt, Tensioner... Water Pump?

    Hello everyone

    Finally picked-up the A3 Sport yesterday and extremely happy with things so far... early days I know, but very impressed.

    The car's a '56 plate 2.0 Tdi 140 3-Dr Sport and I'm considering replacing the cam belt and associated bits. Just a few Q's...

    1) Is it safe to wait until the recommended 80k miles before replacing the belt and tensioner, or best to do it early?
    2) Does the water pump require replacement at the same time (Haynes manual makes reference ONLY to belt and tensioner)?
    3) Is it a DIY do-able job, or best left to the pro's? I did the CB on a Subaru Boxer 4-cyl a while back and that was a doddle.

    Any help/guidance greatly appreciated.

    Thanks.

    Mayhem

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    37
    37's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Area 51
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by A3_Mayhem View Post
    1) Is it safe to wait until the recommended 80k miles before replacing the belt and tensioner, or best to do it early?
    Though they can snap at any point, I would recommend changing it. On a different note, you could have asked for it to be changed prior to the purchase?

    Quote Originally Posted by A3_Mayhem View Post
    2) Does the water pump require replacement at the same time (Haynes manual makes reference ONLY to belt and tensioner)?
    Water Pump And tensioners all at the same time

  4. #3
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    161
    jumping in on this thread :D
    where to people go for their cambelt changing? got a quote from audi £439 but i know i could get it cheaper
    guessing this doesnt include water pump either

    any recommendations ?

  5. #4
    leeds2592's Avatar
    When I grow up, I want a 964!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    1,180

    My Social Networking

    Visit leeds2592's Instagram Channel
    Mine's 56 plate A3's currently on 73,000 miles and it's not been done. Trying to get the funds together to get it done ASAP, last thing I need is that bloody thing snapping.

    ENZO, I'm going to a VolksWorks in Leeds to get mine done as they gave me a decent price, can't remember it off the top of my head though.
    Black 2007 2.0 FSI Sport
    2011 Glossy Black RNS-E |AP Coilovers | 18" 7 Spoke OEM BE Alloy Wheels | H&R Trak+ Spacers 8mm (Front) 12mm (Rear) | MY11 Rear Lights | S Line Spoiler | Retrofitted MFSW | Retrofitted Cruise Control | Interior LED Light Pack | OEM LED Numberplate Bulbs

  6. #5
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    28
    Audi say change it every 5 years or at 75k miles, I had mine done at 48k due to the age. Get the water pump changed at the same time as it could save you money in the future.

    Quote Originally Posted by ENZO View Post
    jumping in on this thread :D
    where to people go for their cambelt changing? got a quote from audi £439 but i know i could get it cheaper
    guessing this doesnt include water pump either

    any recommendations ?
    I went to a VAG specialist, £350 for cam belt, water pump and coolant change.
    ENZO likes this.
    A3 2.0T Quattro S Line - BMW 320Cd M Sport

  7. #6
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by leeds2592 View Post
    Mine's 56 plate A3's currently on 73,000 miles and it's not been done. Trying to get the funds together to get it done ASAP, last thing I need is that bloody thing snapping.

    ENZO, I'm going to a VolksWorks in Leeds to get mine done as they gave me a decent price, can't remember it off the top of my head though.
    thanks ill check it out

    btw been to tony banks today, great service
    cost be £282 though but it was 3 hours work, replaced both flexi pipes.

  8. #7
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    25
    Thanks for the advice/guidance.

    I'll get the water pump changed at the same time... makes obvious sense. There's a VAG specialist close to me in Caldicot (SE Wales), who's got a solid reputation - I'll see what the cost is there.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Cam belt kit+water pump A4 B6 1.9 TDI AWX engine code.
    By lutek1000 in forum Parts Requests
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 9th June 2013, 21:37
  2. GENUINE CAM BELT KIT / WATER PUMP FOR SALE
    By tdi-man in forum For Sale/Wanted - Audi Cars
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 8th February 2013, 09:17
  3. Help plz had timing belt and water pump and tensioner done now no power!!!
    By ScottScodude30 in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 29th September 2012, 23:50
  4. £336 Cam belt and water pump change @ Grimsby Audi.
    By paul_r in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 18th November 2011, 00:06
  5. what Timing Belt,tensioner,water pump..
    By griffin1 in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 22nd June 2007, 22:23

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO