Monster MotorsportAH Fabrications
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    18

    Advice on buying an Audi A3

    Hi there,

    New to the forum and not too much knowledge of cars. Im looking for tips on what to look out for/ask when buying an Audi A3

    Should the cambelt be changed after certain amount of miles etc?

    Its a 1.6 Petrol Special Edition 2004 3dr.

    I currently have a 1.9 Diesel Turbo Alfa Romeo. I only do 25 miles a day, 12.5 to work and back,so the petrol option for such a short distance each day maybe just as good as the diesel mileage which im reasonably happy with?

    Its listed for £4,500 but its a buyers market just now,so i was hoping to haggle to maybe £3,800. Being not to clued up on cars is £3,800 to low to offer,or no real right or wrong answer here? Its from a local garage.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    Sandra's Avatar
    MODERATOR

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    15,369
    Hi, welcome to audi-sport.net. Have a read of the faqs thread at the topof this section, lots of useful info in there. Enjoy the forum. x
    Audi-sport.net Lanyards & Stickers
    To find Audi-Sport-Net members with VCDS check out the MAP


  4. #3
    DomH's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    114
    I don't think there's a specific mileage for the belt on the 1.6, but if it hasn't been done in the past 8 years I would definitely get it done ASAP, I'm assuming it's the old 8v engine, so they are a doddle anyway!

    As for offering, just throw £3,800 at them, the worst they can say is no. If the belt hasn't been done then you've already got a couple of hundred quid to get them down from £4,500.

  5. #4
    G020G's Avatar
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    13
    Hey,

    What's the current mileage on the car? Check the usual details like last service and any repairs etc. and also might want to consider a 6 month/12 month warranty if its from a dealer just to be on the safe side (if your budget allows).

    The trick is to ask as many questions as you can and the more hiccups you come across the easier it becomes to get the price down.

    When I bought my A3 I took a mechanic along (a good friend who had done a lot of work on my dads/friends cars) and had him look at the car and test it and he raised a couple of issues with clutch etc. and expected life span and I was able to get about £300/400 off the asking price. Obviously this will only apply if the car has any issues at all but it is always good to get a second opinion from a professional especially if you are really attracted to the car - this I think sometimes blinds peoples' judgement but each to their own I guess.

    Good luck with the car and hope to see some pics etc. once purchased!

    G

  6. #5
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by G020G View Post
    Hey,

    What's the current mileage on the car? Check the usual details like last service and any repairs etc. and also might want to consider a 6 month/12 month warranty if its from a dealer just to be on the safe side (if your budget allows).

    The trick is to ask as many questions as you can and the more hiccups you come across the easier it becomes to get the price down.

    When I bought my A3 I took a mechanic along (a good friend who had done a lot of work on my dads/friends cars) and had him look at the car and test it and he raised a couple of issues with clutch etc. and expected life span and I was able to get about £300/400 off the asking price. Obviously this will only apply if the car has any issues at all but it is always good to get a second opinion from a professional especially if you are really attracted to the car - this I think sometimes blinds peoples' judgement but each to their own I guess.

    Good luck with the car and hope to see some pics etc. once purchased!

    G

    Hi thanks for the replies

    The car has done 73k miles, full service history. Comes with 1 month warranty, I know the guy through a friend which I suppose is something should there be any hiccups.


    Its quite a bulky car, is the 1.6 powerful enough to haul the car around an not guzzle petrol ?

  7. #6
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by PSDA3 View Post
    Its quite a bulky car, is the 1.6 powerful enough to haul the car around an not guzzle petrol ?
    1.6 does feel underpowered for the car, if fuel economy is your biggest drive you should seriously consider the 1.6 TDI..

  8. #7
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    18
    Hi mate, as the car is for work really an not much else, I'm not a driving connasuer, so I'm not overly fussed about speed an the over all feel, just as long as its not guzzling gas, I don't expect it to be a step above just as long for its size it's not known as a greedy car.

  9. #8
    G020G's Avatar
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandBE View Post
    1.6 does feel underpowered for the car, if fuel economy is your biggest drive you should seriously consider the 1.6 TDI..
    This is true, but I don't believe the 1.6 TDI is as good as the 1.4 TFSI - this is a great engine. You have enough punch for moderate power and excellent fuel economy - best of all from a petrol engine! (I'm not anti-diesel, just personal preference). Having said that, if the car you are looking at is a 1.6 - it'l hold enough to let you have a bit of fun

    I have a 1.8 TFSI and I have averaged around 38-42mpg casually driving around town/city (not even long haul journeys on the motorway) - so I think the 1.6 will give you some good fuel consumption.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. S3 buying advice needed for new audi owner please.
    By JJ.Foulds in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 9th March 2013, 10:13
  2. Advice Buying Used Audi A3
    By TheGame7 in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 9th March 2011, 16:56
  3. Need advice - buying an Audi soon
    By imraz in forum Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 17th February 2011, 20:07
  4. New to Audi, Wanting Advice on buying an S4 B5
    By a2k00 in forum A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 24th June 2010, 21:08
  5. About to buy 2002 Audi S3, need some advice!
    By W14FEN in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 14th September 2007, 21:03

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO