What would you do in this situation?

Tommy53

Reaction score
Hello all,

Only bought the car a few months ago and its fair to say i have bought an absolute nail of a car.

The problems i have are: Turbo whine (turbo shaft has play in it) and im losing coolant. After a pressure test the guy says hes 90% sure its not a prous head as theyre unlikely but the head gasket. However on my 53 plate i have heard that 90% of them crack. I just dont know if hes just trying to get the buisness.

So the turbo will cost me about £600 with the part and fitting. Then the head gasket will get about 700 he said and that includes the skimming of the head and to have the head tested. Overall about 1300-1400. The other worry would be that he comes back to me and says the heads cracked, as i believe that would cost another 600 atleast? so by which point i would be in the £2000 mark.

Just to top off my worries.. when i put my foot on the clutch sometimes i hear a sort of clicking noise (hard to explain) and if that was the flyweel or something thatd cost even more!!!

Now to me that is a lot of money, especially when i only paid £2500 for the car.

If this was you what would you do?

Get rid and maybe start again or fix it?

sell it on

I have some matches if that helps
i would buy a new engine with a turbo and change the clutch and possibly the flywheel if you intend to keep it
but it sounds like you have spent money so far so its maybe time to cut your losses.

Contact consumer advice. They will help you get your money back or make the dealer pay for the repairs

it was a private sale off someone I know :/ does this still work as he said he sold it spot on to me and I've got a reciept

A private sale means the chances of repair at their expense is practically impossible, but tell him to come on the forum and see for himself that the porous head issue IS a very common problem on the BKD engine 2.0tdi between 2003-03 and2005-54, and even the ones after that upto 2006-7 had a handful of porous head issues.

don't get the head skimmed, a complete head replacement is the only reliable cure, if you can find a new one (C-prefix, yours will be A-prefix) and can still get all the work done for around £2000 (including the other stuff you mentioned, turbo and such), then you'll have a bullet-proof one for a total of £4500, which doesn't sound as bad lookin at it that way

I had a C prefix head and mine cracked best to buy new if your keeping car