Ap Racing 6 pot troubles

Josh williams

Reaction score
Right so ive got these exact brakes

Now recently when i come to a sharp stop from say 70mph they really drone and its asif they are fading out, not what id expect from these brakes anyway. The disks are good and the pads have plenty left.

Also now and then if i am crawling in traffic in 1st gear the passenger side one you can hear making a noise asif the pads are gripping the disk, its a strange sound. Now i dont no how old the brakes are as they come on the car. So are they needed a service or what?

Also how much are new disks and pads for these brakes?

I would remove the pads, give that area a good clean up & see if this helps, any scoring in the discs?

Nope, no real signs of anything, the calipers look like the could do with a good refurb to be honest.

Just not sure what the noise on the passenger side is, and whether the fade is down to the brake fluid boiling?

I have those brakes on a GT4 Celica of mine (they were new when I bought the car and brake kit as a project - which is now finished) and you'd have to be giving the car absolutely loads to boil the fluid so maybe exclude that !Have you had them on long ? Depending on what pads you have I would say you need to put some heat in them to bring the brakes upto temperature - on my car you have to press pretty hard to make em work when they are cold (no ABS) but if you stomp on them all 4 wheels can be made to lock up - not ideal I know, just saying !
IMG_1122.jpg
SAM_0722.jpg
Martin

I was speaking to the brake god (Dave B) a couple of days ago and he was saying that if you are using more race focused pads and you dont go out every couple of weeks and get them really hot, then they will go off and be ruined as they are designed to be at their most effective when they are hot. The resin which is built into the pads is designed to melt in with the pads and then that gives them the stopping power. If the pads you are using have gone "off" so to speak, it might be time to change them. He also says that its nigh on impossible to boil the brake fluid unless you are doing very long stints on track days and even then its rare.

(I am interpretting what Dave said here so any misrepresentation is completely un-intentional!)

Reactions: N8
I was speaking to the brake god (Dave B) a couple of days ago and he was saying that if you are using more race focused pads and you dont go out every couple of weeks and get them really hot, then they will go off and be ruined as they are designed to be at their most effective when they are hot. The resin which is built into the pads is designed to melt in with the pads and then that gives them the stopping power. If the pads you are using have gone "off" so to speak, it might be time to change them. He also says that its nigh on impossible to boil the brake fluid unless you are doing very long stints on track days and even then its rare. (I am interpretting what Dave said here so any misrepresentation is completely un-intentional!)
Sounds about right, you have to work these fellas to get temperature in them before they begin to be effective. The irony is that the brakes do feel rubbish initially which is not what you expect ! You just have to stomp on them to get them to work but in my case without ABS this can be fun ! Pads are NOT cheap either ...Martin

Right went out last night and made sure they were hot.

After that they were stupidly powerful, i think my problem was not heating them up enough!

How much are discs and pads for these does anyone no?

Right went out last night and made sure they were hot.

After that they were stupidly powerful, i think my problem was not heating them up enough!

How much are discs and pads for these does anyone no?

Pretty much what I do with mine to burn off any glaze on the pads.

What pads are you using?

I swapped from Ferodo DS2500s to Mintex 1155s,and found them vastly better in terms of feel,progression and initial bite.

Im not actually sure mate they came on the car, would just be after a set of all rounder pads as i dont track it or drive it fast that much

Im not actually sure mate they came on the car, would just be after a set of all rounder pads as i dont track it or drive it fast that much

AP's usually come with half decent pads,so I'd be surprised if they were something awful,but as James says,they're the sort of pads that glaze if they aren't used properly.

Hi josh sorry to hear about this ,they look awesome brakes , best to speak to dave brown ,see whats best ...

I've got the front AP disc set up on my RS3 too, a big improvement over standard.

In my experience grooved discs always make a droning sound, caused by the grooves. I'd say there is a little more vibration back through the wheel and brake pedal too - but I see this as a good thing as you know they are working.

I think the sound you are hearing at low speed is just surface 'rust' if the discs have been wet or a build up of pad material that, as others have said, can be cleared with a couple of quick stops. Have you noticed how much dust runs out of the grooves when you wash the car? The grooves really do a great job of stopping the pads glazing over.

I've got PAGID RS4-2 Blue pads (about £250 a set, cheaper than Audi OEM on the RS3) as a good compromise between road and track. I'd recommend these.

As for the disc cost, remember you only need to replace the disc itself (or floating rotor as some call it), the hub will be fine, which is much cheaper than replacing the whole unit.

Reactions: Kelza
Thanks for that MBK What sort of prices are just the replacement rotors do you know?

Okay mate cheers!

Im thinking of selling the car anyway so i perhaps won't need any!

Ds2500 on them Josh. Fast Road nothing to worry about