AH FabricationsChris Nott
Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By -Keith-
  • 1 Post By leeds2592

Thread: Agonizing over a purchase of an Audi A3...

  1. #1
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    31

    Agonizing over a purchase of an Audi A3...

    Hey folks - first post go easy!
    I have owned many VW group cars in the past, mainly SEAT's (2 x Ibiza Cupra MK3's 3 x Ibiza Cupra MK4's & 2 Leon's (FR 170 TDI & 2.0 FSI) as well as a Golf GTI MK5 and 2 MK4 Golf GTI's so you can see I enjoy the VAG range

    Anyway, I want an Audi, I have wanted one for ages, and as I prefer hatchbacks, the A3 is the one, in 5 door form, TDI 2.0 and manual only! I also prefer dark cars so black is the choice preferred!

    The only problem I am having is, I really want all the 'toys' ie the Sat Nav, heated seats, bigger wheels, nicer trim etc, and it leads me to basically the S-Line or the Black Edition - with the latter covering all bases & more... Except the worry.

    I don't want to be worrying every two seconds that someone will steal the car, there seemed to be a common theme of them being stolen (black editions mainly) a while back, whilst the MAJORITY of places I go are not areas to pose issues, it's still a worry if I go out one night to a restaurant and have to park in a multistory or something in a town center... So, ease my mind, shall I just give up the idea of owning a nice car or run that risk?

    In terms of alternative cars, i'd look at maybe a 320D which, look about as boring as they come in standard form, but even those probably are at risk of theft.

    It's a sad time in the world when you have to worry about a car purchase based on theft, and I am kinda shocked the A3 is such a target given how many other nice cars out there (mercs, bmw M sports, RS4's etc)

    Do you think the 'demand' for the cars will die down a bit now the newer model has come out?

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    Artimus's Avatar
    Short Back

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    1,631
    Hi mate, Welcome to the forum.

    Opinions will vary on the security side of things, but I think the main thing to consider is that ANY nice car is at risk of being stolen or broken into. Apparently BMW's are easier to steal than Audi's, so theft of the actual car is a relatively rare occurance, given the numbers out there. Also bear in mind the car can't be low-loaded in multi-stories & cant be started without a key. The usual target seems to be the RNS-E head units ...and theft of those seems to have past it's peak for now anyway. I had similar concerns about the HU when i wanted to upgrade my stereo & decided on a third party model instead! i don't regret that decision one bit! but I think as long as your aware of parking risks, you'll be fine.

    I say go for what you want! if you let thieving scum dictate what you can & can't own, you'll never own the car of your dreams.
    ................................................
    2009 A3 SB 2.0T DSG S line
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

  4. #3
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    31
    Hi thanks for the welcome, yeah I spotted the RNS-E on most of the cars i've been looking at, I wonder if it is the same in terms of 'desirability' as the RNS-510 was on the Golf & Leon, as I had that, yet never thought twice about people wanting it given you would need to take the dashboard covers off, unscrew it out etc
    I would probably say 90% of my journeys/locations would be to places where I wouldn't bat an eyelid or worry about it, it's only those random times if you drive to another part of the country for a few days or something, or services on the motorway but I see so many Audi's on the road, even white ones which stand out massively compared to black cars! It would be interesting to see how many Black editions are on the road in the UK vs how many are stolen.

  5. #4
    MrLapou's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lincoln
    Posts
    1,163
    If you are so worried about it been stolen, then do not buy. True satnav RNE systems are often stolen. I've even seen them removed for car in a garage forecourt. My car has most of the toys but not RNE which I never wanted anyway..
    Last edited by MrLapou; 9th July 2013 at 18:25.

  6. #5
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Plymouth
    Posts
    943
    Park next to something nicer than what you own, there's always something nicer in the car park.

  7. #6
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    West Country
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveyClark View Post
    Hey folks - first post go easy!

    I don't want to be worrying every two seconds that someone will steal the car, there seemed to be a common theme of them being stolen (black editions mainly) a while back, whilst the MAJORITY of places I go are not areas to pose issues, it's still a worry if I go out one night to a restaurant and have to park in a multistory or something in a town center... So, ease my mind, shall I just give up the idea of owning a nice car or run that risk?
    I hear this. My S3 hardly moves off of the drive because of my fear that some
    low life will damage it, steal it of steal from it. I've already taken the silver
    mirrors off of it and replaced them with colour matched ones because thanks to this forum
    I've become paranoid about them being ripped off the car. I've also had a different front
    grill with no S3 badge on it fitted and also debadged the rear.
    I've driven it about 15 miles in the last month and have done far more mileage in my
    crappy old renault kangoo van which is slow, noisy and a van because simply put I
    don't care ifsome one damages it, steals it (I should be so lucky) or steals from it.
    It's empty all the time,I NEVER leave tools on it.
    I have to say I was anxious enough about my car when I had a Skoda Fabia vRS
    and was very careful where I parked that and used it rarely but I've had the Audi since
    last October and I don't think I've done more than about 1000 miles in it.
    It's a shame the world is full of jealous scumbags or people who don't respect the property
    of others. My car might be less of a drive ornament and more of a car.
    I honestly clean it, park it and it's properly dirty from being parked before
    I even think about actually using it. Is it just me who's this bad?
    I don't even live in a rough area, my insurance came right down when I moved here
    from Romford Essex.
    2009 S3 3 door. Phantom Black metallic.
    RNS-E, Tints, Piano Black inlays, Auto Lights and Wipers, Bluetooth, MFBSW,
    White Alcantara, LED numberplate lights, Black Optic Grille, Yellow Foglamps,
    K&N panelfilter, Colourmatched mirrors, S3 footplate,
    More to come....

  8. #7
    Audi Newb - BMW Vet

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    69
    Hi and welcome Davey

    I can't believe you'd consider NOT owning a car because someone might steal it? That is quite a pescimistic mentality mate? That's like tainting the sweetness of life with the worry of getting ill or old!

    Life is much too short to worry about that stuff - you could be hit by a bus tomorrow. Buy the car you really want, enjoy it and savour it. If you were unlucky enough to have it stolen or broken into, that's what we all pay insurance for.
    PaulAr, Zak0123 and immo like this.

  9. #8
    Zak0123's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    444
    Quote Originally Posted by grr666 View Post
    I've driven it about 15 miles in the last month and have done far more mileage in my crappy old renault kangoo van...
    DUDE! I feel for the worry over the S3 but seriously!? ENJOY YOUR BABY!

    Quote Originally Posted by -Keith- View Post
    I can't believe you'd consider NOT owning a car because someone might steal it? That is quite a pescimistic mentality mate? That's like tainting the sweetness of life with the worry of getting ill or old!

    Life is much too short to worry about that stuff - you could be hit by a bus tomorrow. Buy the car you really want, enjoy it and savour it. If you were unlucky enough to have it stolen or broken into, that's what we all pay insurance for.
    +1!
    Brilliant Black 61 Plate A3 1.6 TDI

    Mods: S3 BE 5 Spoke Rotor Wheels with Goodyear EfficientGrip
    , AppRadio 2, 80% tints, Diamond Vision Headlights

  10. #9
    A3Kent's Avatar
    Different Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,026
    Quote Originally Posted by grr666 View Post
    I hear this. My S3 hardly moves off of the drive because of my fear that some
    low life will damage it, steal it of steal from it. I've already taken the silver
    mirrors off of it and replaced them with colour matched ones because thanks to this forum
    I've become paranoid about them being ripped off the car. I've also had a different front
    grill with no S3 badge on it fitted and also debadged the rear.
    I've driven it about 15 miles in the last month and have done far more mileage in my
    crappy old renault kangoo van which is slow, noisy and a van because simply put I
    don't care ifsome one damages it, steals it (I should be so lucky) or steals from it.
    It's empty all the time,I NEVER leave tools on it.
    I have to say I was anxious enough about my car when I had a Skoda Fabia vRS
    and was very careful where I parked that and used it rarely but I've had the Audi since
    last October and I don't think I've done more than about 1000 miles in it.
    It's a shame the world is full of jealous scumbags or people who don't respect the property
    of others. My car might be less of a drive ornament and more of a car.
    I honestly clean it, park it and it's properly dirty from being parked before
    I even think about actually using it. Is it just me who's this bad?
    I don't even live in a rough area, my insurance came right down when I moved here
    from Romford Essex.
    I understand your concerns but come on mate, what's the point in having it if it causes you that much bother. As others have said, use it and enjoy it.
    09 Audi A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-Line SB 8P3
    - Full Leather - LED DRL's - BOSE - Cruise Control - RNS-E Mk2 - AMI - Bluetooth - Folding Mirrors -

    VCDS owner - A3 Grille Install Guide

  11. #10
    leeds2592's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    1,004
    Quote Originally Posted by -Keith- View Post
    Life is much too short to worry about that stuff - you could be hit by a bus tomorrow. Buy the car you really want, enjoy it and savour it. If you were unlucky enough to have it stolen or broken into, that's what we all pay insurance for.
    Hit the nail on the head there.

    If we worried about everything like this, we'd never have nice stuff.
    Zak0123 likes this.
    Black 2007 2.0 FSI Sport
    2011 Glossy Black RNS-E |AP Coilovers | 18" 7 Spoke OEM BE Alloy Wheels | H&R Trak+ Spacers 8mm (Front) 12mm (Rear) | MY11 Rear Lights | S Line Spoiler | Retrofitted MFSW | Retrofitted Cruise Control | Interior LED Light Pack | OEM LED Numberplate Bulbs

  12. #11
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    31
    Thanks guys a lot of good comments here, I guess if it came with a RNS-E I could always sell it, as I don't really like inbuilt nav systems and i'd quite like DAB so would probably go for an aftermarket stereo with DAB capability.

    So asides from the RNS-E what else makes the black edition so 'stealable' The rotor wheels? As some of the earlier models had normal S-Line wheels but blacked out if I remember right?

  13. #12
    leeds2592's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    1,004
    RNS-E's aren't cheap either so you'll get a decent amount for that.

    Rotors seem to be a thing that theives go for due to the price they can be sold at as they aren't cheap either. I can remember a thread on here where a lad had left his BE in a works car park over night, and he came back the next day to find his car on bricks and rotors gone!

    The earlier BE's had the wheels in my sig.
    Black 2007 2.0 FSI Sport
    2011 Glossy Black RNS-E |AP Coilovers | 18" 7 Spoke OEM BE Alloy Wheels | H&R Trak+ Spacers 8mm (Front) 12mm (Rear) | MY11 Rear Lights | S Line Spoiler | Retrofitted MFSW | Retrofitted Cruise Control | Interior LED Light Pack | OEM LED Numberplate Bulbs

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Considering the purchase of an Audi A3 - your thoughts?
    By Mark Goodwin in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 9th October 2012, 09:43
  2. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 20th June 2012, 19:00
  3. need help. purchased a 2002 audi a4 1.8t quattro and don.t know what stage it is
    By axmarque in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 23rd January 2011, 18:09
  4. Pics of my latest purchase - Audi 80 Sport
    By Donald_MacIver in forum General Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 25th November 2006, 16:35
  5. First pics of my latest purchase - a 1990 Audi 80 Sport
    By Donald_MacIver in forum Classic Audi Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 17th November 2006, 15:02

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO