AH FabricationsVolks Autos
    F2
    Reverse Gear

Status

Concert double din radios retrofit

I'm currently ripping out my single din radio, climate control and cage assembly in my 2006 A3 s-line, to replace it with a double din cage assembly ready to receive a rns-e later in the year... (Probably my Xmas present to myself!) so, in the meantime, I am looking to put a double din concert radio in the large gap! I have been looking on ebay for a used one to come up, but they all seem to say 2007 onwards? Is it not just as simple as a straight swap, single din for double din? Also is it easy to get a radio code for a second hand set? Is this something I can do with vcds?

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    I think the only difference is that the later models need a quadlock adaptor. Code is dealer only, and hard to get! Don't buy one without it....

A board member is selling this;-

Genuine Audi RNS-E and Antenna and 2012 disc. | eBay
    Last edited by fangio; 5th July 2013 at 09:24.

JPK
    1st Gear

Status
    Rnse uses your existing antenna amplifiers. Double din concert uses a different type again, so you would have to swap out twice.
    2005 A3 2.0T DSG Oettinger Body Styling, 19" RS5 Reps, APR Stage 1, Forge Twintake, Remus catback, BSH PCV Fix, 034 Motorsport Mounts, WALK, Whiteline bushings (F&R), Whiteline RSB, Whiteline BSK, Whiteline adjustable end links, H&R Sport Cup Kit, Stoptech Drilled Rotors, Hawk Pads, Tyrolsport stainless lines, Tyrolsport Calliper bushings, Tyrolsport DeadSet Subframe kit.

JPK
    1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by fangio View Post
    I think the only difference is that the later models need a quadlock adaptor. Code is dealer only, and hard to get! Don't buy one without it....

A board member is selling this;-

Genuine Audi RNS-E and Antenna and 2012 disc. | eBay
    Does the double din concert need an aerial adaptor also?
    2005 A3 2.0T DSG Oettinger Body Styling, 19" RS5 Reps, APR Stage 1, Forge Twintake, Remus catback, BSH PCV Fix, 034 Motorsport Mounts, WALK, Whiteline bushings (F&R), Whiteline RSB, Whiteline BSK, Whiteline adjustable end links, H&R Sport Cup Kit, Stoptech Drilled Rotors, Hawk Pads, Tyrolsport stainless lines, Tyrolsport Calliper bushings, Tyrolsport DeadSet Subframe kit.

4th Gear

Status
    Simpler to do RNS-e first. Put the price of a Concert to it!

I have a 2005 and did the d/din and symphony conversion first, but I wish I'd gone straight for the RNS-e......

No antenna problems.

5th Gear

Status
    I converted mine from single concert to a rnse in 3 hour, but I don't have the hazard button trim yet as I'm not paying the price the stealers want! Might get the facelift buttons just unsure how to mod buttons!

F2
    Reverse Gear

Status
    Ok, we'll may just put in an rns-e straight away, if it makes life a lot easier! Managed to get myself a cracking deal from a breakers yard... Double din cage, all the buttons and trim for £50 or £75 with the dual climate panel... Bit his arm of with that, then realised the dual climate didn't have the heated seats.... So ended up with most of it from there and got another climate on ebay, just being lazy as could have trimmed my old one down I suppose!

Best to go for the newer rns-e with the glossy screen trim? I think they end in G part number? Also do I need the plug and play loom and antenna adapter for the rns-e?

JPK
    1st Gear

Status
    Which wrecker had the climate? I need a nice and cheap one and don't need heated seats.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JPK View Post
    Which wrecker had the climate? I need a nice and cheap one and don't need heated seats.
    Not hard to shave the single din to fit, just a bit at a time.

"Cruise My Ride"

Status
    Hi fella, I have a symphony 2 double din unit which has the 6 cd changer built in. I don't have the code for it, so you will need to find that out, but if you want the stereo, looking for around £30.
    It will be a straight plug and play as it uses the same iso connectors.
    VCDS Owner-North London/Enfield
    " To Cruise Is What I Do"

Neutral

Status
    I'll buy the single din concert unit off you if you're looking rid! (provided you have code!)

Quote Originally Posted by F2 View Post
    I'm currently ripping out my single din radio, climate control and cage assembly in my 2006 A3 s-line, to replace it with a double din cage assembly ready to receive a rns-e later in the year... (Probably my Xmas present to myself!) so, in the meantime, I am looking to put a double din concert radio in the large gap! I have been looking on ebay for a used one to come up, but they all seem to say 2007 onwards? Is it not just as simple as a straight swap, single din for double din? Also is it easy to get a radio code for a second hand set? Is this something I can do with vcds?