Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Mutty2000
  • 1 Post By RobbieWebs

Thread: Help!! Audi A3 1.6 tdi or 2.0 tdi

Reverse Gear

Status

Help!! Audi A3 1.6 tdi or 2.0 tdi

Hi All,

I am thinking about purchasing a audi a3 1.6tdi sportback, but have been put off by various threads informing users about the low MPG return. I do a daily 20 mile one way commute at 70-80MPH in free flowing traffic. I am now in two minds about if I should purchase the Audi A3 2.0 tdi sportback rather than the Audi a3 1.6tdi sportback. Any Advice?

2. # ADS
    ADS

Drive safe, stay alive.

Status
    Go for the 2.0Tdi it's more refined, and has more power which feels a lot better on motorway driving.
    tbh, test drive both and see how they feel
    Current: 8P3 '59 2.0 TFSI 3DR S-Line | Adaptive Bixenons with DLR's | Folding electric mirrors | Heated half leathers |
    Previous : '06 2.0 TDi Sportback in Dolphin Grey| SE | DSG | Satnav | Privacy glass | auto lights | comfort pack |

Reverse Gear

Status
    I currently own a VW Bora 1.9 tdi and have test drove the 1.6tdi on normal road. It didn't feel too sluggish as my main aim is increasing my MPG. Do you believe the 2.0 tdi would give better MPG then the 1.6 tdi as I will doing more 70MPH plus motorway driving?
    mozza1202 likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    I've got a 2.0 140 and it has loads of poke and im still getting 42mpg with 4 worn out injectors lol.
    Seems to be the best a3 to go for

RED FIVE STANDING BY
    Zookeeper Champion

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutty2000 View Post
    Hi All,

I am thinking about purchasing a audi a3 1.6tdi sportback, but have been put off by various threads informing users about the low MPG return. I do a daily 20 mile one way commute at 70-80MPH in free flowing traffic. I am now in two minds about if I should purchase the Audi A3 2.0 tdi sportback rather than the Audi a3 1.6tdi sportback. Any Advice?
    Defo the 2.0lt as Sliced said 1.6tdi is a to smaller unit to pull the weight of the A3 and give good mpg
    58reg 2.0tdi 140(WAS) S-line Monza Silver withSUPERCHIP BLUEFIN
    S3 front grill/gloss fog light surrounds/rnse/gloss gunmetal wheels/EZ front spliter

1st Gear

Status
    My dad has a mk7 golf 1.6 tdi bluemotion, its not bad. Pretty much silent especially at idle, makes a nice induction noise at low revs, much nicer than my 140tdi! £35 a year car tax and he gets 60 odd mpg.
    2008 A3 1.8t FSI Sportback S-Line - Avus Silver - Full spec.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmileyone View Post
    My dad has a mk7 golf 1.6 tdi bluemotion, its not bad. Pretty much silent especially at idle, makes a nice induction noise at low revs, much nicer than my 140tdi! £35 a year car tax and he gets 60 odd mpg.

These sort of replies confuse me more :-s, what type of driving does your dad do is it A road or Motorway?

Reverse Gear

Status
    Looks like alot are in favour of the 2.0 Tdi 140 bhp plus these are 30 per yr road tax :-)

5th Gear

Status
    On motorway sitting at 70mph for over 10minz my average was 49mpg and mine is quite tuned
    A3 2.0TDI FWD sportback with GT1756 250.3bhp 336ft lb, forge boost hoses red, milltek decat system, BMC panel filter, golf gti edition 30 full front brakes brembo pads, black honeycomb grill, full oem s line kit + cupra r lip, LED side lights, OEM xenons, LED interior lighting, LED A8 number plate lights, boost gauge, alloy catch can with red hoses, FBSW, windows tinted, de-badged, now on air ride with chassis notch BBS CH

6th Gear

Status
    WORN OUT INJECTORS ????

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_c99 View Post
    I've got a 2.0 140 and it has loads of poke and im still getting 42mpg with 4 worn out injectors lol.
    Seems to be the best a3 to go for
    Full Leather / heated Seats / 18" Speedlines / AP coilover kit / R32 Rear 310mm Brakes / window Tints / Auto lights / Xenons / Cruise control / R32 Front 345mm Brakes / Full milltek system / Led side lights / Bose / brushed aluminium inlays / panal filter / Full Egr delete / custom map with hot start fix / Hybrid Turbo / Sachs Racing clutch / 10mm Rear spacers / 10mm Front spacers / A5 LED number plate bulbs /

233 bhp - 309 ft lb - 419 nm (NEEDS A NEW MAP)

2nd Gear

Status
    Both will get good returns on that kind of journey. Makes sense that the 1.6 would give you better MPG, its certainly not sluggish (I have a 3dr) as Mutty2000 said but I would certainly go for the 2.0L if its a sportback as this might be too much for the smaller engine. If theres not much in it, go for the 2.0L!
    Brilliant Black 61 Plate A3 1.6 TDI

Mods: S3 BE 5 Spoke Rotor Wheels with Goodyear EfficientGrip
    , AppRadio 2, 80% tints, Diamond Vision Headlights

Drive safe, stay alive.

Status
    I get around 58mpg on the motorway in my 2.0 tdi
    Current: 8P3 '59 2.0 TFSI 3DR S-Line | Adaptive Bixenons with DLR's | Folding electric mirrors | Heated half leathers |
    Previous : '06 2.0 TDi Sportback in Dolphin Grey| SE | DSG | Satnav | Privacy glass | auto lights | comfort pack |

4th Gear

Status
    59mpg on a pd170 on a motorway journey. I had a 62 plate 1.6 tdi for a few days as a hire car, and in my opinion u have to work that engine to get going. In the 2.0l ull find everythings alot lot more effortless. Got 2.0, if u go 1.6 im sure u'll regret it and wish u bought the 2.0
    2006 Audi A3 2.0 TDI S-Line 8P2 PD170 - Dolphin Grey Metallic - The problem child
    1994 VW Golf VR6 - Mystic Blue - The money thief
    VCDS User

Neutral

Status
    I have a 2.0 TDI 140 and on my 40 mile commute to work I can get anywhere between 65 and 80 mpg with very careful driving. I've got a couple of pictures to back me up because I realise how silly that sounds!

Also for economy driving cruise control is your ENEMY.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Riichard View Post
    I have a 2.0 TDI 140 and on my 40 mile commute to work I can get anywhere between 65 and 80 mpg with very careful driving. I've got a couple of pictures to back me up because I realise how silly that sounds!

Also for economy driving cruise control is your ENEMY.
    80mpg is epic! Maybe the 2.0L can give better returns as you don't have to drive it as hard. How many miles do you get from a tank? Been playing with the idea of cruise control but guessed that it wasn't great for economy!

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Zak0123 View Post
    80mpg is epic! Maybe the 2.0L can give better returns as you don't have to drive it as hard. How many miles do you get from a tank? Been playing with the idea of cruise control but guessed that it wasn't great for economy!
    This is actually my first week at work so I'm not sure. A quick tot up of calculations means I've done around 335 miles and I still have 2/3rds of a tank left. If I get 900 miles out of it I'll be very happy.

As for cruise control - it's because usually there are small hills etc on the roads. To get better economy you want slight SLIGHT acceleration downhill so you're not placing much load on the engine at all but still gaining speed, then on the uphill you are decelerating slightly so your economy doesn't go down the pan. With cruise control you are keeping the same speed downhill, which sure helps but then on the uphills it tries to maintain the steady speed ruining the economy. I do about 50-55-60 on the motorway depending on hills etc and that's how I managed to scrape 80MPG!

For slower situations reading the road ahead really helps. Brakes waste fuel; if you see cars moving slowly ahead and/or junctions put the car in the highest gear possible and coast towards it, only braking when you really need to. It helps massively!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmileyone View Post

What does your 140 tdi get and Not many 1.6 tdi drivers :-S, must be a reason for this....

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutty2000 View Post
    What does your 140 tdi get and Not many 1.6 tdi drivers :-S, must be a reason for this....
    2.0 tdi been around since 2004. 1.6 2008-2009 onwards i think. Also, theres a pd140 and a cr140, so there will be differences there too. There is also pd140s with and without dpf's, again there will be differences in performance.
    2006 Audi A3 2.0 TDI S-Line 8P2 PD170 - Dolphin Grey Metallic - The problem child
    1994 VW Golf VR6 - Mystic Blue - The money thief
    VCDS User

Drive safe, stay alive.

Status
    think the 1.6tdi replaced the 1.9 tdi's

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sliced View Post
    think the 1.6tdi replaced the 1.9 tdi's
    I did my research and te 1.6 tdi replaced the 1.9 tdie and they have moved over to 2.0 tdi now and have stopped making the 1.9 tdi engines. Something about a common rack rail .... I am disappointed with the 1.6 tdi being this uneconomical.

4th Gear

Status
    Just get a 2.0 tdi 140. U would regret getting a 1.6 after a while I'm sure . Using cruise control I can still get 58 - 60 mpg doing 70mph. Sounds like more hassle than its worth trying to get 80 mpg ... The whole point of the car is to enjoy it and have a play around with the throttle not scrimp on using fuel lol
    SPARTAN91 likes this.
    Audi A4 BE 2.0 TDI 177 Quattro

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbieWebs View Post
    Just get a 2.0 tdi 140. U would regret getting a 1.6 after a while I'm sure . Using cruise control I can still get 58 - 60 mpg doing 70mph. Sounds like more hassle than its worth trying to get 80 mpg ... The whole point of the car is to enjoy it and have a play around with the throttle not scrimp on using fuel lol
    Agreed! Good to know what you can achieve though. Might try 50mph for the 30 mile journey tonight and see what I can achieve! Super exciting stuff! NAT.

3rd Gear

Status
    The whole point of the car is to enjoy it and have a play around with the throttle not scrimp on using fuel lol
    Should have got a 2.0T then.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Zak0123 View Post
    Agreed! Good to know what you can achieve though. Might try 50mph for the 30 mile journey tonight and see what I can achieve! Super exciting stuff! NAT
    Depends on the car and the person I suppose! I bought the 140 for the balance of power and economy. I'd much rather spend 10 mins extra in my day driving slower and getting buzzed to the music I put on than wasting fuel. Then I can spend the extra cash on mods/upgrades and other things in life like alcohol!

Quote Originally Posted by Minstadave View Post
    My thoughts exactly.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Minstadave View Post
    Agree with that but the diesel is a fine compromise of power and economy and 30 quid road tax a year

Quote Originally Posted by Riichard View Post
    Depends on the car and the person I suppose! I bought the 140 for the balance of power and economy. I'd much rather spend 10 mins extra in my day driving slower and getting buzzed to the music I put on than wasting fuel. Then I can spend the extra cash on mods/upgrades and other things in life like alcohol! My thoughts exactly.
    Everyone to their own bud, I always have the best intentions of driving normally but cant help myself with a quick blast past a few slow moving vehicles ...
    Its not really wasting fuel, just a different way of spending it lol
    Audi A4 BE 2.0 TDI 177 Quattro

Reverse Gear

Status
    Agree with that but the diesel is a fine compromise of power and economy and 30 quid road tax a year

Everyone to their own bud, I always have the best intentions of driving normally but cant help myself with a quick blast past a few slow moving vehicles ...
    Its not really wasting fuel, just a different way of spending it lol

Thanks for the advice now, I am looking for a 2.0 tdi on a 59 plate :-). Anyone selling one eh :-p