RNS-E DVD Read Error

rdfcpete

Reaction score
Been using the RNS-E (LED 2012) since January and the Nav has been faultless. The disc hasn't been removed from the drive since I placed it in the drive when the RNS arrived. It was an eBay purchase - Pic of the disc below.

Just this last month it's started to fail reading the disc and produces the below error. Often I'll take the disc out, clean it, put it back in, the RNS will cycle a few restarts and the nav returns to full function. Other times it will keep cycling then reproduce the error message, sometimes mid journey which is A PITA to say the least.

I even placed the DVD contents onto my SD card before I realised it only reads from the DVD (from what I've found).
I've also tried two copies of the dual layer DVD disc, both by friends with dual layer DVD's and the two copies failed to read too (perhaps because it's copy of a copy...). The data on the original disc can clearly be read as it sometimes reads in the RNS-E DVD drive.

Despite the fact I can recover the Nav operation now and again, I can't have anything less than 100% availability in the Nav.

What are my options?

Appreciate your pointers.

Thanks
Pete.

20130711_164901_zpscc6e879e.jpg

20130711_163944_zpsbc563c54.jpg

Might just need to clean the Laser buddy. Takes around 5mins! The laser is accessible by undoing the top cover from the RNSE (iirc there are 4-5 screws) remove the plastic cover over the laser and GENTLY clean it with a Slightly Moist cotton bud (the smallest amount of water known to man) - reassemble and see if it works.

I was getting the same error few months back - did the above and all sorted! Creds to NHN from a prev post! :)

Might just need to clean the Laser buddy. Takes around 5mins! The laser is accessible by undoing the top cover from the RNSE (iirc there are 4-5 screws) remove the plastic cover over the laser and GENTLY clean it with a Slightly Moist cotton bud (the smallest amount of water known to man) - reassemble and see if it works.

I was getting the same error few months back - did the above and all sorted! Creds to NHN from a prev post! :)

Thanks Reepers, I'll try this.

I got to the RNS-E top earlier and don't have a screw driver small enough, is a jewelers set needed?

Cheers
Pete.

Cheers for the post - my RNSE unit has been acting up recently too saying to insert a disc (mid navigation), not updating the time or miles left during nav, contact audi dealer etc...

Reactions: rdfcpete

lol - I keep getting to it, getting the unit out - then finding more screws and bottling it :haha:
Part of the reason is I've got bit of a gypo style Aux-in install where one of the clips on the quadlock broke, so Ive taped some wires back in - don't want to knock these!

Feels like a unit out altogether job so I'll do that at the weekend.

Any chance a cleaning disc will do the same thing, or not?

Thanks.

Gave the laser a clean with the cotton bud (didn't feel comfortable) then ran a laser cleaning disc through it.

Afterwards, it read the disc at first but paused and froze when trying to generate the first set of routes to an address in memory. It then failed to read the addresses from memory and on clicking display map, failed every time on each occasion.

No better off it seems, the skitzo-reboots started again too :sadlike::think:

It appears to read regular CD's happily.
The nav DVD I've got does seem to be scratched - clearly not enough to fail reading 100% of the time, but enough to fail after initial first reads :(

Obvious thing to try is a new Nav disc - where can I get one and how much?

Thanks.