Coolant loss?

imy2k

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi all , I have a coolant loss that is starting to bug me . I had my waterpump changed not soo long ago . I have a feeling its my coolant tank cap because it becomes loose not excessively and i can see condensation bubbles and after a long drive hear a sort of hissing noise as so its loosing pressure . I can also smell coolant after a long drive there is a few white stuff floating on top of the water but not alot at all Could getting a new coolant cap sort it or Or could it be something worse . Any advise would be appreciated thanks all

It could be loads of things, but for the sake of a tenner I'd just replace it and see. Audi keep them on the shelf, so I'd start with this first.

The cap should seal the system, is the hiss definitely from the cap?

How loose is loose, it should be tightly fully closed tbh, it actually has a kind of little raised locking tab that the twist of a human hand allows it to turn over to undo as such, but this stops it from undoing by itself, so unless this is worn, it should stay as you last left it.

The cap should seal the system, is the hiss definitely from the cap?

How loose is loose, it should be tightly fully closed tbh, it actually has a kind of little raised locking tab that the twist of a human hand allows it to turn over to undo as such, but this stops it from undoing by itself, so unless this is worn, it should stay as you last left it.

Your cap also has a relief in it

There are more places to lose coolant from that you could shake a stick at unfortunately.

Mine has had it's primary pump replaced,and developed a leak at the lower water pump(the one that circulates water after the engine is switched off).
It also had a couple of sneaky little leaks from those plastic clips that Audi fit,at the top of the system,near to the radiator.

You have to go round the system looking for signs of leaks and counting them off as you go.