Badger5Monster Motorsport
Like Tree8Likes
  • 5 Post By S3Alex
  • 1 Post By S3Alex
  • 1 Post By Sevv
  • 1 Post By leeds2592

Thread: TO MOD OR NOT TO MOD (2.0 TSFI)?

Reverse Gear

Status

TO MOD OR NOT TO MOD (2.0 TSFI)?

Hi

Just a quick question"To mod or not to mod?
    whats your thoughts?
    Is it that bad to keep the 2.0 TFSI standard?

2. # ADS
    ADS

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ANTWAR72 View Post
    Hi

Just a quick question"To mod or not to mod?
    whats your thoughts?
    Is it that bad to keep the 2.0 TFSI standard?
    It's probably not a good idea to take any advice from me!

Shark Performance In Scotland

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Brodster On Twitter Add Brodster on Facebook
    Get it modded. Remapping it is such a good idea and transforms the car. Peruse thro the forum and get some info/gen on what to do and I would start saving now .........mwoooaahhhhh!!!!!
    Angelwax/BBS/BCS/Bilstein/Cobra/CTS Turbo/DTUK/H&R/K-Sport/KW/Loba/Milltek/Shark Performance/Oz Racing/TPI/VCDS/V-Maxx/Vossen/Wagner

Waiting on the Haynes Manual

Status
    I have my 1.6 Almost a month now. I absolutely love the Car, but its a base model and I just can't leave it alone... Got A No Smoking Pack, An Armrest and Just Got an Ambient Light / Map Reading upgrade off another member.

Depends on how your car is now. And How much money you're willing to put into it...

2.0 TFSI is definitely a step up from mine. Why don't you put up some pics??

I'm sure the regulars like S3Alex, NHN and N8 Will have some suggestions...

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodster View Post
    Get it modded. Remapping it is such a good idea and transforms the car. Peruse thro the forum and get some info/gen on what to do and I would start saving now .........mwoooaahhhhh!!!!!
    Brodster summed it up for me.

It really does transform the car, makes it come alive.

I have remapped my previous 2 cars, A3 1.8T and Mk2 Leon Cupra - the difference on them both was dramatic and they were both only stage 1 tunes.

Do it, just go with someone reputable for the engine
    Dean.

Rarely neutral

Status
    I could give you plenty of ideas but as everyone's said,a remap really changes the car and makes it MUCH better.

1st Gear

Status
    Mine was stage 2+ and honestly it was too fast. It was s-tronic though so gearchanges were near instant... by too fast I mean I would look down and be doing 120 when I wanted to be doing 80...
    2008 A3 1.8t FSI Sportback S-Line - Avus Silver - Full spec.

Pushing the limits..

Status

My Social Networking

Add Sevv on Facebook
    could do loads mate... depends what are you after to like the thrill of speed and a torquey car or your drive like a grandma lol its your call...

but what you can do is this.... bigger turbo maybe K04 for go hybrid if you want 400-600 HP bigger injector S3 or Rs4 , get a THS or S3 intercooler, Map, full milltek TBE if running K04 .. and probably a clutch LPFP and HPFP upgrade then you'll be smiling, get some Kw suspension or bilstein ; rebush the car and maybe even get some RS4/3 BBK

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmileyone View Post
    Mine was stage 2+ and honestly it was too fast.
    It can never be too fast
    2010 TT RS - Sepang Blue - MRC 420BHP, 600NM

2010 Stage 2+ S-Tronic S3 BE SB in Ibis White!! ....... SOLD

VAG Junkie

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3Alex View Post
    It's probably not a good idea to take any advice from me!
    Certainly not a good idea to take advice from Alex!!! Then again, probably not a good idea to ask most people on here!!

My response would to mod it of course!!! But be prepared to become addicted to throwing money at it in the pursuit of perfection!
    Current - Ibis White S3 with added LOBA,Sachs,AutoTech,Custom Map,Recaro,ITG,Eibach,3SDM,Milltek flavourings.
    Ex Ibiza Cupra R, Mk1 Leon Cupra R, Mk V Golf GTi, Mk2 Leon Cupra K1 and B7 Audi RS4 Owner!

Pushing the limits..

Status

My Social Networking

Add Sevv on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by NobberUK View Post
    Certainly not a good idea to take advice from Alex!!! Then again, probably not a good idea to ask most people on here!!

My response would to mod it of course!!! But be prepared to become addicted to throwing money at it in the pursuit of perfection!
    ah you can say that again i think the MOTO of this Forum should be " In Pursuit of Perfection; the never ending goal"

most people on this forum will mod there car be it performance wise or cosmetic.
    kanecullen89 likes this.

S3 (8P)

Status
    Had a MK5 Golf with this engine in and it responded superbly to a Stage 1 map.
    Its almost a waste to run one of these standard.

Do it.

Then save for a clutch....
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

When I grow up, I want a 964!

Status

My Social Networking

Visit leeds2592's Instagram Channel
    Could always run it as standard until you get bored of the power, then go Stage 1.
    ANTWAR72 likes this.
    Black 2007 2.0 FSI Sport
    2011 Glossy Black RNS-E |AP Coilovers | 18" 7 Spoke OEM BE Alloy Wheels | H&R Trak+ Spacers 8mm (Front) 12mm (Rear) | MY11 Rear Lights | S Line Spoiler | Retrofitted MFSW | Retrofitted Cruise Control | Interior LED Light Pack | OEM LED Numberplate Bulbs

3rd Gear

Status
    Never had issues with the clutch with mine on stage one and that was a quattro and they take a bit more getting moving depending if yours if 2 or 4 wheel drive,get it remapped,make sure it has revised diverter on it,then go for a good intake do it stage by stage when you have the money,if then its still not quick enough as mentioned ko4 turbo conversion and then and then and then and then ££££££££££££ and then S3 then start again

Phantom Black S3,Giac stg 1,Evoms intake,Lamin-x
    (to do list,update signature pic)

2nd Gear

Status
    had ma s3 a year and been happy with it thinking of trading as police like pulling me (24 yearold in east end of glasgow with an s3 usually a drug dealer haha) but since joining this forum im thinking of modding and keeping it longer till i get a driving ban haaa itching to mod personally aswell! damn forum...

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks all who took time to reply,forgot to say it has DSG so thinking to upgrade that also!!
    Decisions,decisions!Car currently has 52000 on her i bought it with 50000 fsh but 1 owner from new and she was 64 year old!

5th Gear

Status
    n00b here. for a K04 upgrade, is it just a matter of swapping the turbo and getting a new map? or it is wey more complicated lol.

thanks,
    jj

JPK
    1st Gear

Status
    Bit more to it than that. Need s3/TTS injectors, upgraded hpfp, DV relocate kit and different turbo outlet pipe also. Should also get a bigger or S3 intercooler, downpipe and intake to get the most from it.

Most people just get an S3 if they currently have an A3
    2005 A3 2.0T DSG Oettinger Body Styling, 19" RS5 Reps, APR Stage 1, Forge Twintake, Remus catback, BSH PCV Fix, 034 Motorsport Mounts, WALK, Whiteline bushings (F&R), Whiteline RSB, Whiteline BSK, Whiteline adjustable end links, H&R Sport Cup Kit, Stoptech Drilled Rotors, Hawk Pads, Tyrolsport stainless lines, Tyrolsport Calliper bushings, Tyrolsport DeadSet Subframe kit.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JPK View Post
    Bit more to it than that. Need s3/TTS injectors, upgraded hpfp, DV relocate kit and different turbo outlet pipe also. Should also get a bigger or S3 intercooler, downpipe and intake to get the most from it.

Most people just get an S3 if they currently have an A3
    Swapping to an S3 with be at least 3 times the price of my Cheapy A3. And my student loan aint gonna cover that!

Getting a ko4 fitted on my A3 would be nower near that cost. and i'd always have the addons to sell (hpfp, intake, injectors.) if wanted, also insurance would be cheaper still! lol

^ my reasons not to get an S3 :P
    05, A3 8P 2.0TFSI Quattro

Pushing the limits..

Status

My Social Networking

Add Sevv on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ.Foulds View Post
    Swapping to an S3 with be at least 3 times the price of my Cheapy A3. And my student loan aint gonna cover that!

Getting a ko4 fitted on my A3 would be nower near that cost. and i'd always have the addons to sell (hpfp, intake, injectors.) if wanted, also insurance would be cheaper still! lol

^ my reasons not to get an S3 :P

as said earlier JJ you need

stg 2+ map
    k04
    s3/rs3 injectors
    if ur tight on cash you could always do the DP and 200 cell cat then go for the cat back
    get a S3 or THS FMIC
    and a loba or autotech pump should be fine.. it isnt much of a big job thinking about it but you will need a gd clutch to compliment the power oull get 380-400hp on your engine wouldnt go more or you risk loosing the rods.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevv View Post
    as said earlier JJ you need

stg 2+ map
    k04
    s3/rs3 injectors
    if ur tight on cash you could always do the DP and 200 cell cat then go for the cat back
    get a S3 or THS FMIC
    and a loba or autotech pump should be fine.. it isnt much of a big job thinking about it but you will need a gd clutch to compliment the power oull get 380-400hp on your engine wouldnt go more or you risk loosing the rods.
    Well id like to go BT in the future so would be planning ahead.

However you mention the rods... on the revo website for the K04 AND big turbo, it doesnt say anything about changing internals.
    I was a bit concerned about it, but was just taking their word for it. but always slightly sceptical about it being only an A3.

Maybe i need a few peoples opinions on this against revos opinions! aha

Rarely neutral

Status
    Well id like to go BT in the future so would be planning ahead.

However you mention the rods... on the revo website for the K04 AND big turbo, it doesnt say anything about changing internals.
    I was a bit concerned about it, but was just taking their word for it. but always slightly sceptical about it being only an A3.

Maybe i need a few peoples opinions on this against revos opinions! aha
    A lot of the information on the site is aimed at the S3.

The A3 2.0TFSi's rods are not as tough as the S3's rods,which are good for around 440lbs,where the A3's will not take as much,and I think Sevv's advice is very sound,especially with a BT kit in mind,as you would need those in any case.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3Alex View Post
    A lot of the information on the site is aimed at the S3.

The A3 2.0TFSi's rods are not as tough as the S3's rods,which are good for around 440lbs,where the A3's will not take as much,and I think Sevv's advice is very sound,especially with a BT kit in mind,as you would need those in any case.
    Right cheers for that, so basically Rods are going to be a must (whatever they are).

Wondering why it doesnt mention this on the revo site tbh :/ a bit odd really.

Ahh rods are on the pistons! does this mean i would just replace the whole piston rather than just the rod? and would at this point, i mayaswell do the other weak areas aswell so it can like rev up to 8k? etc.
    Last edited by JJ.Foulds; 25th December 2013 at 21:14. Reason: Learning!

Pushing the limits..

Status

My Social Networking

Add Sevv on Facebook
    Right cheers for that, so basically Rods are going to be a must (whatever they are).

Wondering why it doesnt mention this on the revo site tbh :/ a bit odd really.

Ahh rods are on the pistons! does this mean i would just replace the whole piston rather than just the rod? and would at this point, i mayaswell do the other weak areas aswell so it can like rev up to 8k? etc.
    Rods are connected by wrist pins to the piston, and if you got say GTX3070 or76 then JE pistons or any same spec would be advised with a lower compression ration so the car doesnt run hot , i just got 9.5 comp ration piston for the 3076 along with rods calico coated bearing and rod bearings, i would also advise getting a ferrea valve train kit, as with the BT it spools at around 3.5k rpm or so all the way to the 8K mark if you dont want the springs and valve to blow i would consider changing them, and i would personally get a girdle kit, as the engine will twist unfortunately under a 3076,

it would also be advisable to get a LSD , strengthen the bearing , and selector forks at the minimum, getting uprated synchros would be ACE.. and trust me mate im going through all that now and its NOT cheap AT ALL. albeit .. if you wanna go BT but want the cheaper alternative for now get the K04 with only the DP and 200 cell cat(as you'll have to sell them if going BT).. the FMIC, LPFP, HPFP, and RS4 injectors ( you can keep for the BT build, so that saves you over £1000, along with a loba clutch.

must say its nice to aspire BT , but the few people that have done it/ doing it they will tell you the headache associated with BT's haha ( though i must stress im sure they are fun/ or will be in my case)

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevv View Post
    Rods are connected by wrist pins to the piston, and if you got say GTX3070 or76 then JE pistons or any same spec would be advised with a lower compression ration so the car doesnt run hot , i just got 9.5 comp ration piston for the 3076 along with rods calico coated bearing and rod bearings, i would also advise getting a ferrea valve train kit, as with the BT it spools at around 3.5k rpm or so all the way to the 8K mark if you dont want the springs and valve to blow i would consider changing them, and i would personally get a girdle kit, as the engine will twist unfortunately under a 3076,

it would also be advisable to get a LSD , strengthen the bearing , and selector forks at the minimum, getting uprated synchros would be ACE.. and trust me mate im going through all that now and its NOT cheap AT ALL. albeit .. if you wanna go BT but want the cheaper alternative for now get the K04 with only the DP and 200 cell cat(as you'll have to sell them if going BT).. the FMIC, LPFP, HPFP, and RS4 injectors ( you can keep for the BT build, so that saves you over £1000, along with a loba clutch.

must say its nice to aspire BT , but the few people that have done it/ doing it they will tell you the headache associated with BT's haha ( though i must stress im sure they are fun/ or will be in my case)
    Yes will aim to get the bigger injectors and stage 3 clutch ready for future, but im wondering if i can just buy the big turbo say 3071 (like on revo site) but just run it at like say 350bhp, is there any downsides to this? except obviously having the spool time of a BT there went i could just have a k04?

Im just thinking save a bit of hastle with skipping the k04.

Cheers for the info tho!

Pushing the limits..

Status

My Social Networking

Add Sevv on Facebook
    Yes will aim to get the bigger injectors and stage 3 clutch ready for future, but im wondering if i can just buy the big turbo say 3071 (like on revo site) but just run it at like say 350bhp, is there any downsides to this? except obviously having the spool time of a BT there went i could just have a k04?

Im just thinking save a bit of hastle with skipping the k04.

Cheers for the info tho!

It is possible to do it, you need a custom map, and the same mods for the k04, and the kit i would advise you though to get the GTX the 3071 i would say would spool 2-300 rpm lower then a 3076 if not mistaken, the engine shouldnt run hot, and i cant see at 350hp the gear shredding itself , though the only problem i may see if you rev over the 6-6.5k mark is the valve train i wouldnt rev it past that , at all as the risk becomes great so if your is a manual you can control the revs easily ..

thats the kit btw, if you want to get it i would suggest ceramic coating the DP and the exhaust manifold and extrude hone it so it can flow better if you want to build it up properly the ATP kit has the worst flow rates so i would stick to the CTS one as its the best one at the moment on the market , i know integrated engineering is comming up with a kit which would eliminate all those issues and you also have forced feed engineering which has a titanium tubular manifold (top mount) but that involves allot of custom work to the waste gate pipe, DP and CAI

CTS Turbo Golf R 2.0 TFSI Turbo Kit

http://store.forcefedengineering.com...opmount_2%2E0T

2nd Gear

Status
    just to answer the original post....MOD !!