JMB RetrofitsMonster Motorsport
    1st Gear

Status

What would you do in this situation?

Hello all,

Only bought the car a few months ago and its fair to say i have bought an absolute nail of a car.

The problems i have are: Turbo whine (turbo shaft has play in it) and im losing coolant. After a pressure test the guy says hes 90% sure its not a prous head as theyre unlikely but the head gasket. However on my 53 plate i have heard that 90% of them crack. I just dont know if hes just trying to get the buisness.

So the turbo will cost me about £600 with the part and fitting. Then the head gasket will get about 700 he said and that includes the skimming of the head and to have the head tested. Overall about 1300-1400. The other worry would be that he comes back to me and says the heads cracked, as i believe that would cost another 600 atleast? so by which point i would be in the £2000 mark.

Just to top off my worries.. when i put my foot on the clutch sometimes i hear a sort of clicking noise (hard to explain) and if that was the flyweel or something thatd cost even more!!!

Now to me that is a lot of money, especially when i only paid £2500 for the car.

If this was you what would you do?

Get rid and maybe start again or fix it?
    2003/2004 Audi A3 2.0 TDi Sport

2. # ADS
    ADS

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    sell it on

3rd Gear

Status
    I have some matches if that helps
    i would buy a new engine with a turbo and change the clutch and possibly the flywheel if you intend to keep it
    but it sounds like you have spent money so far so its maybe time to cut your losses.

1st Gear

Status
    Contact consumer advice. They will help you get your money back or make the dealer pay for the repairs

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_c99 View Post
    Contact consumer advice. They will help you get your money back or make the dealer pay for the repairs
    it was a private sale off someone I know :/ does this still work as he said he sold it spot on to me and I've got a reciept
    2003/2004 Audi A3 2.0 TDi Sport

Drive safe, stay alive.

Status
    just sell it on to webuyanycar
    Current: 8P3 '59 2.0 TFSI 3DR S-Line | Adaptive Bixenons with DLR's | Folding electric mirrors | Heated half leathers |
    Previous : '06 2.0 TDi Sportback in Dolphin Grey| SE | DSG | Satnav | Privacy glass | auto lights | comfort pack |

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sliced View Post
    just sell it on to webuyanycar
    Or you could go to a small claims court if you don't have any luck pull his teeth put with rusty pliers

1st Gear

Status
    A private sale means the chances of repair at their expense is practically impossible, but tell him to come on the forum and see for himself that the porous head issue IS a very common problem on the BKD engine 2.0tdi between 2003-03 and2005-54, and even the ones after that upto 2006-7 had a handful of porous head issues.

don't get the head skimmed, a complete head replacement is the only reliable cure, if you can find a new one (C-prefix, yours will be A-prefix) and can still get all the work done for around £2000 (including the other stuff you mentioned, turbo and such), then you'll have a bullet-proof one for a total of £4500, which doesn't sound as bad lookin at it that way

6th Gear

Status
    I had a C prefix head and mine cracked best to buy new if your keeping car
    Full Leather / heated Seats / 18" Speedlines / AP coilover kit / R32 Rear 310mm Brakes / window Tints / Auto lights / Xenons / Cruise control / R32 Front 345mm Brakes / Full milltek system / Led side lights / Bose / brushed aluminium inlays / panal filter / Full Egr delete / custom map with hot start fix / Hybrid Turbo / Sachs Racing clutch / 10mm Rear spacers / 10mm Front spacers / A5 LED number plate bulbs /

233 bhp - 309 ft lb - 419 nm (NEEDS A NEW MAP)