1.6L to a 2.0L (Petrol)

tally2425

Reaction score
I was looking at getting a 1.6L Petrol but i'm struggling to find one but i'm finding loads of 2.0L about, Main reason i wanted a 1.6L was because of the petrol prices and would be cheaper in a 1.6 and would last longer, Could anyone tell if you can see a difference between 1.6L and a 2.0L petrol wise?

Is the mpg actually that much better with a 1.6? I know with the diesels some people have commented that the 1.6 has to work harder than the 2.0 so doesn't actually save you any fuel, maybe this is the same case with the petrols. I remember back in the Sierra days, the 2.0 was better on fuel than the smaller engines because it didn't need to work as hard.
Have a look on the Parkers Guide website for the facts and figures. They might not be 100% accurate, but they give a good reference point.

That might not be the case with the A3, it's just a suggestion and something to consider.

Is the mpg actually that much better with a 1.6? I know with the diesels some people have commented that the 1.6 has to work harder than the 2.0 so doesn't actually save you any fuel, maybe this is the same case with the petrols. I remember back in the Sierra days, the 2.0 was better on fuel than the smaller engines because it didn't need to work as hard.
Have a look on the Parkers Guide website for the facts and figures. They might not be 100% accurate, but they give a good reference point.

That might not be the case with the A3, it's just a suggestion and something to consider.

I had a look on parkers guide and there's hardly any difference between the MPG but didn't know if it was correct, I just wanted confirmation from someone that may have had both.

Then again Parkers can't be that far out!

I have driven both 1.6 (my own) and 2.0 (brothers)

City driving: 38/42mpg (1.6) and 32/36 on the 2.0

Motorways: 50/58 (1.6) and 50 (2.0)

These are the closest I could remember when driven both of them, hope it helps.

I have calculated and whether I drive the 1.6 or 2.0 the fuel difference annually is about £200/300 max lol so not a lot difference, if you could, do get the 2.0 as my 1.6 is sluggish on acceleration and just doesn't drive as well.

Main reason I got the 1.6 is due to age and insurance really!

Last edited:
I have driven both 1.6 (my own) and 2.0 (brothers)

City driving: 38/42mpg (1.6) and 32/36 on the 2.0

Motorways: 50/58 (1.6) and 50 (2.0)

These are the closest I could remember when driven both of them, hope it helps.

I have calculated and whether I drive the 1.6 or 2.0 the fuel difference annually is about £200/300 max lol so not a lot difference, if you could, do get the 2.0 as my 1.6 is sluggish on acceleration and just doesn't drive as well.

Main reason I got the 1.6 is due to age and insurance really!

Just the reply i was looking for!, really has helped me as with them figures there isn't really much difference between them.

It's like i'll end up getting a 2.0 :p

Are you talking about the 150 fsi or the 200 t fsi?

Just the reply i was looking for!, really has helped me as with them figures there isn't really much difference between them.

It's like i'll end up getting a 2.0 :p

Well yh, because if your after economy go for diesels they will do 50-70mpg, if not just like how everybody else say it the smaller the engine the harder it has to work and plus with the 2.0 or at least 1.8 tfsi you could do remaps and gain a lot of difference but when it comes down to the 1.6 no room for remaps.