Oil Leak... not sure where exactly

Sevv

Pushing the limits..
Reaction score
Hey guys, been doing my weekly check on the car and sadly found this... :( was cleaning the engine bay so i didn't find any leaks on the top of the engine .. and im thinking its the rear main seal can anyone please possibly confirm this for me . also sorry for the bad photo galaxy 3's camera is horrid.

20130705_145225_zps25589a49.jpg

20130705_145250_zpse6ba1860.jpg

Looks like a fairly clean / new oil. Has anyone added oil to the engine lately?

It had a service around 2500 Km's ago , i check the dip stick seems fine I've just been getting conflicting information in regards, to the source of the leak.. been told it may be the sump gasket or rear

Looks too far on to the box to be the rear main or the sump, the oil would be around the engine to gearbox join on the left of the photo not where it is now where the two halfs of the gearbox casing join. And it isn't gearbox oil.

Looks like its ran down the front of the box so check above.

Looks too far on to the box to be the rear main or the sump, the oil would be around the engine to gearbox join on the left of the photo not where it is now where the two halfs of the gearbox casing join. And it isn't gearbox oil.

Looks like its ran down the front of the box so check above.

thanks allot bmh i dont know how i didnt see that ill try to check now and report back .. guess the CAI was obstructing my vision ill try to post pic of the top of the gearbox or engine if i find it... is there any common fault possibly as to where they leak like the old 1.8T's S3 had the hlaf moon seal and rear main along with sump gasket issues

i guess its coming from the top as ive checked it... maybe the back to top but not too sure its under the HPFP towards the back of the engine bay.. and its leaking at the back of the bell housing and dripping all the way down? is there any common leaks around that are at all ?

IMG_0003_zpsd27720f6.jpg
IMG_0001_zpscdbe9aa7.jpg

anyone ? not too familiar still with this engines.. can it be the cam cover gasket?

check drive shaft oil seal this happened to mine.

i well its going on the hoist on eeither thursday or friday and not driving it anyway.. i just cant spot the damn leak but as BMH said its leaking down the back end of the gearbox

be carefull driving it cause if its gear box oil you will end up with a big bill.

check what colour the oil us before driving if black then engine oil should be ok.

yeah its black oil.. surprisingly it hasn't leaked in 3 days.. thats with a piece of cardboard under it.. and the workshop i showed the pictures too along with awesomegti think its the crank seal.. i just dont think it is like bmh stated