A3 TDI S-Line quattro; suspension (2005).

A19quattro

Reaction score
I am needing to replace teh 2 rear shox on the above car, when I forst got it I thought the best thing was to stick to the S-Line suspension and genuine dealer parts but I am now doubting the wisdom of that. Don't get me wrong I like the S-Line suspension and don't think the ride height is too bad, given it's quattro and I may need some ground clearance at some stage to see the benefits of 4wd. So bearing all this in mind I suppose my first question is; what exactly is S-line suspension, what shox and what drop of spring?
I have found I have 2 odd springs at the back, I think an original and an afermarket replacement and this got me thinkking, if I replace for 2 new S-Line springs, the chances are the car will sit a bit higher, not keen on this prospect and more leaning towards a little lower. I considered maybe coilovers on the back only but don't think it's a great idea as I think from what I have read the back would be stiffer than the front, anyone tried this?
Next idea is S3 springs which I think are a bit lower than S-Line, not sure about ratings though, anyone tried this?
Feel free to tell me to shaddup and just buy S-Line or whatever, loking for peoples genuine opinions and advice, cheers.

If your not genuinely looking to go low but are looking around then I would think best choice is either S3 springs (35mm) as they are lower then the sline (25mm) or if that's hard to find then a set of H&R's 35mm. Would sit just like the S3.

What about spring ratings though, if I went S3 at the back and S-Line at the front, would I notice a difference?
Don't get me wrong the OCD would kick in and I would want S3 fronts ASAP ;)
I looked at H&Rs and didn't like the progressive wynding thing, can't remember if I said or not but I did have Eibachs on my last Golf and liked them but one broke in the first year which was a bit disappointing.

Reactions: mozza1202
I have the same car mate. I have s3 springs in mine and the front sits just about the same the rears a tiny drop. No difference in handling or ride comfort either, That I could notice anyway.

If you want I will sell you my old genuine audi springs from the s line Quattro done around 40000 with no signs of wear etc. pm me and we can discuss a price if you like.

Cheers for the offer but I am planning a kind of mini re-furb prior to the MOT and hoping to get some new bits, shox etc. I got to a stage with my old car where I needed to re-build the front and back suspension, it would have been expensive relative to the cost of the car and I would never have seen the money again. I decided I would really be better with a newer car but with teh understanding I may need to do some of the same work but at least I would be improving a newer car and should see some return at the end. Anyone know what the shock absorbers are, ie make, suspect tehy will be Sachs or something and for example would S3 ones be an upgrade or is there somethng better out there? Also anyone got part numbers for S3 springs or even the coulour codes?

Last edited:
I've thought of a potential problem. Won't the ratings, thinking particualrly of the front springs be greater for a Diesel as the engine will be heavier than the S3 petrol? In which case I would only be able to use the rears and maybe I would be better with H&R or similar so I could get the full set eventually. I am not sure if the heavier Diesel engine thing still applies, anyone know?
Cheers for the couours Jack, will keep a note of that.

I would in reality have the same set of springs all around, I've been on h&r's long time now and got to rate them 5*

I've thought of a potential problem. Won't the ratings, thinking particualrly of the front springs be greater for a Diesel as the engine will be heavier than the S3 petrol? In which case I would only be able to use the rears and maybe I would be better with H&R or similar so I could get the full set eventually. I am not sure if the heavier Diesel engine thing still applies, anyone know?
Cheers for the couours Jack, will keep a note of that.

Mine is fine. May be some physics behind it but its still drives and handles fine :)

Reactions: A19quattro
Sorry, been on hols for a week so just back, cheers for the responses. I think the heavier engne thing maybe doesn't really apply now but as someone above said probably best to have the same springs all round.
On teh H&R topic, the thing I wasn't keen on was the way the coils that are closer together touch when the car is being used, eventually wearing the paint off, understand it's the progressive springing thing which I do like teh idea of but I seem to have enough difficulty keeping springs in good condition and not snapping without them having what seems to be a bit of a design fault to start with or am I just paranoid now???
Having said that I was just reading a build thread for an Audi S2 and the guy bought a 2nd hand set of H&Rs and got them blasted and powder coated before fitting, my luck would be i would do all that and one would break 1st trip out.

Hi Folks, still struggling a bit on the shock absorbers side of things. Decided the S3 springs are the ones I want but which shocks? Bilstein B4s are a strong possibility, B6s are better I believe and more of an upgrade but twice the price and not sure they are worth it. Can get Sachs from ECP for £70 odd or genuine Audi for about £100, prices all inc vat and some with discount. Appreciate people's views as I would like to get this right and then at a later date buy the equivelant stuff for the front, cheers.

I am being told by TPS that the S3 spring colour codes above are incorrect.
I also gave them 2 S3 reg no.s (from Autotrader) to check but one came up as a Transit van and the other a TDI Sport.
Don't know if it's them or me, anyone help???

I'm 99% sure the part numbers are right sounds like tps are wrong to me. Can't even get number plates to correspond to the right vehicle....

Go to audi and ask for a quote....

Hi Jack, cheers for the response and comments. they hate anything that involves effort so I tried to do some of the leg work nysle buty still they haven't got it right. I have a couple more reg no.s for them, positive these are S3s this time so hopefully we will get somwhere today. I don't suppose it matters what S3 it is, presumably they will all be the same ride height?
Got my Bilsteins yesterday but no dust covers and bump stops, which is why I needed them in the first place, if the bump stops hadn't fell apart allowing the dirt in etc etc. I was going to buy Powerflex ones (not sure Audi would supply separate to the shox and slightly disappointed Bilsteins come incomplete, sure I will be re-impressed once on the car though) but there isn't a kit for the A3 quattro but the Bilstein literature seemed to say they could supply them. According to my supplier though they can't, so back to the drawing board and have ordered the Powerflex universal kit, anyone had similar problems?

May have sussed the springs thing, the first reg I gave them, rears were coloured Lilac, Lilac, Lilac......similar to purple, maybe colours front to back the wrong way round in the original post? Ordered anyway, S3 springs, should be all the same ride height, just need the other bits an pieces and I can get started with the job, cheers for the help and advice to everyone :)

Last edited: